You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Endlessly stuck on Loading Document for a specific document

Hi everyone.

I was working on a file, everything was going perfectly, but now I can't open it anymore. I would try to recall exactly how it happened: 

I used "force quit" from my Mac to exit the document as I had to leave quickly, and then internally from the hard drive I moved the file I was working on from its current location on the Mac to a shared OneDrive folder. Later on, after restarting the computer, I tried opening it but it gets stuck on "Loading 1 Document" forever (waited for a day), and in the process my Mac's CPU usage rampage to 100%. Since then, I haven't been able to open it. Note I can still work normally on other files without any issues.

I have tried a few things:

• I sent the document to a friend who was able to open it without any issues. I asked him to save it with another name and send it back, but I still can't open this new file.
  • I also asked a friend to copy a few elements from inside the file to another new one and send it to me, but still can't open this new one.

Following forum's guidelines:

1. I am using the latest version of Affinity Designer 2.
  2. I can upload the document but I would need you to provide a safe link.
  3. General Description:
    1. Operating System MacOS Monterey version 12.6.3 (21G419).
    2. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    3. Processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    4. Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    5. Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
    6. I have turned hardware acceleration OFF.

Thanks!

Edited by mlcanales

If the document has linked files rename the top-level folder that contains the linked files so it can't access them

If it then opens for you relink the files and see what happens

Alternatively, try the V2 beta or upload it to the forum and someone will test it on that for you

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi @mlcanales, hopefully one of the moderators will provide a private dropbox link so you can upload your file...

This sounds very similar to another report where other users could open the file on both Mac and Windows but when resaved on both platforms the OP was only able to open the Windows resaved version but not the Mac resaved version...

In the meantime you could try deleting the mru.dat file to see if that resolves the issue...

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2

Or in the Finder hold the Option (Alt) key and select Library from the Go menu and then navigate to Application Support/Affinity Designer 2, select the mru.dat file and delete it and then launch Designer and see if you can open your file.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @Hangman, Thanks for the reply.

I tried deleting the mru.dat without success.

@NathanCI have attached two files:

1. BEACON Paper Figures This is the original file which is not working anymore for me (can't open it).
  2. Affinity Copy Test.afdesign My friend opened the original, copied and pasted a few elements into another new file and sent it back to me. This is that file.

Thanks again!

Hi @mlcanales, Thanks for giving that a go...

There have been several reports of this issue recently... hopefully @NathanC will be able to find out what is causing it.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

• Staff

Hey @mlcanales thanks for sending over the files,

I've PM'd you Dropbox link which contains two versions of your file, one which I've gone scorched earth on and deleted every single embedded image contained within the file, and another version of the file which has had all the images changed over to be linked resources along with the Image folder to re-link it to.

Could you first check if you're able to open the file which contains no images? This is just to help me ascertain if they are the cause of the problem.

If that works, could you try and open the file with the images all linked? If it opens successfully, download the 'Images' folder and then re-link it back to that folder, and then save and close the file and see if can be opened again.

@Hangman I've currently got another MacOS user with this exact same problem and pending a response from them, if they work on a file and they embed an image and save it can potentially permanently lock them out of opening that file in the future with an endless loading loop which sounds like a similar scenario here, If I find anything solid as to what's causing this I'll report back.

Hi @NathanC 

Thanks for the response.

I managed to open the file with all embedded images removed successfully! I then proceeded to open the file with all images linked, and it also opened successfully.

As to your final instruction "If it opens successfully, download the 'Images' folder and then re-link it back to that folder, and then save and close the file and see if can be opened again.". See questions below:

1. What do you mean with download the Images folder? When I downloaded the files from Dropbox, the 2 affinity designer files came with the Images folder already (so already downloaded?). I mention this because the second file (images linked) has already the images linked to that specific folder (so when I see the Resource Manager, and ask to locate the pictures in Finder, it goes directly to that already downloaded Images folder).
  2. Not sure if this is what you wanted but I did the following:
    1. I first moved the already downloaded Images folder to a different Finder location.
    2. Affinity Designer warned me all images links were missing, so I re-linked them all to the Images folder in the new location
    3. Affinity designer then prompted it was all good, so I proceeded to save the document, exit, and re-open again with no issues.

Thanks again!

Edited by mlcanales

• Staff

Hi @mlcanales thanks for confirming,

On 3/31/2023 at 12:29 AM, mlcanales said:

What do you mean with download the Images folder? When I downloaded the files from Dropbox, the 2 affinity designer files came with the Images folder already (so already downloaded?). I mention this because the second file (images linked) has already the images linked to that specific folder (so when I see the Resource Manager, and ask to locate the pictures in Finder, it goes directly to that already downloaded Images folder).

Don't worry about doing this since you've already confirmed that the file has opened without the need to open it with the images unlinked, my intention was to check if the file opened without the images being auto linked back by not downloading the 'images' folder, but this is now unnecessary since it has worked with linked images.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:29 AM, mlcanales said:

Not sure if this is what you wanted but I did the following:

1. I first moved the already downloaded Images folder to a different Finder location.
  2. Affinity Designer warned me all images links were missing, so I re-linked them all to the Images folder in the new location
  3. Affinity designer then prompted it was all good, so I proceeded to save the document, exit, and re-open again with no issues.

That's great news, for now it may be best to just stick with having any placed content be set to linked to avoid potentially running into this again on this specific file (You can set image placement policy to 'Prefer Linked' in the Document Setup menu along the context toolbar) if you run into this same problem on any other file with embedded images could you let me know? I'll raise this internally to see if we can identify what is causing this.

• 2 months later...

Hi @Hangman/@NathanC, I'm also experiencing this same problem.  It looks like I just can't open any of my Designer files with embedded images since upgrading to V2:

1. I am using the latest version of Affinity Designer 2.1.0.
  2. I can upload the document but I would need you to provide a safe link.
  3. General Description:
    1. Operating System MacOS Monterey version 12.6.6 (21G419).
    2. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    3. Processor 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    4. Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    5. Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536MB
    6. I have turned hardware acceleration OFF

Unfortunately, I have no option to delete the MRU.dat file as I don't actually get those folders created after installing Affinity V2 - its like they don't exist (update: I was able to find the folder by selecting 'Open Affinity Fonts Folder in Finder' from the preferences menu - all of a sudden the application support folder was there and I deleted the MRU.dat file but this didn't help). 

However, reading all of the above, it sounds like my issue is also the same as I hit the loading loop issue when trying to open files with embedded images/files:

Screenshot2023-06-09at23_05_07.png.f8d92a51dbdab6943ab97eccc0cb91f8.png

I can open any other file easily and quickly regardless of size of the file. But even a small file with embedded image just doesn't do anything (however it does seem to max out the CPU usage though once it hits the loading loop):

Screenshot2023-06-09at23_10_17.thumb.png.ddce9a91b1f2b2b33498205c9f0208bd.png

Please help! :(

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 23.03.51.png

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 23.28.28.png

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 23.29.15.png

Edited by beardedcraig
found the application support folder via other means

On 3/30/2023 at 9:44 AM, NathanC said:

Hey @mlcanales thanks for sending over the files,

I've PM'd you Dropbox link which contains two versions of your file, one which I've gone scorched earth on and deleted every single embedded image contained within the file, and another version of the file which has had all the images changed over to be linked resources along with the Image folder to re-link it to.

Could you first check if you're able to open the file which contains no images? This is just to help me ascertain if they are the cause of the problem.

If that works, could you try and open the file with the images all linked? If it opens successfully, download the 'Images' folder and then re-link it back to that folder, and then save and close the file and see if can be opened again.

@Hangman I've currently got another MacOS user with this exact same problem and pending a response from them, if they work on a file and they embed an image and save it can potentially permanently lock them out of opening that file in the future with an endless loading loop which sounds like a similar scenario here, If I find anything solid as to what's causing this I'll report back.

Could you do the same for me, I’m totally stuck! Or is there a way I can move the embedded files somewhere else so that I can then open the document - not sure how you did that?

2 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @beardedcraig welcome to the forums,

If you could send me a copy of your file(s) to the below dropbox link i'll then confirm if this is the same problem as OP had and then see if the files can be opened on your side if I swap the resources over to linked and go from there 🙂

https://www.dropbox.com/request/G4ZADRLm0HsPSaHbU7X2

Thanks @NathanC, have sent over.  Really appreciate this :)

• Staff

Many thanks for the files, as expected they have opened without any issues on my side, so i've gone ahead and swapped them to being linked resources, I'll DM you a dropbox link to the .Zip of both files containing the linked resources and doc shortly, let me know if you're now able to open the files.

Although it shouldn't really matter since it's resources embedded into the document one thing that stood out to me was the location the images were originally placed from being on ICloud (see below path of the embedded resource). I'm wondering since you mention you can replicate this issue on any document with an embedded resource, what if you were to create a brand new document and File > place a resource from a local location instead of ICloud and then save & close the file and see if the issue occurs when you next load the same file (make sure the placed doc is embedded).

image.png

9 hours ago, NathanC said:

Many thanks for the files, as expected they have opened without any issues on my side, so i've gone ahead and swapped them to being linked resources, I'll DM you a dropbox link to the .Zip of both files containing the linked resources and doc shortly, let me know if you're now able to open the files.

Although it shouldn't really matter since it's resources embedded into the document one thing that stood out to me was the location the images were originally placed from being on ICloud (see below path of the embedded resource). I'm wondering since you mention you can replicate this issue on any document with an embedded resource, what if you were to create a brand new document and File > place a resource from a local location instead of ICloud and then save & close the file and see if the issue occurs when you next load the same file (make sure the placed doc is embedded).

@NathanC, thanks so much. I can open those two files now! 

I also gave the additional things you suggested a go too...it looks like the issue is being caused when you have moved or altered an embedded file that was originally stored in iCloud. Like you say it shouldn't make a difference because it's supposed to be embedded but not only am I able to replicate the issue every time, but I can now resolve it too:

Replicate issue:

1. Create new affinity designer file
  2. Embed an image stored in an iCloud folder into the affinity designer file
  3. Save the affinity designer file
  4. Move the original embedded image file to a non-iCloud folder OR move the original embedded image file to any other iCloud folder OR delete the original embedded image file
  5. Try to open the affinity designer file again and you get the endless 'document loading' issue. 

Resolve the issue:

1. Move the original embedded image file back to its original location (where it was when you placed the image into the affinity designer document)
  2. Open the affinity designer file...voila! It should open no problem. 

I wonder if Designer is perhaps thinking the image is embedded when perhaps its not so naturally it then won't trigger the alert you would get with a linked image file (the one where it tells you it can't find the linked file and it needs to be located again).  

Hope that's of some use Nathan.  Thanks again for your help. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @jubarbie,

The file opens instantly for me so at least you know it is okay... :)

Have you tried a factory reset of Designer by holding the Ctrl Key down when launching and then clicking Clear when the Clear User Data dialog presents itself?

Hi @jubarbie,

Where was your file originally located, it is not best practice to have it located on a cloud drive for example.

Hi @jubarbie, okay, thanks for confirming...

Are there any unusual characters in the file path to your file or is everything pretty standard...

@Hangman this is the path to the document :

Documents/Cine/Josephine Ange Gardien/2023/ANIMS/68 - Shainez recoit une avalanche de SMS/JAG_68.afdesign

I don't think there is a unusual chars, but even if there were, for a professional software not being able to handle it would be very surprising. This doesn't happen with any other apps I use.

I'm working in the cinema industry, for movies and series, sometimes I have to edit my work very fast because the shooting is happening right now. And AD is slowing me.

There is something wrong with file path from a long time. First I couldn't export using the export persona, then there is some files I can't save without making the app crash. And now I can't open some documents.

I this would happen with other apps I would think my computer has an issue, but this only appen with Affinity Designer.