You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

macOS Sonoma beta

Please expand on your post, what error messages, if any, are you getting?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I don't think the Affinity apps have been fully tested for stability with macOS beta versions, so it would not be much of a surprise if APub crashed when running that macOS beta.

For any serious or important work, it is a good idea to avoid both app & OS beta versions & use only the release ones.

IOW, betas are intended for testing & revealing bugs, not for general use.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, pmouest said:

But usually the second macOS public betas are already stable.

Is Sonoma OS listed in the Technical Specifications as a "supported" operating system?

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/full-feature-list/

2 hours ago, pmouest said:

It was just to get attention.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sonoma+site:forum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, pmouest said:

It was just to get attention.

Apparently.

A well meant advice:
If you want to use beta software – especially an operating system – you should be knowing what you're doing. That also includes knowing how to post bug/crash reports and what to include in them.
My guess from your two posts so far is that you don't have a clue. ;) 

In that sense: Perhaps you may want to stay away from any beta software for now…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Hi Pmouest,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reporting this however what R C-R has mentioned is correct we haven't tested/optimised any of our V2 apps on Sonoma yet so crashes are to be expected.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Quick question: Since I only see information V2 being fixed for Sonoma later on, what's about V1? We are using it still at work since many of our clients are still running the old version. Since files are not compatible we are required to use V1 aswell. Will there also be a hot fix for that version, even though there are no longer features added?

1 hour ago, DaSebsch said:

We are using it still at work

As a general advice, I'd strongly recommend not to upgrade to an x.0.0 version of an operating system on any mission critical computers.
Always wait at least until version x.1.0 and let others do the intrepid work of dealing with bugs.

(system admin 101… :))

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, DaSebsch said:

Quick question: Since I only see information V2 being fixed for Sonoma later on, what's about V1? We are using it still at work since many of our clients are still running the old version. Since files are not compatible we are required to use V1 aswell. Will there also be a hot fix for that version, even though there are no longer features added?

I highly doubt that ...

1. as Serif has enough problems with fixing V2 app bugs (too much to handle) and making those somehow more stable behaving ...
  2. ... I also doubt they have enough personal resources for that ...
  3. ... and of course they also would like that you (and others) then buy the V2 software instead

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

As a general advice, I'd strongly recommend not to upgrade to an x.0.0 version of an operating system on any mission critical computers.
Always wait at least until version x.1.0 and let others do the intrepid work of dealing with bugs.

EXCEPT you are like a high core gamer but instead here on the sysop level. Pain-free, so to speak, and always good for a far-reaching adventure into the unknown. 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Il y a 1 heure, v_kyr a dit :

Je doute fortement que...

1. car Serif a assez de problèmes pour corriger les bogues de l'application V2 (en trop à gérer) et les rendre plus stables...
  2. ... Je doute également qu'ils aient suffisamment de ressources personnelles pour cela...
  3. ... et bien sûr, ils aimeraient aussi que vous (et d'autres) achetiez le logiciel V2 à la place

Point 3: sauf que la V2 est bien plus avancée que la V1, bien plus agréable à utiliser !

1 hour ago, pmouest said:

Point 3: sauf que la V2 est bien plus avancée que la V1, bien plus agréable à utiliser !

C'est plus une question d'habitude et de goût !

9 hours ago, pmouest said:

Another well-meaning piece of advice: No need to clutter the forum with such pointless advice…

There is nothing pointless about that or anyone else's advice regarding the inadvisability of using a beta OS version together with an Affinity (or any other) app that has not been tested with that OS version if you want to avoid problems like app crashes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, loukash said:

Well that's why I am testing the software before others are upgrading their MacOS version and then can't do the work they are supposed to do. And I highly think since this bug has not been resolved yet by newer Sonoma beta versions that the fix can only be applied by Serif releasing an update to Affinity Publisher.

23 minutes ago, DaSebsch said:

And I highly think since this bug has not been resolved yet by newer Sonoma beta versions that the fix can only be applied by Serif releasing an update to Affinity Publisher.

The bug might be in some component of Sonoma itself, so in that case it would be up to Apple to fix it, not Serif.

Affinity Photo 

14 hours ago, DaSebsch said:

that's why I am testing the software before others are upgrading their MacOS version and then can't do the work they are supposed to do

Yeah, that's all fine and well.
So all you need to tell them for now: Don't!
There is no rush. Never change an operating system that just works
Especially since they'll still be getting OS security updates for at least two or three years to come.

Hint:
The APFS file system makes it very easy to simply add another volume to your existing one. (Unless you were trying to "save" money and bought a Mac with a paltry and pathetically slow 256 GB SSD, that is.) Anyone who wants to live on the "cutting edge" yet sleep well, just create a new ±50 GB volume on the fly and install Sonoma on it to test whatever you need to test, separately from your mission critical system.

Disclosure:
I bought a new fully loaded MacBook Air 15" just two weeks ago to replace my aging MacBook Pro mid-2012 running primarily MacOS El Capitan (!) as my "mission critical" partition, because El Capitan still just works for literally anything I need to work on, including design (Affinity v1, and – heck – Adobe CS5.5) and audio (Logic X and a bunch of "vintage" Firewire audio interfaces). 
That said… I love the 15" MacBook Air. :) And Ventura is much better than I thought it would be, based on my experience with Catalina as well as with a few buddies' Macs running Big Sur and Monterey.
The major p.i.t.a. in Ventura so far is the Music.app. I want my iTunes 10.7 back!!! And also the lack of Firewire audio compatibility although there is already a hack online to fix it (not tested yet, must buy dongles first, duh). So unless Apple would massively improve the Music.app in Sonoma to my liking – which is unlikely to happen – I won't be upgrading until at least v14.3, if at all. It wouldn't be the first time I'd skip a full MacOS release version completely: Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Big Sur, Monterey – I skipped them all and didn't miss anything.

On 8/11/2023 at 11:27 AM, loukash said:

Disclosure:
I bought a new fully loaded MacBook Air 15" just two weeks ago to replace my aging MacBook Pro mid-2012 running primarily MacOS El Capitan (!) as my "mission critical" partition, because El Capitan still just works for literally anything I need to work on, including design (Affinity v1, and – heck – Adobe CS5.5) and audio (Logic X and a bunch of "vintage" Firewire audio interfaces). 

👍 for the new MBA 15, if full loaded means here equipped with 24 GB RAM + 1|2 TB SSD. - Related to El Capitan and other older OSX versions, they are nowadays pretty much outdated, meaning here the OS itself doesn't get any security fixes and updates. Further soner or later also many apps don't run on/do support older macOS versions anymore and suffer from more updated versions and security fixes etc.

19 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

👍 for the new MBA 15, if full loaded means here equipped with 24 GB RAM + 1|2 TB SSD.

Yep, 15"/24GB/2TB. Can't do below. The MBA 15" is then still a much better deal than an equally loaded MBP 16" or even 14" which would additionally come with features I'd never need. :) 
In other words, I was waiting for this device for literally a decade…

23 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Related to El Capitan and other older OSX versions […]

… is actually a completely different topic. ;) 

I was just giving an example that depending on the kind of work you need/want to do, upgrading the OS to the latest and "greatest" (yep, that's scare quotes) is not always the best idea.
1st hand example: I still use my MBP 2008 (!) that can't run anything higher than El Capitan for mobile multitrack audio recording with Logic. It. Just. Works. With a 2TB SSD inside, of course. I then just sync the project with the new Mac and continue there with editing and mixing. And if the oldie eventually breaks on the road, no big loss as the device has already paid for itself many years ago. (Hint: the 2008 pre-unibody models were built like a tank, and they also had the best MacBook keyboard ever!)

14 minutes ago, loukash said:

Yep, 15"/24GB/2TB. Can't do below. The MBA 15" is then still a much better deal than an equally loaded MBP 16" or even 14" which would additionally come with features I'd never need. :) 
In other words, I was waiting for this device for literally a decade…

I have one (same config 😃) for review from our company here, so in order to find out if it's also usable for the company I work for as a possible dev replacement machine to 16" MBPs. - So far for what I've tested and concluded that a MBA 15 is also pretty much usable as a dev machine for us (... advantage it's much lighter to carry around between office & home & customer locations. It offers enough power for the tasks we usually have programming wise to do and of course it's price wise much more attractive than MBPs).

31 minutes ago, loukash said:

1st hand example: I still use my MBP 2008 (!) that can't run anything higher than El Capitan for mobile multitrack audio recording with Logic. It. Just. Works. With a 2TB SSD inside, of course. I then just sync the project with the new Mac and continue there with editing and mixing. And if the oldie eventually breaks on the road, no big loss as the device has already paid for itself many years ago.

Well I've still an old iMac also that dated and thus also OS wise forced to run until El Capitan. The problems here are overall that things like OSX Mail.app (due to TSL 1.3 conversion), Safari, other third party Webbrowsers and dev tools like IntelliJ Idea, VSC, Docker ... etc. etc. are all stucked to old versions and so newer/more actual versions are no longer supported in their latest/newest incarnations for that old OS. Same for hundreds of other productivity apps, you always have to look if there is some older version available which still do support and are running under El Capitan here, which in turn then lacks a bunch of the newer features, bug fixes and so on.

55 minutes ago, loukash said:

(Hint: the 2008 pre-unibody models were built like a tank, and they also had the best MacBook keyboard ever!)

Jip those were pretty sturdy (no need to ask) and had by far better keyboards, but of course they also came along with another thickness and weight.

Related to actual macOS versions, here I would stick with Ventura until Sonoma get's overall more major and being the defacto common usage macOS version which also then comes preinstalled along on every new Mac hardware.