You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fotosketcher 3.90 has just been released with new painting styles and script options

Archangel

• 5 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 3:44 PM, Archangel said:

Fotosketcher 3.90 is now available with a new painting style and scripting support. It also has the ability to use multiple painting styles one after the other.

https://fotosketcher.com/1

It would be nice if the post could give some more context, specifically how it is related or integrated with Affinity Apps, and explain the use case.

The way I interpret the forum guidelines it is not allowed to post plain advertising for other apps, no matter of commercial or freeware. All content should have some relation to Affinity Apps, or work created by Affinity Apps.

A better way would be to create a small tutorial how to a achieve the specific effect by the external program as part of an workflow based on Affinity apps, e.g. including copy/paste, or export/import to integrate both Apps.

I don’t want to police this thread. As a user I want to get at least a short description about any links, so a can decide if it is worth my time to click that link.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

From Fotosketcher web site:

"FotoSketcher is a 100% free program for Windows (there is also an experimental version for MacOS) which converts your digital photos into art automatically and in just a few mouse clicks. Over 20 different styles are available from pencil sketches to watercolor or oil paintings, pen & ink drawings, abstract art and cartoons. From photo to painting (landscapes, architecture, portraits, etc.) in seconds!

You can also improve your original photos with simple tools (enhance contrast, sharpen, simplify image, increase luminosity, color saturation etc…) and add simple or realistic frames and text.

For advanced users, some more powerful tools allow you to batch process several images, manually retouch some areas of your pictures, combine multiple filters and even create your own effects by using the script function.

FotoSketcher is completely free (even for commercial use, if you wish to sell your pictures) and does not contain any adware, spyware or virus. It runs on Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and the latest Windows 10 (an experimental Mac version is also available from the download page)."

Tutorials are available on the website.

To be honest, I think it's quite valid to post this information here as a resource, as painting/drawing effects are something that has been asked about, but are quite difficult to create within the Affinity apps.  Although this is a stand alone app, rather than a plugin, so are a number of other apps that have been mentioned in the forums, such as Vectorizer (which has been mentioned ad infinitum!)

I'd agree that a little more information might be nice for people who don't know about a particular item that is mentioned, but for those of us who use Fotosketcher, it's nice to be informed when there is a new update. 🙂

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

It is software that can be used very creatively with Affinity or any other creative program, either as shown on the website or more cleverly, used for discrete effects. I've forgotten to use it for a few years, so thanks, I'm going to drag it into my work again.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

On 11/4/2023 at 8:08 AM, husan said:

is it working for affinity photo?

I have asked the author if he will provide the app as a plugin for Affinity Photo and he is willing to do so. He just needs the Affinity team to provide him with the information necessary to write the appropriate code to work with Photo. For me, it replaces the Instant Artist feature that was included with Photoplus, Serif's older graphics software.

Hi @Archangel I tried this software, and it is great. It might be a good idea tell the author to email Serif directly to give him the information being that his software is proprietary.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

13 hours ago, Archangel said:

I have asked the author if he will provide the app as a plugin for Affinity Photo and he is willing to do so. He just needs the Affinity team to provide him with the information necessary to write the appropriate code to work with Photo. For me, it replaces the Instant Artist feature that was included with Photoplus, Serif's older vector graphics software.

Is it possible to make a plugin?

13 hours ago, Archangel said:

He just needs the Affinity team to provide him with the information necessary to write the appropriate code to work with Photo.

The only documentation available is that for Photoshop image plugins (.8bf format), so if they're familiar with Photoshop plugins and use older functions it should be possible to just develop for Photoshop and use the plugin in Affinity Photo. Or they could develop for the Open Source G'Mic system, which provides a plugin for Windows users.

Serif may provide more documentation when they release their scripting support, which is promised but not yet available.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:00 PM, walt.farrell said:

Serif may provide more documentation when they release their scripting support, which is promised but not yet available.

This “more” somehow suggests that there would already be some kind of Serif-based documentation for creating plugins, which unfortunately is not the case here. All legacy PS C++ Plugin API documents come from Adobe or other third parties. There is nothing that Serif has ever published about this materia, which by the way is pretty weak and a disgrace.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2