You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is V1.10.5, hopefully it'll work for you

Place the doc in Publisher, it must be embedded
Double click on it in the Layers panel so it opens in a new tab
Select Photo persona
Unclip canvas
Kill that tab to return to main document tab

No idea why it misbehaves

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

15 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

This is V1.10.5, hopefully it'll work for you

Place the doc in Publisher, it must be embedded
Double click on it in the Layers panel so it opens in a new tab
Select Photo persona
Unclip canvas
Kill that tab to return to main document tab

No idea why it misbehaves

Thank you for the workaround - but ideally it should open the file as normal.

I opened the PDF file in Apple's Preview application and saved it as a PDF and had no problem placing that PDF in a Publisher document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

40 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I opened the PDF file in Apple's Preview application and saved it as a PDF and had no problem placing that PDF in a Publisher document.

Well I don't run MacOS and run Windows 10 when you open the file (Not placing it) it seems to crop it.

As you can see the PDF opens correctly on Nitro PDF or Acrobat but it is cropped in Publisher. I can confirm this happens in V1 as well.

2023-05-31_195324.png

2023-05-31_195418.png

Hi @Sam Neil,

The issue is a result of a messed up pdf file that has non corresponding Media Box, Crop Box and Art Box sizing.

On opening the pdf in the Affinity apps, the Art Box size is used, for this particular pdf file the Art Box size is shown as 53.038 mm x 60.072 mm which matches the Document Size in the Affinity Apps...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

9 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Sam Neil,

The issue is a result of a messed up pdf file that has non corresponding Media Box, Crop Box and Art Box sizing.

On opening the pdf in the Affinity apps, the Art Box size is used, for this particular pdf file the Art Box size is shown as 53.038 mm x 60.072 mm which matches the Document Size in the Affinity Apps...

Thank you for the info. I am not sure why they are messed up. I was given a bunch that turned out to be like this. At least I know where the issue lies. Thank you for this. Don't you think Affinity should have a fallback for such cases?

3 hours ago, Sam Neil said:

Don't you think Affinity should have a fallback for such cases?

In general, I'm not really sure what the fallback position would be in an instance like this bearing in mind the differing rules based on the pdf format, though I guess the Media Box would be teh logical choice... though in your PDF 1.7 file, because there is a Crop Box, the Artbox is supposed to extend beyond its boundaries which it doesn't.

• Each page in a PDF can have different sizes for the various page boxes.
  • The page boxes are always rectangular. That may seem logical but artwork is not always rectangular: a PDF can represent an oval label or the foldout of a cardboard box.
  • A PDF always has a MediaBox definition. All the other page boxes do not necessarily have to be present in regular PDF files.
  • The above rule is not true for the PDF/X file formats:
    • PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3 compliant files need to include the MediaBox, TrimBox, and BleedBox.
    • PDF/X-4 files need, next to the MediaBox, a TrimBox or an ArtBox, but not both. The ArtBox or TrimBox cannot be larger than the BleedBox. If a CropBox is present, the ArtBox,  TrimBox, and BleedBox need to extend beyond its boundaries.
  • The MediaBox is the largest page box in a PDF. The other page boxes can equal the size of the MediaBox but they are not expected to be larger (The latter is explicitly required in the PDF/X-4 requirements). If they are larger, the PDF viewer will use the values of the MediaBox.

As the files have been created incorrectly my first instinct would be to go back to the place where they were generated and ask them to provide a correct set of pdf files, you should need to be messing about with these. I'm unsure what you plan to do with the files but as you've likely seen, opening the files just gives you a series of rectangular image layers, again likely not what you want either...

You can certainly place the files into a Publisher document however as others have mentioned and change the Pagebox setting to either Media Box or Crop Box.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

8 minutes ago, Hangman said:

In general, I'm not really sure what the fallback position would be in an instance like this bearing in mind the differing rules based on the pdf format, though I guess the Media Box would be teh logical choice... though in your PDF 1.7 file, because there is a Crop Box, the Artbox is supposed to extend beyond its boundaries which it doesn't.

• Each page in a PDF can have different sizes for the various page boxes.
  • The page boxes are always rectangular. That may seem logical but artwork is not always rectangular: a PDF can represent an oval label or the foldout of a cardboard box.
  • A PDF always has a MediaBox definition. All the other page boxes do not necessarily have to be present in regular PDF files.
  • The above rule is not true for the PDF/X file formats:
    • PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3 compliant files need to include the MediaBox, TrimBox, and BleedBox.
    • PDF/X-4 files need, next to the MediaBox, a TrimBox or an ArtBox, but not both. The ArtBox or TrimBox cannot be larger than the BleedBox. If a CropBox is present, the ArtBox,  TrimBox, and BleedBox need to extend beyond its boundaries.
  • The MediaBox is the largest page box in a PDF. The other page boxes can equal the size of the MediaBox but they are not expected to be larger (The latter is explicitly required in the PDF/X-4 requirements). If they are larger, the PDF viewer will use the values of the MediaBox.

As the files have been created incorrectly my first instinct would be to go back to the place where they were generated and ask them to provide a correct set of pdf files, you should need to be messing about with these. I'm unsure what you plan to do with the files but as you've likely seen, opening the files just gives you a series of rectangular image layers, again likely not what you want either...

You can certainly place the files into a Publisher document however as others have mentioned and change the Pagebox setting to either Media Box or Crop Box.

Thank you for the explanation. The issue is when it comes to Batch conversion which is where I spotted this issue.

1 hour ago, Sam Neil said:

As I explained - This is does not work when it comes to Batch conversion.

What do you mean by Batch Conversion exactly... are you not able to request correctly formatted pdf files from the originator?

10 hours ago, Sam Neil said:

As I explained - This is does not work when it comes to Batch conversion.

Nor would I expect it to as the source pdf files are incorrectly 'formatted'...

I'm unsure what your relationship is with the creator/generator of the pdf files but personally I would treat them in the same way I'd treat corrupt files, as in, I would ask for the files to be correctly formatted and resent so you can use them as intended...

If you were to send the pdf file to a print house they would be rejected, this is no different, personally I would reject them.

If, for whatever, reason that isn't an option then you have two choices both of which involve manually correcting the files so you can use them for their intended purpose...

Option 1
Use software capable of accessing the pdf box information and then manually correct the Art Box, Bleed Box and Trim Box dimensions for every file and re-epxort...

Option 2
Place each pdf file onto a new page in a Publisher document, change the default 'Pagebox: Trim Box' to 'Pagebox: Crop Box (or Media Box)' on the context toolbar for each placed pdf on each page and then export your document to jpeg which will give you individual, useable jpg files...

Either way, both options involve work and if you have a lot of images will take time to correct but at least you have the choice... request new files or manually correct the files you've been provided with...

4 hours ago, Hangman said:

Nor would I expect it to as the source pdf files are incorrectly 'formatted'...

I'm unsure what your relationship is with the creator/generator of the pdf files but personally I would treat them in the same way I'd treat corrupt files as in I would ask for the files to be correctly formatted and resent so you can use them as intended...

If you were to send the pdf file to a print house, they would be rejected, this is no different, personally I would reject them.

If for whatever reason that isn't an option then you have two choice both of which involve manually having to correct the files so you can use them for their intended purpose...

Option 1
Use software capable of accessing the pdf box information and then manually correct the Art Box, Bleed Box and Trim Box dimensions for every file and re-epxort...

Option 2
Place each pdf file onto a new page in a Publisher document, change the default 'Pagebox: Trim Box' to 'Pagebox: Crop Box (or Media Box)' on the context toolbar for each placed pdf on each page and then export your document to jpeg which will give you individual, useable jpg files...

Either way, both options involve work and if you have a lot of images will take time to correct but at least you have the choice... request new files or manually correct the files you've been provided with...

Thank you for the advise/Info