You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Median brush tool has no any effect :(

Try using a bigger brush size, go for twice the size you have in your video. Also try increasing the brush hardness to about 40%

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Your video shows at least one effect of a known bug: the transparent preview. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=AFP-2634

But supposedly that is just an error in the preview, not in the action of the brush itself. However, in a quick test in 2.0.4 the Median Brush Tool diAdn't have any effect for me, either. (Confirmed by duplicating the pixel layer, using Median Brush Tool on upper layer, and setting that layer to Difference Blend Mode.) Tried with Hardware Acceleration on, and off.

Also doesn't seem to work in 2.1.0.1769 (but only tried with Hardware Acceleration on).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It feels like a bug, to me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Probably windows based because the brush works on mac OS X Monterey 12.6.4 The brush works but I do have the transparency issue.

image.thumb.png.12cab2121fe68e27bfbd62e15eeb5115.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Topaz Gigapixel Ai has a good jpeg artefact cleanup, it can be a bit excessive, see the first image using the very compressed setting and it borders on an almost vector style but the low res setting (second image) does a good job of retaining the photo look but removing the artefacts. 

PIXNIO-7837-1000x750-gigapixel-very_compressed-scale-2_00x
PIXNIO-7837-1000x750-gigapixel-very_compressed-scale-2_00x.thumb.jpeg.94f9e62511afbf1fcb7725cd22668b50.jpeg

PIXNIO-7837-1000x750-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x
PIXNIO-7837-1000x750-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.thumb.jpeg.b1d9b0f20dfefc479a8941c681002bb9.jpeg

• Staff

Hi @RBeci,

There is a logged issue with the developers affecting both Mac and Windows which may be in part causing the issue: The Blur, Sharpen and Median brushes have no progressive effect when used on the same area of the image on a single passage (I.E if you use the brush in the same area of the image in a single pass multiple times without letting go of your mouse click, nothing further happens to that area), But if you brush over the same area with multiple passes/clicks this should still work progressively.

I set up my brush settings as shown in your earlier recording and grabbed your original image and was able to remove the noise after a few brush passes, does it make any difference if you turn off Hardware Acceleration (Under Edit > Preferences > Performance)  and then restart the app and try this again? Also, are you using a basic round brush from the brushes panel for this?

There is a Plugin that is compatible with Affinity called Akvis Artefact Remover: https://akvis.com/en/download.php and while it doesn't always remove all of the artefacting it can certainly speed up the process and help make the tedious removal, less so.

It's also free ,although an email registration is required to get a licence key.  

Beside using APhoto's tools or other commercial products there is also the "free A.I. route"

E.g., I needed a flexible upscale and artifact removal solution and found out about a database with numerous A.I. models that offer that:

https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Model_Database

This website lists the models and also has links to UIs to use the models (you don't need to use a command line or write your own code)

Example:

https://github.com/n00mkrad/cupscale

This UI lets you chose which A.I. model to use (e.g. jpg fixing ones, upscalers) or even create comparisons for various different models.

cupscale.thumb.jpg.24a422e80ed65f64f3ea1fa272cdea14.jpg

I selected the model: 1x_Saiyajin_DeJPEG_300000_G.pth

and 2.8 sec. later I had the below result:

jpg-artifact-removal-comparison.thumb.jpg.dd60fecfe83103114f30c3a6c890a530.jpg

It is not perfect, but in total the time invested was below one minute to get it.

Side note: It takes a little investigation to understand the requirements to run those A.I. solutions (e.g. most of them require an installed python environment and often they prefer or need an nvidia GPU with enough vram (some even need the the nvidia cuda framework to utilize the tensor cores of the GPU); others work well on AMD cards or even the CPU (the latter one is often not recommended because it is to slow). It can be a bit confusing at first, but once it is set up, you have a lot of A.I. options for free.

Edited by cgidesign
typo