You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Completing my fanfiction composite - Creating a rain/storm Effect, adding a vehicle

SolidSnake2003

7 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You could try opening the doors to the ambulance and then placing Georgie and his mother inside the ambulance

PS It had stopped raining whilst I was doing this, hence the lack of rain at the moment.

ambo5.jpg

Good job on adding Pennywise on top of the ambulance. 

What did you think of my updated version with the lightning image?

4 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

What did you think of my updated version with the lightning image?

It's a good image of the lightning lightening up the clouds but the sky looks purple to me.

Maybe when you darken the image and change it from "day to night" it will be OK or you may then have to tweak the clouds from purple to something darker (blueish?) to better resemble a thunderstorm

You won't know until you do that part, if it works or not for what you want to portray

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

22 hours ago, carl123 said:

You could try opening the doors to the ambulance and then placing Georgie and his mother inside the ambulance

PS It had stopped raining whilst I was doing this, hence the lack of rain at the moment.

ambo5.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, not sure of how to create the image. For Georgie I would have to create the wounds on his arm, not sure if I could find an image like that. If I were to type that into any of the free AI stuff, it would probably come up NSFW. Plus I can't afford the prices for stock sites to use their stuff which is why I try to work more from screenshots from shows I can afford. What stocks I have used was from the free section of Adobe's stock. These are the best images I could make screen caps of the mother from a tv show she's in:

vlcsnap-2023-08-21-04h37m30s567.thumb.png.2ed6f260bd56c45e78c1093ffa82e131.png vlcsnap-2023-08-21-04h42m10s805.png.947a15aee43d34e93d9b88771602f303.png

7 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, not sure of how to create the image.

I'll give it one last go but not sure how it's going to work out at the moment, need to find the right image

Give me half an hour or so...

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

OK, this is my last take on this particular scene...

We are in the middle of a thunderstorm, with a slight pause in the rain (still can't get the rain to look right!)
We have Georgie in the back of the ambulance being treated by a paramedic
We have his distraught mother crying outside the ambulance
We have Georgie’s loyal German Shepherd dog wondering what the human female is blubbering on about
And we have the neighbour's dog trying to alert everyone to the fact that there is a FRICKIN MONSTER ON THE AMBULANCE ROOF

I don’t think I can cram anything else into this scene

georgieandhismum.jpg

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

We are in the middle of a thunderstorm, with a slight pause in the rain (still can't get the rain to look right!)
We have Georgie’s loyal German Shepherd dog wondering what the human female is blubbering on about
And we have the neighbour's dog trying to alert everyone to the fact that there is a FRICKIN MONSTER ON THE AMBULANCE ROOF

georgieandhismum.jpg

Thanks, looks amazing, wish I could do as well at compositing. Sorry if I'm being too picky

On 8/21/2023 at 5:46 AM, carl123 said:

georgieandhismum.jpg

@carl123 @TrentLHere is a new updated version where I changed the clouds to ones similar to the one you did from Adobe's stock, adding a light on the garage door since I saw the light and added a light on the ground near the garage light as well. I have also added a background inside of the ambulance, just haven't added any people yet:

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview08.thumb.jpg.efb105ca52a07839c69858c1220e5ee3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 5:46 AM, carl123 said:

georgieandhismum.jpg

How did you create the lightning on the clouds? I'm guessing it was a brush or two. Did you use any particular blend mode and did you add any layer styles to the layer/s? Do you remember where you found the base images? Are they free resources? Hope it is OK I ask.

20 hours ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

How did you create the lightning on the clouds? I'm guessing it was a brush or two. Did you use any particular blend mode and did you add any layer styles to the layer/s? Do you remember where you found the base images? Are they free resources? Hope it is OK I ask.

The lightning was just a transparent lightning png file I found on the Internet

Also, all images were just found by doing a Google search. Some may have been free but I know at least 2 were not free but as they were only used for demonstration purposes it did not matter in this case. But if I do ever (rarely) need to find and use an image commercially, I do make sure to pay for it

On 9/13/2023 at 10:35 PM, carl123 said:

The lightning was just a transparent lightning png file I found on the Internet

Also, all images were just found by doing a Google search. Some may have been free but I know at least 2 were not free but as they were only used for demonstration purposes it did not matter in this case. But if I do ever (rarely) need to find and use an image commercially, I do make sure to pay for it

Thanks for answering my questions about how you created your previews based on my work. Here is an updated preview of the image where I have upgraded the lightning, added some layer styles to help it blend with the background, rearranged some of the coloring effects, updated the ambulance with a door background I found on a public Facebook post. I also added a street cutout image I found on DeviantArt, and used the Perspective Live Filter to make it look more like a ramp:

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview10.thumb.jpg.f2a2353102fdc1b1b3619f4913477a7a.jpg

Yes, it looks good. I particularly like the ambulance doors and the inside of the ambulance. The size, lighting and perspective of the interior looks spot on.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the ramp. It looks out of place for me but I'm not from the USA so I don't know what their ambulances, with ramps, look like

29 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Yes, it looks good. I particularly like the ambulance doors and the inside of the ambulance. The size, lighting and perspective of the interior looks spot on.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the ramp. It looks out of place for me but I'm not from the USA so I don't know what their ambulances, with ramps, look like

@carl123 The ramp is a street cutout I found on DeviantArt, and used the perspective live filter to make it look more like a ramp. I was going to use this free image I found through google, but I didn't realize how blurry it was and I think the angle is off too https://www.rawpixel.com/image/515821/premium-photo-image-healthcare-child-911-999 This is another free image I found that I thought of using, but I don't think the angle works here either https://www.rawpixel.com/image/515764/young-patient-stretcher The only other image I found was on this website where it says in the terms of use that images can be downloaded for personal use https://college.mayo.edu/academics/explore-health-care-careers/careers-a-z/emergency-medicine-paramedic/ the only other image I found but I don't know how safe it is to use is this one https://www.universalambulance.com/

One of hardest parts of doing these sorts of composites is finding the right image(s) that fits in the scene.

90% of the time you can find something on Google etc that can be made to work but it could take hours/days

But in cases where you just can't find the right image you may have to change the scene slightly.

So, for example, instead of having the patient (Georgie) inside the ambulance you may want to consider having him outside on his way to the ambulance.

ambo6b.jpg

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

One of hardest parts of doing these sorts of composites is finding the right image(s) that fits in the scene.

90% of the time you can find something on Google etc that can be made to work but it could take hours/days

But in cases where you just can't find the right image you may have to change the scene slightly.

So, for example, instead of having the patient (Georgie) inside the ambulance you may want to consider having him outside on his way to the ambulance.

ambo6b.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, if I find that image is it a free one?

2 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, if I find that image is it a free one?

No, it's from the LBC (a UK radio station) so it's unlikely to be free

You will need to search for one that is OK to use

2 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

what did you type into google image search?

ambulance patient on trolly

No problem, I did about 5 other searches before using that one which found the image I used above

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

No problem, I did about 5 other searches before using that one which found the image I used above

@carl123 @Dan C @v_kyr I've found a couple of images that are in the public domain, but the description has red text that says "Editorial Use only" don't know if that means I can or can't use it in fan-art/compositing.

https://www.rawpixel.com/image/9658733/image-people-public-domain-bed

https://www.rawpixel.com/image/8736379/drill-ettp-2019

20 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

but the description has red text that says "Editorial Use only" don't know if that means I can or can't use it in fan-art/compositing.

If you click on the (i) button beside "Editorial Use only" you then get some more explanatory text ...

Editorial

Content labeled "Editorial Use Only" are for use in news and events-related articles, non-commercial blogs and websites, broadcasts and other non-profit media. This content cannot be used for commercial purposes including advertising, promotions and merchandising. Editorial content should not be edited or altered substantially from the original image.

... beside that, also always check the licenses (creativecommons in these above two cases).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

If you click on the (i) button beside "Editorial Use only" you then get some more explanatory text ...

... beside that, also always check the licenses (creativecommons in these above two cases).

Does this mean I can use it for compositing work? That "altered substantially" is what is confusing to me. The CC license says it is for public domain but the editorial use only doesn't seem to support it.