You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Completing my fanfiction composite - Creating a rain/storm Effect, adding a vehicle

SolidSnake2003

1 hour ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Does this mean I can use it for compositing work? That "altered substantially" is what is confusing to me. The CC license says it is for public domain but the editorial use only doesn't seem to support it.

As these a real news media pictures (..."Live disaster drill at the Pitt-Greenville Airport, March 22, 2019. Photo by Aaron Hines...") and stated first of all clearly to be used for "... for use in news and events-related articles, non-commercial blogs and websites, broadcasts and other non-profit media", I won't reuse those for fan-art/compositing etc. As those are more live event taken pictures, with real people so no film actors.

Further I would also be generally careful with image stuff, ideas, stories etc. taken from movies, the web etc. in terms of "Copyright and personal rights" , see also ...

... and as an quoted example from that above Wikipedia Fan-Fiction link ...

... Using characters and locations from original works raises the question of copyright. Anne McCaffrey and Raymond Feist don't want fan fiction. Anne Rice has accused her fans and various fan sites of coopting her ideas. ...

... so you always have first to clarify and find out, if Fan-Fiction stuff about some specific movie etc. is then allowed at all or not!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

As these a real news media pictures (..."Live disaster drill at the Pitt-Greenville Airport, March 22, 2019. Photo by Aaron Hines...") and stated first of all clearly to be used for "... for use in news and events-related articles, non-commercial blogs and websites, broadcasts and other non-profit media", I won't reuse those for fan-art/compositing etc. As those are more live event taken pictures, with real people so no film actors.

Further I would also be generally careful with image stuff, ideas, stories etc. taken from movies, the web etc. in terms of "Copyright and personal rights" , see also ...

... and as an quoted example from that above Wikipedia Fan-Fiction link ...

... so you always have first to clarify and find out, if Fan-Fiction stuff about some specific movie etc. is then allowed at all or not!

Sorry I misunderstood about the images. I would never try to minimize any disaster just to make fan art for a movie that inspired it. I wad just trying to work with what free images I could find. I can't afford stock site prices and I'm not going to buy numerous movies and tv episodes just to maybe find a shot I can alter to change characters.

3 hours ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Sorry I misunderstood about the images. I would never try to minimize any disaster just to make fan art for a movie that inspired it.

I've just told what in my understanding the "Editorial Use only" means here context wise.

3 hours ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

I can't afford stock site prices and I'm not going to buy numerous movies and tv episodes just to maybe find a shot I can alter to change characters.

That's another point to be careful with, as TV episodes & movies etc. are copyrighted too and therefore also may have their intellectual property rights. So it might not be for certain of those things here allowed, to alter those and make any Fan-Fiction contents out of those. - You generally have to check if what you are doing here is welcome and allowed for the original rights holders or not!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I've just told what in my understanding the "Editorial Use only" means here context wise.

That's another point to be careful with, as TV episodes & movies etc. are copyrighted too and therefore also may have their intellectual property rights. So it might not be for certain of those things here allowed, to alter those and make any Fan-Fiction contents out of those. - You generally have to check if what you are doing here is welcome and allowed for the original rights holders or not!

Thanks for the clarification, I'm autistic so I apologize if I was overly combative.

Yeah I get careful about using copyrighted works. The part I know is what they call "Fair Use" which is where there is this gray area that hasn't really been fully defined yet to my knowledge. It says that using copyrighted work without the consent of the original creator is allowed if it adheres to the four factors which I do.

2 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Yeah I get careful about using copyrighted works. The part I know is what they call "Fair Use" which is where there is this gray area that hasn't really been fully defined yet to my knowledge. It says that using copyrighted work without the consent of the original creator is allowed if it adheres to the four factors which I do.

Honestly I don't know much about the Fan-Fiction scene, just what I had read in one or two explanations about the term and what people there passion wise do. However be careful to not being sued then by original copyright holders and the like, in case you make such stuff on some site public, because some people don't see the fun here, especially when it comes to their originally legally protected ideas and the money that comes with them (...their initial stories and Ideas which then somehow have been stolen & altered).

@v_kyr @carl123 I have found am image that didn't have any editorial restrictions on it from freepik, its allowed to be used for personal projects as long as there is an attribution. Here is a preview of the the composite with the image on top:

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview11.thumb.jpg.ad444aa59c552f1625857b608e0f93b4.jpg

The background is the same as previous versions without the ramp visible I removed it. I just wanted to make sure that I got the people in place before I started erasing and making modifications to turn the people into the characters of the story.

8 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

I have found am image that didn't have any editorial restrictions on it from freepik, its allowed to be used for personal projects as long as there is an attribution.

Then better use that one, in order to be overall on the more safe side.

19 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Here is a preview of the the composite with the image on top:

That image will work but you might want to consider just leaving the paramedics and getting rid of Grandpa at the back and maybe even the man on the left (but you would have to reconstruct the boy's head if you do that)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

That image will work but you might want to consider just leaving the paramedics and getting rid of Grandpa at the back and maybe even the man on the left (but you would have to reconstruct the boy's head if you do that)

I was planning on changing the head, just got to find a screenshot of Jackson(the name of the actor that played Georgie in the movies) that will work in that position, and seeing if I could find another image to help with the hair to help make it look like he's laying on the gurney. Plus got to change the outfit as well to blend with the footage from the film. Biggest thing I was doing first was making sure I got the image in place where it makes sense with the composition before making the changes. I was going to change of the characters to the mother since she's going with him in the ambulance.

Sounds good.

Looking forward to seeing the results

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Do I have to resize the image at all?

Once you cut out the image you will be able to place it into your main document and size it to fit

13 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Do the people in the image match with how the ambulance and house are set up behind them?

The image was taken in daylight but your main image is in the evening so you will have to adjust the lighting on the image so it fits in as best as possible

17 hours ago, carl123 said:

Once you cut out the image you will be able to place it into your main document and size it to fit

The image was taken in daylight but your main image is in the evening so you will have to adjust the lighting on the image so it fits in as best as possible

@carl123 I've started with the erasing. I figure I will have a better shot at matching the head by making the freepik photo smaller before trying to match any screenshot so I'm not taking something smaller and making it bigger, distorting it.

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview12.thumb.jpg.09ad1c035a49e0bf555253e1f0708600.jpg

That cut-out looks perfect. I was worried about the trolly legs but they look great

Once you work on the lighting it will all blend in even better

It's really hard to say without actually scaling the people layer up and down to see what looks best

Offhand, I would say smaller but when you sort out the lighting things may look different so I would do that first then worry about resizing them if needed

33 minutes ago, carl123 said:

It's really hard to say without actually scaling the people layer up and down to see what looks best

Offhand, I would say smaller but when you sort out the lighting things may look different so I would do that first then worry about resizing them if needed

@carl123 Here they are a little smaller and added a transparent .PNG I found of a GSD:

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview14.thumb.jpg.ef8b274c4b401d5e8ccdd0bbf249384f.jpg

Peoples size look better this way, though the dog's size has IMO to be in contrast to that smaller, as his ears reach almost to the middle of the man's back.

Very interesting project. My idea (I'm not really sure about it) is to make the lights a little more blinding. The lightning and even the breaklights of the van. A diffuse shine from the top left of the image, where the lightning flashes, reflections of that flashing lightning on the edges of the rooftop and more blinding shines around the breaklights. That would make the scene look more dramatic, I think. In the last image, possibly a little bit more light from below on the face of Pennywise and a shine and reflections from the breaklights would increase the suspense and lead the eyes of the spectator to the important points of the scene.

Edit: Sorry, as I said "In the last image..." I meant the last one on page 1 of this thread. I somehow disregarded that the thread wasn't finished there. In the last image, the lighting of the scene in the foreground is unrealistic. The dog must be lighted by a different source than the paramedics that seem to be lighted by daylight.

2 hours ago, iconoclast said:

Very interesting project. My idea (I'm not really sure about it) is to make the lights a little more blinding. The lightning and even the breaklights of the van. A diffuse shine from the top left of the image, where the lightning flashes, reflections of that flashing lightning on the edges of the rooftop and more blinding shines around the breaklights. That would make the scene look more dramatic, I think. In the last image, possibly a little bit more light from below on the face of Pennywise and a shine and reflections from the breaklights would increase the suspense and lead the eyes of the spectator to the important points of the scene.

Edit: Sorry, as I said "In the last image..." I meant the last one on page 1 of this thread. I somehow disregarded that the thread wasn't finished there. In the last image, the lighting of the scene in the foreground is unrealistic. The dog must be lighted by a different source than the paramedics that seem to be lighted by daylight.

The source photo of the paramedics was from a daylight image, I am working on improving the lighting to match the scene more. The first thing I'm doing is trying to get Georgie into the gurney. I'm trying to find the right source image to start with. The first one I tried didn't seem to work out, the angle wasn't quite right, it was this image: https://www.teenidols4you.com/picture.html?g=Actors&pe=jackson-robert-scott&foto=554&act=3360&mv=4&pic=770364 Plus I might add one more either paramedic, firefighter, or police officer in front of the boy's arms cause the right arm is supposed to have an injury, and I don't want to look up violent/gory images to try to find something that would fit.

@iconoclast What do you mean by "Breaklights"? I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

5 hours ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

@iconoclast What do you mean by "Breaklights"? I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

It's my very special (german) spelling for "brake light"/"stop light". 😄

It is very often a problem to find images that fit to a composing, because of the light angle. Many people who want to create a composing don't even think about it.

17 hours ago, iconoclast said:

It's my very special (german) spelling for "brake light"/"stop light". 😄

It is very often a problem to find images that fit to a composing, because of the light angle. Many people who want to create a composing don't even think about it.

@carl123 @v_kyr @iconoclast Here is a new preview, I've got the head started, got to finish the outfit/

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview16.thumb.jpg.345fabcbcefcfe2f2b71f08803c054af.jpg