You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource Manager is not displaying all linked images

Hello everyone!

I have an Affinity Publisher 2 document on Mac with linked images. However, in Resource Manager, only some of the images are displayed. What can be the reason for this. How can I "refresh" the Resource Manager so that all images are displayed again?

Greetings
Elvis

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Can you give us a screenshot that shows the application window, with the Resource Manager showing and the Layers panel showing, and with one of the missing images selected in the Layers panel? That might help us determine the cause of the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, @whoiselvis.

That's almost what I wanted; sorry for not being precise enough. Please expand that Picture Frame layer, so we can see the image layer in the Layers panel.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, whoiselvis said:

Here's the expanded Layer. 

Thanks. 

Unfortunately, that eliminates the theory I was working toward, and I have no further ideas at the moment.

-- Walt
PC:

@whoiselvis

Can you upload the document to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You have a few unlinked attributes in the images that do not appear in the Resource Manager

One of these attributes is called Resource (see below image)

I think that is the reason why those images do not show up in the Resource Manager

You have somehow "broken" the link to the proper image as far as the Resource Manager is concerned

Not sure how it happened but may be related to how you put the images into the Picture Frames for some of your images. (e.g. Place, Copy/Paste, Drag, Replace etc ???)

Would need to test a lot more to find out what can make the Resource attribute become unlinked but no more time this week

Hopefully someone else can help further or maybe you know how you may have added those particular images which may shed some light on the issue

Can't tell if it's a bug at this stage or not

explainthis.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 month later...

I'm also getting this issue, I'm fairly sure it's a bug. I have a document (can't share publicly; confidential company document) where the majority of the images are not showing up in the Resource Manager. The document has over 50 images, all linked correctly, which are missing from the Resource Manager; there are no errors in Preflight regarding images.

If it helps, this is a document that was originally built in Publisher v1 some years ago and has been updated over the years, and then converted to a v2 file. Resource manager was working until relatively recently, though I couldn't tell you when it stopped working correctly as I've not kept an eye on it. I even tried clicking 'Replace Image' on the picture frame and re-selecting the correct image to see if that might prompt it into appearing in Resource Manager, but no such luck.

Missing images.png

Missing images 2.png

7 hours ago, SamMN said:

The document has over 50 images, all linked correctly, which are missing from the Resource Manager; there are no errors in Preflight regarding images.

7 hours ago, SamMN said:

... this is a document that was originally built in Publisher v1 some years ago and has been updated over the years ...

Perhaps at some point the (missing) images were Rasterized. If so then they will be a Pixel layer in the Publisher Document. Meaning they are not linked anymore, it would be as though you painted the pictures on a Pixel layer in Publisher.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Perhaps at some point the (missing) images were Rasterized.

5 hours ago, Return said:

It might as well be they were converted to curves.

The screenshot shows the layer with a symbol  145155112_imgsymbol.jpg.3029efa8ec4ce9d6e715c97eee4e7939.jpg  for the type "Image", right?

Even if they had been rasterized the should appear in the Resource Manager once they returned to "Image" again.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 hours ago, thomaso said:

The screenshot shows the layer with a symbol  145155112_imgsymbol.jpg.3029efa8ec4ce9d6e715c97eee4e7939.jpg  for the type "Image", right?

It also has the name Image, rather than a file name. If it had been Rasterized, and then converted back to an Image Layer, you're right that it would show up in the Resource Manager again. But in that case its layer name would be Pixel, I think. (I'm not completely sure, as my test was on iPad, where the only conversion choice I see is to Picture Frame, not Image Resource. But it has the Image icon in the Layers panel, so I think it's basically the same conversion.)

-- Walt
PC:

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

its layer name would be Pixel, I think.

It depends what you mean by "name": In V1 in the Layers panel an object name is optional, means it can have a name – but it must have a type – whereas in the Resource Manager the object appears to must have a name, respectively the pasted but unnamed object automatically gets its type as name.

1.) An image resource got selected (macOS Finder) + pasted in Affinity:
Layers Panel: shows no name + gets the type "Image".
Resource Manager: shows "Image" + suffix as name.

417555659_imagevspixellayerspanelvsresourcemanager1.thumb.jpg.84ef81e70992a3a04ecd5da40bc24a7f.jpg

2.) The image gets rasterized:
Layers panel: still no name | type "Pixel".
Resource Manager: object disappears (as expected)

1678004992_imagevspixellayerspanelvsresourcemanager2.thumb.jpg.96e05288bf96faeac81dd5ae0e15c677.jpg

3.) The image gets re-converted to an Image:
Layers panel: still no name | type "Image" (= step 1.)
Resource Manager: shows "Pixel" + no suffix as Name.

1145507296_imagevspixellayerspanelvsresourcemanager3.thumb.jpg.3d81284c2e356184eaf432a6003da012.jpg

4.) The re-converted image gets named in the Layers panel:
Layers panel: shows a name (first time) + type "Image".
Resource Manager: still shows "Pixel" as name + no suffix.

28334979_imagevspixellayerspanelvsresourcemanager4.thumb.jpg.db498e3c40153f8b1079f51fc733644c.jpg

So, it seems the image is listed in the Resource Manager accordingly to its type but there …

• it may get auto-named rather independently of its "true" or actual name (e.g. file name, layer name) +
• can erroneously stick to a type as name +
• show or not show a suffix as type.

The resource's placement state of linked, missing or embedded might make it more complex and cause same or different results. For the samples above I did not care about (= did not change) the state "embedded" which appears to be the default for a resource that was pasted this way.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I based my comment (about the Resource Manager losing the connection) on the fact that the original document was started in version one several years ago and updated several times. We could try to make a version one document and revise it ... But this would require access to what ever release of v 1 was used for making it (1.3.xx or was it 1.5.xx or was it ....) and revising it. Over the years there have been changes to how resources are handled.

This is in reference to SamMN's comment of May 15 2023. Not the original post of March 23 2023.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.