You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I make a sphere vector in Designer?

Hello, 

Its been a while since I've posted here but the times I have, the community has been of much help. 

I'm having an issue on trying to create a nice globe/sphere vector in designer and not really sure if its possible without having to draw each line one by one and as symmetrically as possible. I'm trying to make a sphere vector/wireframe like the example shown on this post where you only see the vector lines on the visible face (not to where you can see the back side as if its see through).

If anyone know, this would be of great help and appreciation. 

image.png.b1dc8d997eaaf5ed7fe1a103024aa580.png

EDIT: thank you all for the help, using inkscape was perfect for creating a sphere wireframe and configuring how I want it. thank you all for the information and tips!

It might be possible to do what you want but, because the Affinity applications have no 3D capabilities, it would take a lot of careful work possibly with a lot of manual calculations – unless someone has a good method which I don’t know about.

I think I saw a technique for making something close to this sort of thing a while back but that only worked where the ‘poles’ of the sphere were at the North and South and therefore hidden from the viewer, like the middle example in your image.

I think it would probably be much easier to create this sort of thing in a 3D application – e.g. Blender – and then export it to a file format which can then be imported into the Affinity applications.

There are also a bunch of Python scripting examples for generating spheres and globes, where the more interesting ones are then for building earth globe animations ...

basemap_rotating_globe.gif.7c9af06ab57ead7bec6fb5fa859b05f1.gif

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

Perhaps a silly question, but, how export a Sphere from Inkscape (in vectorformat) that is editable in Affinity Designer/Publisher?

If I export as SVG in Inkscape I can’t use Vector Flood Fill as an example in Affinity Designer - the Sphere is locked…

Anyone who have a clue?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

43 minutes ago, MiWe said:

OT: Why does the globe turn in the wrong direction 🤪 ?

Inkscape is very handy as an 'addon' for AD.

But, on my Mac Inkscape is rather buggy and inconsistent…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

3 hours ago, MiWe said:

OT: Why does the globe turn in the wrong direction 🤪 ?

Since the author of the GitHub project did constructed his animated gif this way. One can usually adjust all those things (as animation rotation direction & speed etc.).

just_earth_200.gif?w=480

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, MiWe said:

Using copy/paste works her on Win10 ...

Have you tested to edit the spheres in Win10 in Affinity Designer/Publisher (in vector format)?

20 hours ago, MiWe said:

Using copy/paste works her on Win10 ...

Doesn’t work to copy & paste in MacOS (Macbook Pro/Ventura)…

23 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

I repeat my question above:

Perhaps a silly question, but, how export a Sphere from Inkscape (in vectorformat) that is editable in Affinity Designer/Publisher?

If I export as SVG in Inkscape I can’t use Vector Flood Fill as an example in Affinity Designer - the Sphere is locked…

Anyone who have a clue?

41 minutes ago, MiWe said:

Yes ... works !

You have to activate 'Copy elements as SVG' or somethng similar in preferences.

Can’t find such a preferences…

@AffinityMakesMeSmile

Use the plain.svg format to export. With this you should be able to edit it in Designer 2 (2.1.x.yyyy if you want use the vector flood fill)

image.thumb.png.fab02f552cf61515c1f2e458a9babeb2.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

9 minutes ago, Komatös said:

@AffinityMakesMeSmile

Use the plain.svg format to export. With this you should be able to edit it in Designer 2 (2.1.x.yyyy if you want use the vector flood fill)

image.thumb.png.fab02f552cf61515c1f2e458a9babeb2.png

Thanks alot!!