You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 months later...

Now up to 2.2.0.1881 and this issue remains. White Balance works correctly with RAW files, but not with a simple jpeg:

1) Open "Info" at lower right.
2) Select "Sample from location" and place the target on an area you want to sample, just so you can see the RGB values.
3) Select "White Balance" from the column on the right, "default".
4) Select "Picker" and sample close to, or around, the RGB value target.

Both sliders should have been adjusted such that the RGB values are all equal- a pure grey. That's how white balance should work, but only the upper slider is getting adjusted.

Also, the small target for RGB normally appears at the upper left of the image, but I noticed that it was off the image to the lower right today. Not sure if that's a new bug or something I did differently.

Thanks!

• Staff

Hey Conrad Hoffman,

As far as I know, the Tint is only affected when the Temperature is set to use Kelvin. In the Develop Persona, you will notice that the Temperature uses Kelvin and if you develop the image (as a Pixel layer) and return, the Temperature then uses % as opposed to K. Using the White Balance Tool here only adjusts the Temperature and leaves the Tint alone—similar to how the Picker only affects Temperature on a JPEG.

As far as I can see, this has always been the case and is true for V1. Unless I have completely misunderstood your post? 

Can you suggest another app that does this different to what we do so I can investigate further?

I have managed to reproduce the issue regarding the target. If I add and delete a couple of times, the target seems to be placed to the right of my image, as opposed to the top left corner as expected. I can log this. 

Hi Chris,

Yes, it's always been this way. It defeats the purpose of using grey cards and such, something I do often. I don't have the "mainstream" programs, but-

Paint Shop Pro 2019, 21.1.0.22 x64: Found under "Adjust", their implementation is a bit of a confused mess, but the picker does adjust both temp and tint correctly.

Luminar AI, 1.5.5 (not Neo): Found under "Light", the picker adjusts both and works correctly.

Qimage Ultimate, any recent version: Qimage is mostly a printing program, but does have some unusual editing capabilities. Under "Edit Image" the picker does full adjustment and works correctly. FWIW, this program can be considered a gold standard when it comes to color management and printing, but the learning curve is a bit steep and the interface is "unique."

I don't understand why Affinity Photo would only adjust temp with jpg images (I haven't tried Kelvin yet). If there's a reason one would want it that way, please let me know!

Best,
Conrad

• Staff

Thanks! We can take a look at those.

10 minutes ago, Conrad Hoffman said:

I don't understand why Affinity Photo would only adjust temp with jpg images

It is likely a bug, in this case. I think because it has been this way since day 1, I or we have not realised it should work in another way :) I can get this passed back to the developers. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Conrad Hoffman said:

Not sure how to display kelvin?

As far as I know it is only provided with RAW images or RAW image layers, not with JPG/TIFF/PNG.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As far as I know it is only provided with RAW images or RAW image layers, not with JPG/TIFF/PNG.

That aligns with what Chris wrote here:

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

In the Develop Persona, you will notice that the Temperature uses Kelvin and if you develop the image (as a Pixel layer) and return, the Temperature then uses % as opposed to K.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Currently selecting the White Balance tool in 2.2.0 (1881) and sampling a RAW file removes the check mark from the White Balance panel and subsequently closes the panel even though the values are still being updated but I think this is part of an already reported bug regarding certain sliders not working unless the option is unchecked and then checked again, e.g., the Shadows & Highlights sliders.

Though the behaviour for the White Balance tool is slightly different, in as much as unchecking and rechecking the White Balance option makes no difference, as soon as you sample the image the check mark is removed and the panel closed.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @Chris B,

In previous versions of Photo, opening a RAW file resulted in the Exposure and Enhance options being auto-selected but White Balance, Shadows & Highlights and Profiles are initially unselected.

In 2.2.0 it's the opposite, i.e., the Exposure and Enhance options are not selected but White Balance, Shadows & Highlights and Profiles are auto-selected.

Leaving White Balance selected, as soon as you select the White Balance tool and sample the image, the White Balance checkmark is removed from the White Balance Panel resulting in the panel closing but the White Balance values are correctly updating. If you then add a checkmark in the White Balance panel again so you can see the values and take another sample using the White Balance tool, the checkmark is again removed and the panel closes.

This feels like a slightly different but possibly related issue/bug, though I'm not sure...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

We've got a newer build that has fixed the issue you mentioned but it is different to what the OP is talking about :)

Sorry, I realised this is a different issue, I should have made a separate thread but glad this particular issue is fixed in a newer build... :)

• 6 months later...