You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Completing my fanfiction composite - Creating a rain/storm Effect, adding a vehicle

SolidSnake2003

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Things are improving, but... The lamp has the wrong perspective and is in the wrong position, the lamp looks like you are looking at it from below.

See a few notes in this image.

image.jpeg.502d08a1c2e83b6d7228c00538b5507e.jpeg

I would remove the dog, it's not working as far as I'm concerned, the face on the woman looks too big and it seems out of sorts, it's one of those situations where you can't quite put your finger on it but it looks odd. 

This lamp has better perspective.
Lamp.thumb.jpg.d3631be517d03a7a19ea3a8ff5785d0e.jpg

@firstdefence Where did you get that lamp png? Was it from a free site or is that a paid asset?

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Things are improving, but... The lamp has the wrong perspective and is in the wrong position, the lamp looks like you are looking at it from below.

See a few notes in this image.

image.jpeg.502d08a1c2e83b6d7228c00538b5507e.jpeg

I would remove the dog, it's not working as far as I'm concerned, the face on the woman looks too big and it seems out of sorts, it's one of those situations where you can't quite put your finger on it but it looks odd. I am going to have to start all over on the woman composite if I'm going to fix it cause all of the layers were rasterized and combined

This lamp has better perspective.
Lamp.thumb.jpg.d3631be517d03a7a19ea3a8ff5785d0e.jpg

@firstdefence Is the taller arrow the height, and the smaller arrow the height or is it the other way around? I'm guessing the ambulance lights are fine. Are you telling me to not have wheel shadows underneath the ambulance?

@v_kyr @carl123 @iconoclast Should i redo the mother or keep what I have?

6 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Should i redo the mother or keep what I have?

You have to decide for yourself, because this is primarily your own project!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 minutes ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

I'm guessing the ambulance lights are fine.

They look a bit overpowering and are distracting from the rest of the image, for me. You might want to compare it to something more subtle

You also have 2 more anomalies.

One on the tree on the left, which looks like someone accidentally dabbed a white dot with the Paint Brush.

The second is a strange ring of white dots on the right-hand side

lights3.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:27 AM, carl123 said:

They look a bit overpowering and are distracting from the rest of the image, for me. You might want to compare it to something more subtle

You also have 2 more anomalies.

One on the tree on the left, which looks like someone accidentally dabbed a white dot with the Paint Brush.

The second is a strange ring of white dots on the right-hand side

lights3.jpg

@v_kyr @carl123 @firstdefence @iconoclast Here is a new preview of the composite. I have fixed the anomalies that @carl123 mentioned. I have added an extra paramedic, added a pic of Jackson Robert Scott to the kid since its him as Georgie. I have also added the light from earlier, and positioned it as recommended. I also changed the ambulance lights to a soft light which I think softened the effect nicely.  I have also added a transparent glass texture to the windows to add the glare of glass.

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview35.thumb.jpg.ab9066e30cabf3f1d0db320a88f724bb.jpg

Hope you like all like the new additions and corrections.

The light looks better placed and fits to the scene better, I make the light taller and nearer to the path because that is what the light would primarily do, light the path, the fact it also lights the boy and the people around him is incidental.

The shadow to the rear of the ambulance would either be straight following a bumper or the tread, the doors may also cast a bit of shadow.

But the scene is developing nicely.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The light looks better placed and fits to the scene better, I make the light taller and nearer to the path because that is what the light would primarily do, light the path, the fact it also lights the boy and the people around him is incidental.

The shadow to the rear of the ambulance would either be straight following a bumper or the tread, the doors may also cast a bit of shadow.

But the scene is developing nicely.

@v_kyr @firstdefence @carl123 @iconoclast Here is a new preview of the composite. I flipped the police officer to better match the lighting, I changed the mother picture to an A.I. image from behind so I didn't have to worry about the face. I fixed the shadow underneath the ambulance, and tried to add a shadow from the doors. I also made the light taller, and added lighting to the path.

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview36.thumb.jpg.acdb5a266f73af1206c7e8784563ceec.jpg

Hope you all like the new version.

I doubt a mother will hold an umbrella in such a way that she can't directly see her child being taken into an ambulance. In this umbrella position, the umbrella blocks her view of what is happening at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

20 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

I doubt a mother will hold an umbrella in such a way that she can't directly see her child being taken into an ambulance. In this umbrella position, the umbrella blocks her view of what is happening at all.

I'm gonna just switch it back to the previous model with the face replaced, I think I did a good job on the face, it may not be perfect, but it works as far I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

I'm gonna just switch it back to the previous model ...

As I often said before it's up to you to decide!

And even with a looking through umbrella, I believe in such a situation, a mother would hold an umbrella more like this way then, so she can see what's happening  ...

umbrella2.png.a6c0c62c40e3715ef7832391bec976a0.png umbrella1.png.1f90a477936a89ab6027bd249199114d.png

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

57 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

As I often said before it's up to you to decide!

And even with a looking through umbrella, I believe in such a situation, a mother would hold an umbrella more like this way then, so she can see what's happening  ...

umbrella2.png.a6c0c62c40e3715ef7832391bec976a0.png umbrella1.png.1f90a477936a89ab6027bd249199114d.png

You have made excellent points @v_kyr my only response to that is I have no idea how to properly edit out a transparent umbrella and keep the transparency.

I have no idea how to properly edit out a transparent umbrella and keep the transparency

I didn't mean that you have to use a transparent umbrella, as that was just an suggested example for how mothers in such situations probably will hold an umbrella instead. - But if you want to use a transparent one, you either search after a semi-transparent PNG file one, or you then apply a reduced layer based transparency on that umbrella portions. - You can also look over this tutorial which gives an overview over blend modes and their common usage effects (where you are interested here then in those withdifferent possible transparency handlings).

If it were me, and I wanted to insert an observer under an umbrella, I would choose the angle of the attached image.

Unfortunately, this would obscure the head and upper back of the observer and then it would it come down to an artistic choice that can only be decided by you, the compositor. Do you want to see the face of the mother, or is that something you can discard as a preference?

Positioning is also a consideration when you introduce another element/image. The umbrella pic attached would need the holder to be moved more to the right so that the top of the umbrella doesn't clash with the main picture elements. But again, that's for you to decide.

And, as always, the more elements you introduce, the more complex and problematic the composite becomes.

umb.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

9 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I didn't mean that you have to use a transparent umbrella, as that was just an suggested example for how mothers in such situations probably will hold an umbrella instead. - But if you want to use a transparent one, you either search after a semi-transparent PNG file one, or you then apply a reduced layer based transparency on that umbrella portions. - You can also look over this tutorial which gives an overview over blend modes and their common usage effects (where you are interested here then in those withdifferent possible transparency handlings).

Sorry if I implied something that wasn't there, @v_kyr. I did the light in the composite by just leaving the white inside where the light is cause once I added the elliptical gradient, it looked like a light to me. 

9 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

If it were me, and I wanted to insert an observer under an umbrella, I would choose the angle of the attached image.

Unfortunately, this would obscure the head and upper back of the observer and then it would it come down to an artistic choice that can only be decided by you, the compositor. Do you want to see the face of the mother, or is that something you can discard as a preference?

Positioning is also a consideration when you introduce another element/image. The umbrella pic attached would need the holder to be moved more to the right so that the top of the umbrella doesn't clash with the main picture elements. But again, that's for you to decide.

And, as always, the more elements you introduce, the more complex and problematic the composite becomes.

umb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion @AffinityJules, is it OK to use that attached image if I decide to use it? I ask cause I don't know if that was from a paid asset, free asset, or just an image found on Google.

Yes, you can use it. It came from some obscure image on Unsplash.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

5 hours ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

I have added a new model for the mom, and a model for the dad with the umbrella what do you think of this?

That would need again a bunch of lighting changes, for the persons and umbrella.

What kind of lighting do I have to add?

Can't you really see that, after so many comments here in this thread about where the main light sources do comes from and how light & shadow is distributed? Where are the light sources in your image and how do they distribute the light? - Light comes from the laterna and slightly less from the ambulance lights where in contrast to that your new additons are lighted from behind (from your view/looking at it position).

The new images appear fine, but the man is wearing a highly reflective rain coat, and light will bounce off that in all directions. His left shoulder is blown out with light - exactly the wrong position for it to be and would be difficult to correct. Better to look for a similar image that has is evenly lit, by doing that you can add light to the subject yourself using child layers. Right now he looks like he doesn't belong in the scene.

What kind of lighting do I have to add?

You do not always need to add new visible light sources to an image

A light source can be inferred to be coming from somewhere outside the boundaries of your image/composition

Like an additional light in the driveway, a street light, car lights etc

Your new image clearly shows there is a strong light on the man but we don't see the light source, that in no way makes that particular image look wrong. Our brains can simply determine there is a light source that is not in the image

Do not worry unduly about getting all light sources within the bounds of your image, if it looks plausible then go with it.

Our brains will fill in the gaps

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

20 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Can't you really see that, after so many comments here in this thread about where the main light sources do comes from and how light & shadow is distributed? Where are the light sources in your image and how do they distribute the light? - Light comes from the laterna and slightly less from the ambulance lights where in contrast to that your new additons are lighted from behind (from your view/looking at it position).

Sorry, I thought it was implied that I needed to add a special kind of light, sorry I misunderstood what you meant.

17 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

The new images appear fine, but the man is wearing a highly reflective rain coat, and light will bounce off that in all directions. His left shoulder is blown out with light - exactly the wrong position for it to be and would be difficult to correct. Better to look for a similar image that has is evenly lit, by doing that you can add light to the subject yourself using child layers. Right now he looks like he doesn't belong in the scene.

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You do not always need to add new visible light sources to an image

A light source can be inferred to be coming from somewhere outside the boundaries of your image/composition

Like an additional light in the driveway, a street light, car lights etc

Your new image clearly shows there is a strong light on the man but we don't see the light source, that in no way makes that particular image look wrong. Our brains can simply determine there is a light source that is not in the image

Do not worry unduly about getting all light sources within the bounds of your image, if it looks plausible then go with it.

Our brains will fill in the gaps

It was made from an free text to image A.I, prompt like the female model was

1 minute ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

Here is a new preview where I edited more around the mother, and added a different model for the father with a less reflective coat and more evenly lit without any real over bright spots.

And nobody of them looks to the action with their boy transported in that scene, strange? - IMHO the previous one was better, for the previous one I would have darken the right and center shoulder sides/parts of the people and the umbrella, so the whole resembles more in terms of light & shadow the police man with the helmet there.

However just my 2 cents here.