You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes Won't Delete on iPad

This bug happens to both Designer and Photo. When you attempt to delete any brush pack, no matter the size, both apps just freeze. When you close and restart them, the brushes are still there.

By the way, importing brush packs still crashes both Designer and Photo. However, after launching teh apps again, the brushes that caused the crash are installed.

- Enrique

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

2 minutes ago, Lee D said:

@Frankentoon Studio I'm guessing you're manually installing brush packs and not using the in app account downloader. As if I use the downloader to install/uninstall I'm not getting any issues.

I'll log the issue to be looked at by our developers.

Yes, I'm referring to manually imported brush packs. Both bugs can be easily reproduced by importing a pack from the brushes panel (the app crashes, but the pack is imported after restarting) and attempting to delete a pack (the app freezes and the brushes are not deleted).

Thank you

- Enrique

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

For what it's worth, I am not having any problems deleting manually-add brush categories from 2.2 (only tested in Designer, though).

But at least once, Designer froze while adding brushes. They were successfully added, but I had to force quit the application and restart it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm not getting any crashing when deleting brushes, but for me the apps regularly crash while manually importing brushes from 3rd parties such as Frankentoon, Retro Supply Co, and True Grit Texture Supply. While the apps crash, the brushes have actually been imported and are actually present when the app is restarted. This isn't a new bug, it's been with 2.x from the very start.

It's a rather confusing user experience, and I suspect one that new users will find very frustrating.

FWIW I don't purchase anything from the Affinity store beyond the Affinity apps themselves, as I prefer to buy all brushes, assets, etc directly from the 3rd parties that produce them. So for me, everything is installed manually, and crashing on import is sadly a much too common part of my Affinity workflow now on iPadOS.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

For what it's worth, I am not having any problems deleting manually-add brush categories from 2.2 (only tested in Designer, though).

But at least once, Designer froze while adding brushes. They were successfully added, but I had to force quit the application and restart it.

Hi, may I ask which iPad model do you have? 

I'm having these problems with two iPad Pros 12.9" (M1 Chips). Ironically, I'm not having any issues on a 6th gen iPad Mini which I basically use to read books and sketching.

- Enrique

1 hour ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I'm not getting any crashing when deleting brushes, but for me the apps regularly crash while manually importing brushes from 3rd parties such as Frankentoon, Retro Supply Co, and True Grit Texture Supply. While the apps crash, the brushes have actually been imported and are actually present when the app is restarted. This isn't a new bug, it's been with 2.x from the very start.

It's a rather confusing user experience, and I suspect one that new users. will find very frustrating.

FWIW I don't purchase anything from the Affinity store beyond the Affinity apps themselves, as I prefer to buy all brushes, assets, etc directly from the 3rd parties that produce them. So for me, everything is installed manually, and crashing on import is sadly a much too common part of my Affinity workflow now on iPadOS.

Hi! Can I also ask which iPad model do you own? 

Yeah, the crashing on import is an ongoing bug since the launch of V2.0 and, yes, it's frustating for newcomers as you said, we receive a considerable amount of emails a week regarding this issue alone.

- Enrique

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, Frankentoon Studio said:

Hi! Can I also ask which iPad model do you own? 

Yeah, the crashing on import is an ongoing bug since the launch of V2.0 and, yes, it's frustating for newcomers as you said, we receive a considerable amount of emails a week regarding this issue alone.

I have two iPad Pro's. 1 x 12.9" 5th generation (primary), and 1 x 11" 2nd generation (for sketching, reading, etc). They both crash regularly while importing brushes, but not always with the same brushes.

I can imagine it's frustrating as for many new users they probably believe that it's your brushes and assets that are causing the issues. I'm disappointed that not only has Serif not address this bug yet, but they've also neglected some of the brush rendering issues that have appeared in v2—particularly with some brushes with wet edges not rendering at all (or even rendering in the brush list). This has actually led me to move more and more of my illustration work to Procreate where the brushes (including 3rd party brushes) are a dream to use, and the app not only feels 'right' on an iPad (not a desktop app shoved into an iPad), but it also is incredibly stable. With the new default iCloud storage coming in Procreate things are only getting better. Sadly, this is not so with Affinity.

Also, Serif are mad to be neglecting their 'developer' (for now brushes, assets, etc) community, or burning their goodwill with long-standing v2 issues. Their apps don't exist in a vacuum, and without a rich, diverse, and thriving ecosystem the Affinity apps will increasingly look less capable than other alternatives.

41 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I have two iPad Pro's. 1 x 12.9" 5th generation (primary), and 1 x 11" 2nd generation (for sketching, reading, etc). They both crash regularly while importing brushes, but not always with the same brushes.

I can imagine it's frustrating as for many new users they probably imagine that it's your brushes and assets that are causing the issues. I'm disappointed that not only has Serif not address this bug yet, but they've also neglected some of the brush rendering issues that have appeared in v2—particularly with some brushes with wet edges not rendering at all (or even rendering in the brush list). This has actually led me to move more and more of my illustration work to Procreate where the brushes (including 3rd party brushes) are a dream to use, and the not only feels 'right' on an iPad (not a desktop app shoved into an iPad), but also is incredibly stable. With the new default iCloud storage coming in Procreate things are only getting better. Sadly, this is not so with Affinity.

Also, Serif are mad to be neglecting their 'developer' (for now brushes, assets, etc) community, or burning their goodwill with long-standing v2 issues. Their apps don't exist in a vacuum, and without a rich, diverse, and thriving ecosystem the Affinity apps will increasingly look less capable than other alternatives.

We use the same iPad models in the studio for primary work. 

I agree with you. As a trilogy of cross-platform apps, Affinity is powerful and has much growth potential. I understand that these new versions have been written from the ground up, and it's understandable that many issues might arise as we use them daily.

However, expecting most users to be patient enough to wait for suitably stable versions is quite a challenge. We're crossing our fingers that these issues get fixed as soon as possible because we love using all Affinity tools in our studio.

- Enrique

1 hour ago, Frankentoon Studio said:

may I ask which iPad model do you have? 

As it says in my signature (assuming you're viewing on a large enough device for signatures to show, and you haven't configured the forum not to show them :)😞

iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.6.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.6.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

Thank you! We're using the same iPad models, which unfortunately makes this bug more random and difficult to tackle, because it cannot be reproduced that easily :/

- Enrique

I also have a lot of crashes on iPad when adding or removing brushes. Mostly adding.  Some brush packs seem to be more troublesome than others: possibly related to the # of brushes or the overall size. 

Using the Store download option is a little more reliable, but in that case I have a hard time occasionally with specific things inside of a pack.  Sometimes brushes will install but assets won't, for instance.  Or if I remove the Assets and then try to re-download them, they might not download. But in general, the Store down load is much more reliable.

😢

I'm using M1 ipad AIR 8 GB Memory, 64 GB storage