Bindweed
500 x 750 mm | 300dpi Affinity Designer

Part of the 'Untamed Project' and a mix of Raster and Vector drawing

Raster Outlines with Vector Backgrounds

Coloured Version with Texture Overlay using the new 2.1 Asset to Fill Feature

Bindweed@0.3x.jpg

Tinted Version using Hue Overlay and without dot texture 

Bindweed@0.3x.jpg

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

@StuartRc Amazing!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

6 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

@StuartRc Amazing!

Thank you very much! it is really appreciated.

I enjoyed attacking this one. Some of the new features in 2.0 + have been a real help especially the knife tool. Vector Flood tool and Style Picker. I sort of took a different approach and treated raster objects a bit like a toolkit! or built a lot of modular objects that I can re-use.

The style picker is becoming my favourite toy!😀. It has made things much simpler being able to copy vector style | load it and attach it between objects. Then just adjust transparency direction. Saves so much time. Used to have to create tints and shades individually and then manually adjust them. Now I can just load and repeat !. You can just work with single flat colours and add all the styles after sort of creating a visible style sheet... using sets of vector groups....

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

@StuartRc  I have also been experimenting with the Style Picker Tool (although at a terribly amateurish level, compared with your elegant work) and am amazed at the things it can do.  And so quickly!  In Photo I have been delighted to find that I can even use it when a macro has been appled to text or an object which has also had adjustments, styles, palettes, and colour changes.  Pure genius!  Also the Vector Flood Fill Tool.  The V2 apps compared with V1  are rather like reading Anna Karenina after Dick and Jane.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

31 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

@StuartRc  I have also been experimenting with the Style Picker Tool (although at a terribly amateurish level, compared with your elegant work) and am amazed at the things it can do.  And so quickly!  In Photo I have been delighted to find that I can even use it when a macro has been appled to text or an object which has also had adjustments, styles, palettes, and colour changes.  Pure genius!  Also the Vector Flood Fill Tool.  The V2 apps compared with V1  are rather like reading Anna Karenina after Dick and Jane.  

I am finding both those tools fantastic...much easier to work with.. It has sort of changed the workflow .. a bit. Tending to just draw flat and then sample (load the style) and re-colour....great for repeated processes...which I seem to deal with a lot! So some thing like this is just draw flat inside shapes.(Red in this case so I can see what I am doing!) Then load the style from another object. (+ decide what you need to collect!).. So that drawn vectors become a palette rather than suing the style panel or swatch panel!

Used it on this little object.. not that you can see it in the drawing very well! Only drawback is having to re-orientate the Transparency tool after applying the style.. Doubt there is much that can be done about it as you cannot really interpret the direction required in a target object or indeed adjusting the value.. 

There is a great article here

Styles@0.3x.jpg

Processes
Added a Method image after discussion in new Beta 2.2 update Use of recent tools added to Affinity Apps and mixing raster + Vector Graphic elements to build re-usable structures

The combined use of Knife + Style Picker has really improved the process of constructing these type of images.
1. Couldn't really use Vector for the outlines as would simply take too long So opted for a Comic Book Style using Raster Brush Outlines and backfilling using vectors flats and infill blocks (I have a new Brush set called Comic Blocking!)
2. Once the objects are separated out and created inside the solid outline it is much easier to apply flat fills in a vivid colour (So you can see what you are doing! + So if using grouped [Raster | Vector] to build larger combined images you have base to obscure any background elements)
3. Add Vector details inside solid shape
4. Select the Style Picker and load with the required style | Colour
5. Apply to target objects (much quicker than filling by hand)
6. Set up a previous drawing as a style palette to easily select what you need (So objects can become quick palettes)

Much Much quicker!😀

Show Method@0.25x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, XPERTDESIGNER said:

@StuartRc Is there any option to get Vector Output for the Stippled Brush? I mean can I get EPS file with real Vector from the attached brushes? I can't expand strokes from these brushes. I need to know which brushes are expandable.  

Thanks in advance

22.jpg

Well!
The short answer is not at the moment. There are no pure vector brushes in AD at the moment

The long answer is maybe:
a. You cannot expand a stipple brush like the ones indicated above but you can expand the basic brush to be vector. You can also apply pressure settings to distort the shape of the line (make it wobbly!) but this is about the extend of the brush - vector conversion

b. To get the kind of effect that you are looking for; manually created lots of compound vectors (Meshes) to produce overlapping the patterns. It is time intensive but it is much simpler once you have a large collection!😀. While working on the 'Comic Book' Template  a series of vector sheets were built very similar to your brushes above so that I could used as a textured overlay on the panels. If you didn't have an issue or concern about using vector; the new Asset to Fill swatch tool can be also used to create stipple type patterns quickly. 

Added a lot of vector assets to resources but not the comic book stuff as it's... well not finished! 

I did create a small asset library of repeating textures (Mostly irregular dots) but it is not installed at the moment! Some of the resources below may help you quickly construct the effect you are looking for!

Resources
1. Repeating vector texture assets here
2. Grunge Vectors here
3. Camouflage II assets have a limited collection of meshes here
4. Rock Monster World also has a small collection of vector grunge to enhance the rocks here
5. Planetary Assets here (have a lot of overlaying textures that you could mould into the vector patterns that you require)
6. Poison Assets here old but has the dot patterning

Samples no available
a. Comic Dot Brush Set here
b. Large Vector Grunge Patterns here (These are raster brush patterns | textures  converted to vector assets. They are square on the sample sheet but much larger in reality. Sized to the width of Panels or tiers in the current template)
c. Comic Book Splat assets (vector) can be manipulated to create the above effect here

1 hour ago, XPERTDESIGNER said:

Do you have any instructions or Videos on how to use these on iPad?

If they're brushes, textures, Assets, etc. they should work the same on iPad or Desktop.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi 
Well as @walt.farrell has indicated they are just assets. You can use them as you wish. That was the point of adding stuff to resources.. 

I did put together some time ago!.. For the Camouflage drawings I believe, (Must get around to a new one!) a set of basic instructions on how to assemble vector drawings using the textures and assets:
a. Camouflage I (Assets samples and construction) 
b. Camouflage II (Layout and asset construction) and how the patterns are assembled
c. Camouflage III Use of assets to build objects and full asset and toolkit examples

For Bindweed as above the assets are slightly different in that they are assembled from 2 primary elements (a overlay raster Ink outline and a vector coloured base with container vectors for details). Well with the exception of the background which is not really that visible but composed of Planets from the Planetary and Galaxy toolkits (not completed! yet!)