You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overprint missing features @ Affinity Design

Hi folks!

I'm a packaging designer and I use a lot by the competitor to make me designes.
Since 2019, I started to work with Affinity solutions including Affinity Designer, but I miss the overprint features on it. I know that I can setup overprint features on spot colors, but it only for spot colors. Because when I design packaging, sometimes I need to setup overprint on color on stroke but can't put overprint on the fill (knockout) on same object that it uses same color. The competitor uses this feature for spot or process (CMYK) colors.  I tried to use "daken" mode applied on appearance tool just on stroke, but it didn't run well.
Another feature that I miss is the preview mode where I can see the overprints on screen.

Hi @MarioMello,

You can set up any colour with Overprint, it doesn't need to be a Spot Colour... I agree that it would be a really great addition to have an Overprint Preview as part of the Affinity Suite...

Overprint.png.87e98dcbf8c6f0eaa1be6ac2e99eb019.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

What is still not possible, yet:

• To set/unset a colour to overprint _after_ it was created.
  • Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

1 hour ago, MarioMello said:

setup overprint by objects not only by colors

Absolutely!

Normally I would have completely ignored these overprinting colours and would have instead requested adding the missing feature "set object-based overprinting to fill or outline" but... I see the long list of things I want to be added to the Affinity apps (just for feature parity with Adobe CS5 in terms of print production) and then I restrain myself and accept that it will take them a little bit more time to get there...

(I am very confident, though, as the Affinity team is at least very transparent what they are currently doing.)

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

3 hours ago, woefi said:

What is still not possible, yet:

• To set/unset a colour to overprint _after_ it was created.

?
You can select and unselect "Overprint" from the context menu, as long as it's a global color.
(Or is it a Win only issue? Works on Mac.)

That said… +1,000,000 for object overprinting!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

33 minutes ago, loukash said:

You can select and unselect "Overprint" from the context menu

Wow, thank you!

I always looked for this in the "edit colour" box...

EDIT COLOUR looks the same as CREATE COLOUR but without the overprint checkbox why would they hide it there?

8 minutes ago, woefi said:

I always looked for this in the "edit colour" box...

Yeah, if only developers would follow the good ole Human Interface Guidelines:

Always make context menu items available in the main interface, too. For example, in Mail in iOS and iPadOS, the context menu items that are available for a message in the Inbox are also available in the toolbar of the message view. In macOS, an app’s menu bar menus list all the app’s commands, including those in various context menus.

But hey, why should they – is what they likely think – when even Apple increasingly doesn't follow their own rules… :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

9 hours ago, loukash said:

?
You can select and unselect "Overprint" from the context menu, as long as it's a global color.
(Or is it a Win only issue? Works on Mac.)

That said… +1,000,000 for object overprinting!

Unfortunately in Brazil, almost solutions are based on Windows PC including mine.

I found out a single but could be a hard (difficult) way that can help packaging designers.
You can select the object and setup it manually the stroke width, color desire and finally on apparency tab put it as Darken mode. At this moment you can have a preview of your "overprints" and save your job as PDF/X4 to send it to your preferred print provider.

You just need to take care to correctly put the objects in the correct order to don't make mistakes on the print result.

Remember to put light colors bellow the dark colors.

image.png.dbbfc2110d7c0b454d00f5f05b65fc31.png

The result on Acrobat Pro.

image.png.e2794d0f3e13b25068bae0c6b8318f1f.png

31 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Multiply mode should give you the same visual indication and pdf result, too.

Yes, you are correct.
The only difference that I saw was the monitor difference that is visually only.

image.png.7d590001bf55e6e022b6db85b3149d3e.png

On Acrobat Pro, using Fogra 39, on monitor should little bit darker on Multiply mode.

image.png.f9cd9b0e4fb7b3b7c8240efd4ca7835a.png