You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting brush not removing things

I have only had this over the last few days. 

Working on a project in publisher 2.04 wanting to remove some text on a photo so click on the photo persona tried using the Inpainting brush   to remove the text, but all I get is the assistant saying the photo has been rasterised, and the inpainting brush seems to be doing nothing. If I open Photo 2.04 on its own, bring the same photo straight into that program inpainting brush works as expected and removes the text.

As I said earlier this has only just started to happen in the last few days, and it is happening to every project I am working on. So not sure if this is a bug or if I have changed something by accident.

Any help would be appreciated

PS: all photo types getting the same thing happening including ".afphoto"

Using Windows 11 22h2 OS Build 22621.1413 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700F   2.10 GHz

16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) mem

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

There's a few things that may cause this.

• Check and double-check the settings in the Context Toolbar for the Inpainting Brush.
    • Applying to either Current Layer, or Current Layer and Below
    • Opacity
    • Hardness
    • Press the MORE button and check the settings
  • Check to ensure it is the Inpainting Brush, and not one of the other Brushes included in the Flyout menu
  • Is the Text you're attempting to remove, baked into the photo or is it a separate Text Layer
  • How is the image brought into Publisher?
    • Placing the image using an Image Frame?
    • Placing the image without an Image Frame?
    • Placing on a Page, or Master Page?

One thing I did notice, which is one of the more common reasons for nothing happening when using the Inpainting Brush, is the Layer selection on the Context Toolbar. I tested this by setting it to Current Layer and Below in Photo Persona of Publisher, then opening AP outside of Publisher and noticed it was the default setting of Current Layer.

Check what Brush is being used for the Inpainting Tool. With Affinity apps, these can be shared, so it would be easy to have a brush that may not be suited for this purpose assigned to it.

I did run through tests for all the above, using photos I had that had text, watermarks, logos, ect. I could not replicate your issue. I could easily remove what I needed. So could you share/attach your afpub file, or a screen cap video showing the problem you're having?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

21 hours ago, accesstime said:

but all I get is the assistant saying the photo has been rasterised,

When that happens, you weren't using the brush on a Pixel layer. But after rasterization i would still expect it to work, and it does in my testing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, accesstime said:

Can't understand what's changed.

Without screenshots, or video showing the problem, or (especially helpful) a sample document, we'll probably never know.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, accesstime said:

not sure I have a program to record the actions.

As you're on Windows 11 22H2 the Snipping Tool in Windows will do it.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
15 hours ago, accesstime said:

Pictures are just added via the insert picture

Please ensure your placed image layer is rasterised from (Image) to (Pixel) in order for the Inpainting Tool to work. This can be done by right-clicking on the (Image) layer and selecting Rasterise.

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry it has taken so long to get back to this but had a stressful time lately.

I have recorded a small movie, what format do I use to put it on here? As I tried just dragging it onto the attach files, and for some reason it's not playing on the site. It is wmv format at the moment. works on all my computers no problem.

Ok! don't worry, triad a different way. The above file will download to your computers now. As I said, this would work fine if you put the picture into "Photo 2.04" directly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both publisher and photo, but it makes no difference, I always get the same result. Which in the past was not the case. 

Just wanted to weigh in on this thread as I experienced the exact same problem as accesstime -- and had the same solution.

I've noticed since the last upgrade (I'm now on 2.0.4) that a few odd things are happening, like I often lose all of my windows etc. It might just be that you've changed a shortcut to something that I use all the time (or it could be that Windows updates are processing keystrokes differently. In any case, I'm often having to reset my workspace. 

What does this have to do with inpainting? Just that this also feels like it occurred immediately after that last upgrade.  My inpainting toolbrush went down to 10% opacity by itself. It certainly wasn't a decision on my part. It's an easy fix but if, like me, you don't touch this setting, it's easy to miss.

But don't forget that with any kind of Brush Tool active, including the InPainting Brush Tool, all you have to do to end up with 10% opacity is press the 1 key when the focus isn't in an input field. 

So it's quite possible for it to be a user error.

-- Walt
PC:

• 8 months later...

I have a similar problem and I can't solve it:

- PNG image pasted

- rasterised

- added a new pixel layer on top

- In the Inpainting Brush Tool I set Current Layer & Below

- the device draws a black line.

- I reset it under the More button, but to no avail. Any other ideas?

image.thumb.png.faceb3f9c7c20c1a7e90a3b7f5b7b74c.png

And result:

image.thumb.png.dc3a27064091be51511bf6fdd1098dc7.png

I also tried putting just this picture in a group to do it within, but it didn't help. The base background colour is black (not visible between the layers, it's lower down), probably that's what you sampled from?

• Staff
14 hours ago, mykee said:

- PNG image pasted

- rasterised

(..)

image.thumb.png.faceb3f9c7c20c1a7e90a3b7f5b7b74c.png

Looking at the above screenshot, the 'shutterstock_3' layer appears to still be an Image, based on the Layers icon. Are you certain you have rasterised this image before using the tool? :)

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Looking at the above screenshot, the 'shutterstock_3' layer appears to still be an Image, based on the Layers icon. Are you certain you have rasterised this image before using the tool? :)

From the OP description, he's working in a new pixel layer with the Inpainting Tool set to Current Layer & Below thus the Image layer doesn't need to be rasterised - the output will be placed in the new pixel layer. Even if he was working directly with the Image layer, Affinity would rasterise the layer for him automatically.

@MEB, @Dan C Thank you for your feedback! I reset the brush in the parameters, I used a masking brush. I tried it without and with rasterization. It seems like it takes the bottom, black layer and fills it with that as an inpaint image, and ignores the layer above it. The project is saved, I can upload it for testing (don't bother with the fonts).