You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2.2.0 Display the height and width of the current selection in the Info box

Windows 10 Pro x64
Affinity Photo 2.2.0

To be clear at the start, I am not asking for:

• Instructions on tools, or changes to tools.
  • Instructions on hotkeys, or changes to hotkeys.
  • Instructions on changing cursors, or any new cursors.
  • Instructions on changing macros, or any new macros.

Here is a very simple example of what I would like to see happen:

1. Open an image file.
  2. Type CTRL-A. The entire image is now selected. (Yes, there are easier ways to see the dimensions of an entire image. But this is the simplest example I could think of.)
  3. What are the dimensions of what I have selected? I would like to see this information on my screen, preferably in the Info box. I would not like to have to click additional tools or keyboard combinations in order to see it. I would like it to be displayed in the Info box at all times (if something is selected, of course).

Whether the selection has been made with a keyboard shortcut, or a lasso, or a magic wand, or a color-range-select -- none of that should matter. If a region(s) is selected, I would like to see the height and width of what is currently selected displayed in the Info box.

I hope I am being clear, but if you have any questions about what I mean, do please ask me. Please be as specific as you can about what I have been unclear about.

Thank you.

P.S. See also:

8 hours ago, bblackmoor said:

Here is a very simple example of what I would like to see happen:

1. Open an image file.
  2. Type CTRL-A. The entire image is now selected. (Yes, there are easier ways to see the dimensions of an entire image. But this is the simplest example I could think of.)
  3. What are the dimensions of what I have selected? I would like to see this information on my screen, preferably in the Info box. I would not like to have to click additional tools or keyboard combinations in order to see it. I would like it to be displayed in the Info box at all times (if something is selected, of course).
  1. Open an image file.
  2. Press V - the dimensions of the image will be shown in the Transform panel.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

20 minutes ago, MikeTO said:
  1. Open an image file.
  2. Press V - the dimensions of the image will be shown in the Transform panel.

1. Open image file.
  2. Select >> Color Range >> Select Green.
  3. Press v (or shift-v, aka V -- same result).
  4. Does not show the dimensions of the selection anywhere, as far as I can tell (see screenshot).

I would like the dimensions of the current selection (if any) to be displayed, at all times, preferably in the Info box (which is where I, and I would have thought most other people...?) would expect to see it.

Also, I am not transforming anything, yet. I have simply selected it. Maybe I'll transform it. Maybe I'll copy it to paste elsewhere. Maybe I just want to know how big the selection is.

Anyway, that is my feedback and suggestion. Thank you for your time.

image.thumb.png.2d3e2ac05f7bbc83d36e25b9d17c649d.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 12:18 AM, bblackmoor said:

Also, I am not transforming anything, yet. I have simply selected it. Maybe I'll transform it. Maybe I'll copy it to paste elsewhere. Maybe I just want to know how big the selection is.

Anyway, that is my feedback and suggestion. Thank you for your time.

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2023 at 9:45 PM, bblackmoor said:

I would like it to be displayed in the Info box at all times (if something is selected, of course).

You're "barking up the wrong tree", so to speak. The Info panel is meant to provide live info about the cursor or about a deliberately placed target (i.e. a fixed "cursor alias"). Not about existing objects or selections.
Recommended reading: https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Panels/infoPanel.html

• To see the selection position and dimensions (and other infowhile you're drawing a marquee selection, watch the Info panel. 
  • To see the position and dimensions of an existing marquee selection, watch the Transform panel.
    Yep, you can also transform a selection numerically in the Transform panel. Unless the Move tool is selected: then you'll be transforming the content of the selection.
  • To see object position and dimensions, select it with the Move tool while no marquee selection is active and watch the Transform panel.
16 hours ago, bblackmoor said:

Have there been any recent changes that are relevant to this suggestion?

The intended workflow behaves the same in v2.3 like it already did in v1. Whether there were any bugs inbetween, I don't remember.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 minutes ago, loukash said:

To see the position and dimensions of an existing marquee selection, watch the Transform panel.

To clarify in more details:
If no object is selected on the canvas or in the Layers panel, then the Move tool logically cannot show any dimensions whatsoever. The Move tool requires an object selection. An object will always be represented in the Layers panel. A marquee selection on its own isn't an object.

So to see the dimensions of a marquee selection in the Transform panel while no object is selected, you simply select the corresponding Marquee tool to restore the context.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

@bblackmoor’s request is valid and logical.

My $0.02: Like many others, I use two monitors. My 'Studio' has all of the panels I use arranged carefully on the second monitor, and my document(s) on the main monitor. I have worked this way for many years; can't stand it otherwise. With all of my panels always open/visible, this issue is not a big deal for me. In fact, I was so accustomed to seeing the selection dimensions in the Transform panel, I wasn't even aware it didn't show up in the Info panel.

But ... if/when you're not on multiple monitors (laptop, iPad...), and you keep the Info panel visible, not having a selection's dimensions there makes zero sense. It clearly knows what dimensions are—it shows them while you're dragging a marquee selection—yet they disappear when you release the mouse. The fact that the Info panel shows a glaringly-blank W: -- and H: -- while there is still a selection seems to demonstrate, rather clearly, that it's not working as intended and expected. The Affinity Info panel is designed to function like the Adobe Info panel which, logically, shows the dimensions of a selection.

Given that the 'functionality' exists in the Transform panel may make this issue less than urgent to fix, but it is an issue nonetheless, IMHO. Hopefully this particular 'little thing' will get addressed soon; it sure seems like 'low-hanging fruit.'

If you've read anything I've posted before, you know I'm a huge fan of Serif for building the Affinity Suite as an alternative to the abhorrent practice of software rental. And the suite has come a long way over the last 18-24 months. However, there are a number of 'little things' and missing basics that detract from the otherwise-good experience, especially for the professionals that Serif is targeting and needs to continue to grow. And I think we all want that.

Did Info in Adobe show the dimensions on hover? I seem to remember it did. I am in Transform a ton doing polishing up but having to deselect something I am working on only to activate another thing just to check dimensions does disrupt workflow a bit at times. Plus being able to see things at a glance by running through them with cursor would be handy... if having to check many items all at once I can see it being tedious for certain workflows.

6 hours ago, _Th said:

The fact that the Info panel shows a glaringly-blank W: -- and H: -- while there is still a selection seems to demonstrate, rather clearly, that it's not working as intended and expected.

In my opinion, it works exactly as it was intended (see Help), where it says nothing about the position and size of the "selection", but only talks about the cursor.
https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Panels/infoPanel.html

P.S. Info panel displays the current position of the cursor and the size of the drag operation (negative when moving to the left) in DU. If the "pixel selection" size value was left there, how would the new cursor position be displayed during an ADD/SUB operation? Therefore, if the Info panel should display the dimensions of the selection, then only as completely different values.

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, Pšenda said:

In my opinion, it works exactly as it was intended [...]

Respectfully, this is a request/suggestion for desired functionality, not an inquiry into intended functionality.

Here is an example of the functionality I would like added, as shown in a competitor's application (which is what I am currently using).

selection_example_01.jpg

selection_example_02.jpg

selection_example_03.jpg

1 hour ago, bblackmoor said:

Respectfully, this is a request/suggestion for desired functionality, not an inquiry into intended functionality.

Respectfully, I am not responding to your request, but to _Th's claim "that it's not working as intended and expected" - as can be deduced from the meaning of the post and following its context.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

12 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Did Info in Adobe show the dimensions on hover?

Not that I'm aware of, at least not in my ancient (CS6?) version; there has to be a pixel selection. It does/did however show the coordinates and change of position as you drag or resize something. Affinity mostly mirrors this functionality as well, albeit with a very noticeable lag, at least on my system.

6 hours ago, Pšenda said:

In my opinion, it works exactly as it was intended (see Help)

You might be technically correct re: intention, though I wouldn't say omission in the help docs is an indicator; they're pretty sparse in places. (However, I'm happy to see that the help docs are improving.)

I think we can agree that Serif started with Adobe's platform as, shall we say, inspiration. Understandable as they have dominated the space literally for decades, and for good reason—confiscatory rental model notwithstanding. Serif has made it clear that they're not trying to directly copy anyone, and in many cases the Affinity suite offers the same or even better functionality. There are, however, instances where they deviate from UI "norms" that have existed for many years in ways that don't make sense (to many of us), and hurt the workflow. To me, this is the case here.

6 hours ago, Pšenda said:

If the "pixel selection" size value was left there, how would the new cursor position be displayed during an ADD/SUB operation?

In Affinity when adding to/subtracting from a selection, it's identical to Photoshop: The cursor coordinates are updated in real time*, as is the width and height of the new selection. The difference is in Affinity, when you release the mouse, nothing is shown. In Photoshop, the updated dimensions of the selection are shown. Again, to me, this is logical: Why would you not show the dimensions of a selection in the Info panel?

Also, I may be missing your point or expectation, but in my work in design and publishing over quite a few years, I've never added to or subtracted from a selection using the Info panel. Maybe there's a great use case that hasn't gotten through my thick skull. ;-)

FWIW, my point in commenting here was to agree with the validity of the original post, not to bash Serif. I have great respect for the leadership, the team, the work they have done and continue to do, and the very solid software they've built. To their credit, they do listen and respond.

* On my Windows 11 system (11th gen i7/16gb RAM), there is a noticeable lag updating the info while dragging.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:45 PM, bblackmoor said:

... I would like to see this information on my screen, preferably in the Info box. I would not like to have to click additional tools or keyboard combinations in order to see it. I would like it to be displayed in the Info box at all times (if something is selected, of course).

+1000. Yes please I would like to see this too.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

Does anyone know if Serif is even aware of this issue? I am sure that they would like to eliminate such a small obstacle to people looking for an alternative to Photoshop.

It's here in the forum where they look for customer requests, so they should be aware of it. But they do not comment, generally, on what they plan for the future.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...