You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: Caption to Picture Frame (I must be blind....)?

I want to add a caption to a picture frame.
Shouldn't be too difficult.... I thought.

Found this online: add a caption to a picture frame in Affinity Publisher 2, follow these steps:

1 Select the picture frame by clicking on it.
2 Go to the "Properties" panel on the right side of the interface.
3 In the "Caption" section of the panel, click the checkbox to enable captions.
4 Enter the text for your caption in the "Caption text" field.

Simple I thought....
But... my eyes must be deceiving me as I can not find the proper 'properties panel', and so can't find the caption section either.
What and where am I overlooking this?
Please help me, as its driving me a little insane today :) 

Where online did you find that method described? None of that sounds like Affinity Publisher. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Bing Chat..... I know.... don't trust too much on AI yet. 🤣
But still is it possible to add a caption, or not. 
And if so, how without having to add an extra text frame under the image.

There should (must) be a consistent and repetitive way to add captions to images?
I know I can make a picture frame, group it and make it an asset. But then when you change the aspect ration of the image, the caption gets distorted. That's not what I want.

As far as I know you still do it with an extra Text Frame, optionally Grouped with the Picture Frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, GregTh said:

when you change the aspect ration of the image, the caption gets distorted.

It just depends on your setup and your workflow. If you use a Frame Text object (not Art Text) resizing the Group does affect the Picture Frame (incl. its nested image) without affecting the font in the caption. If you do not select the Group for resizing but its nested two layers you have more options for the image and still don't resize the text.

For some automatism you can use Data Merge. This enables you to create pairs of picture + text frames and get the text frames auto-filled according to the contents of a source document. If you create this like a "contact sheet" you can use the result as source and copy/paste selected pairs of objects for use in a custom layout.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

35 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It just depends on your setup and your workflow. If you use a Frame Text object (not Art Text) resizing the Group does affect the Picture Frame (incl. its nested image) without affecting the font in the caption. If you do not select the Group for resizing but its nested two layers you have more options for the image and still don't resize the text.

For some automatism you can use Data Merge. This enables you to create pairs of picture + text frames and get the text frames auto-filled according to the contents of a source document. If you create this like a "contact sheet" you can use the result as source and copy/paste selected pairs of objects for use in a custom layout.

Thanks, let's try that.

2 hours ago, GregTh said:

I want to add a caption to a picture frame.
Shouldn't be too difficult.... I thought.

Try it in reverse

Add a text frame for the caption then pin a picture frame to the start of the text frame

moo.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 weeks later...

I also wanted to add captions to picture frames and I 'knew' that it could be done because the Help article on Constraints talks about captions in picture frames, including a screen shot showing one, but I could not find an explanation of how to add them. Pasting the caption as content into the picture frame did not work properly. But with a bit of trial and error, I think I have worked out a way to do it:

Create a picture frame / Add a picture / Create a text frame for the caption / Go to the layers panel / Drag caption layer onto Picture frame layer / Select the caption and position it exactly where you want it within the picture frame / With caption still selected, open Constraints panel to control the behaviour of the caption text frame/ Click on the vertical double-ended arrow inside the small box—it will change to a dotted arrow—to prevent the caption from stretching or compressing vertically when the picture frame is resized. (It will continue to resize horizontally with the picture frame if the horizontal arrow is kept solid.) / Click on one of the dotted lines between the inner and outer box to lock the caption to an edge of the picture frame.

In the screen shot I have locked the caption to the bottom edge of the picture frame. With these settings, the caption always remains the same height but varies its width according to how I might resize the picture frame.

screenshot_253.png.38f9fb048bc5a03c4c4d9899bd520524.png

I hope this helps for anyone who hasn't already solved this little conundrum.

Edited by Jeremy R
Typo in the word 'explanation'.

• 5 months later...

This has also occasionally happened to me after I have repositioned the text frame and I found that manually resizing it a tiny amount fixed the problem—possibly as little as 0.1 mm height or width. You could also uncheck 'Hide overflow' so that you can see how much space the text wants—the lines of text might be breaking differently than you expect, resulting in an extra line. You might be able to fix this by slightly adjusting word and letter spacing in the Justification section of the Paragraph panel.

Good luck, Jeremy

Alternatively to Jeremy R's hint: activate in the Text Frame panel the options "Ignore Text Wrap" or "Ignore Baseline Grid" to detect a possible reason for the overflow.

If this doesn't help: Does the text appear if you copy this frame and paste it on an empty page that has no master page assigned?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@Horizon3 The reason that your text doesn't show is that the  text box is BEHIND the picture (i.e. it is lower in the stack on the layers panel). If you drag it up in the layers panel to be above the picture frame, it will show. If you have the picture frame wrapping properties set to wrap, as in the video above, the text will get pushed out of the frame, and it will overflow. You can either set the wrapping property of the picture frame to "off", or set the text frame property to ignore text wraps. Ideally, you will place your text box inside the group, but above the picture itself. Then it will move with the picture frame as illustrated in the video clips. 

@Jeremy R Thank you. I did try what you say but still it give to me the problem I show. 

On 9/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, thomaso said:

Does the text appear if you copy this frame and paste it on an empty page that has no master page assigned?

Yes, @thomaso text appears if I paste frame onto empty page. This why I not know why text not show on page with image. I know I do something wrong but cannot find out what before I post my question. 

@anto always your videos are helpful. Now all works correctly. Thank you very much. 

@Greg E Thank you. Yes, all that you say is what I was doing wrong. I do what @anto's video show and all works correctly now. Thank you for explain what I do wrong. I'm not understand the problem I do and your explanation makes it clear.