You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where have the page layout icons gone?

Where did you take that screenshot, @GRAFKOM?

I've never seen page layout icons there (V1 or V2) and I have no idea what use they might have.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Where did you take that screenshot, @GRAFKOM?

That looks like APub beta on Windows. I don’t currently have any betas installed on Windows, so I can’t check for myself, but I think you should find that you see the same thing with nothing selected when the Move Tool is active.

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I've never seen page layout icons there (V1 or V2) and I have no idea what use they might have.

I would expect them to allow quick switching between portrait and landscape.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

To be fair, he did say they were now missing. It's a bit strange though his screenie is showing it in aPub beta (Maybe an older version). It's not showing in the current though. Maybe it was something added very recently and they took out without most people noticing.

40 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That looks like APub beta on Windows. I don’t currently have any betas installed on Windows, so I can’t check for myself, but I think you should find that you see the same thing with nothing selected when the Move Tool is active.

Yes, that's what it looks like. And yes, it's not there. But I never saw it, so that's why I want to know where/when it was.

40 minutes ago, Alfred said:

So, like View > Rotate > Rotate Right (if you're already Portrait and want Landscape) or View > Rotate > Rotate Left (if you're already Landscape and want Portrait)?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

44 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I'm letting you go. Unfortunately, this is my fantasy. I wish that was the case.

This would be very quick access to the page layout.

The clicked icon (vertical and horizontal layout) would apply to the selected page or pages.

You can dream.

3 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

The clicked icon (vertical and horizontal layout) would apply to the selected page or pages.

And why would that be a function of the Move Tool?

And what should happen if you have a Facing Page spread?

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

So, like View > Rotate > Rotate Right (if you're already Portrait and want Landscape) or View > Rotate > Rotate Left (if you're already Landscape and want Portrait)?

No, that’s not what I had in mind. I was envisaging their use for simply swapping the page width and page height values (without rotating anything).

Alfred spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Alfred said:

No, that’s not what I had in mind. I was envisaging their use for simply swapping the page width and page height values (without rotating anything).

But if you take a Portrait page, and simply turn it into a Landscape page:

1. What do you do with all the content that will then be off the page? Just leave it for the user to deal with?
    and
  2. What do you do when you have a Facing Page spread?

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, GRAFKOM said:

Because these icons would be close to the Document Setup button or they can just be on the main icon bar.

To me, it's a Document Setup function, and if added should be added there.

But personally, I think it would be more trouble than it would be worth.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

During my daily work, I often need to change some pages to a layout, e.g. from portrait to landscape. So these icons would instantly change the layout of the page without going to the Document Setup button and then clicking on the appropriate icon.

I design ads, so in one document I often have several pages with different layouts, horizontal or vertical, and in addition different sizes. Let's say I have 3 vertical pages, I want to add a fourth horizontal page. If I add, it will also be vertical. Then I have to go to Document Setup and click on the horizontal layout icon. If I had these icons on the main bar, it would only take me one click.

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What do you do with all the content that will then be off the page? Just leave it for the user to deal with?

Yes.

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What do you do when you have a Facing Page spread?

As above, presumably!

Alfred spacer.png

For comparison.
CorelDraw and Publisher toolbars.
In CorelDraw there are 56 icons and in Publisher with the same width of the screen there are 44 icons
In CorelDraw, the 3 rows of icons and the main menu take up as much space on the screen as the 2 rows and main menus in Publisher.
In CorelDraw, I can set up as many rows of icons (and icons for all functions) as I want.
So I set it up so that the 2nd row is the whole time the program is running and the 3rd row changes depending on the selected tool - just like in Affinity.
So in CorelDraw I have the ability to change the layout of the page always, regardless of the moment and the tool used.
That's what I would like to have in Affinity as well
Probably the icons are too big in Affinity, they could be smaller, but from what I can see, there will never be a possibility to change the size of the interface elements (at least not for the next 8 years).

Zrzut ekranu 2023-03-21 233411.png

Zrzut ekranu 2023-03-21 233442.png

2 hours ago, GRAFKOM said:

Let's say I have 3 vertical pages, I want to add a fourth horizontal page. If I add, it will also be vertical.

Create Portrait and Landscape Master Pages of appropriate dimensions. Select the correct one when you add the new Page.

-- Walt
PC:

17 minutes ago, Red Sands said:

I'm guessing it's either an accident, or more likely that Serif's developers have put them there temporarily during development to have easier access to them to easily check something else.

If you read the entire thread you'll see they were never there. It's a request to add them, phrased in a very confusing manner.

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Create Portrait and Landscape Master Pages of appropriate dimensions. Select the correct one when you add the new Page.

If the icons were placed on the main toolbar in all 3 programs then it would be possible to change the page layout and Artboard in Designer if any, and the page layout in APhoto. These icons here would not just be limited to Publisher and Person in Publisher.
On your advice, I would have to create additional spreads in Publisher with the new file, it takes unnecessary time. As I wrote, I often have pages of different sizes in the document, and they are not usually A4 or A3, but completely different.

3 hours ago, GRAFKOM said:

I purposely asked this question to spark a discussion :)

I enjoy a good twist and turn like anyone else but I'm afraid you've gone about it the wrong way. The trendy way to go about this now is to ask ChatGPT about unsupported features and then post the responses here. Then let sit back and watch while people attempt to reverse engineer its responses.

7 hours ago, GRAFKOM said:

I purposely asked this question to spark a discussion :)

I think the question "What do you think about Page layout icons on the context toolbar?" would fulfill its purpose far more meaningfully because it would not lead the discussion in a completely wrong direction.

The question posed in this way seems a bit from the "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" category. 🙂

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, GRAFKOM said:

After all, I seriously would like to be able to access these icons in the proposals I presented. (Others would, too).

And that's fine.

But you phrased your question as: These items used to exist, and now they don't. Where have they gone.

Problem: they never existed, so that kind of question initially just confuses everyone.

-- Walt
PC: