You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need to get rid of the sandboxed 'app' version and get back to a standard EXE installation.  I know this is now possible, but I've been putting it off.  And now it's like a lot of things: there are so many old posts about it that you can't find the answer.

I realize it's probably simple but I don't want to screw up my system and have to fight my way back. There's probably a 'best' way to to do this.      Is there a post  giving the official steps?

• Staff

Hi @jimh12345,

The best method is to uninstall the MSIX version first, which you can do by right clicking on the shortcut for Affinity on your start menu and selecting Uninstall.  Once the MSIX version has been uninstalled, then you can install the MSI versions, which you can get by using the methods outlined in this post

My way, and bear in mind I only use Photo.

First find and copy the Workspaces folder for the msix version (you'll have to search for it), then install and run the msi version and hope it picks up your settings. Uninstall the msix version.

If the new install has not picked up your settings, copy the Workspaces folder to the location of the new Workspaces folder (again search for it) and all should be well .

If you have not customised the interface or shortcuts, you can safely uninstall the msix version and install the msi version.

Before uninstalling, I would backup the Workspaces folders. This is important if you customized the apps' various workspaces. These folders can be found here:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\.affinity\Designer\2.0\Workspaces
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\.affinity\Photo\2.0\Workspaces
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\.affinity\Publisher\2.0\Workspaces

If you have customized assets, brushes etc., then also backup the 'C:\Users\<USERNAME>\.affinity\Common\2.0\user' folder. This might be a very large folder.

It's good practice to frequently backup all these folders anyway in case of a corruption or if you need to reinstall any of the apps due to a malfunction.

After re(installation), check if your customized settings and contents are still available in the apps. If not, close the app(s), copy and paste your backups into the above folders and restart the app(s).

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Before uninstalling, I would backup the Workspaces folders.

In my experience, that data is not removed when you uninstall the MSIX versions. At least by a standard uninstall, via Windows Settings > Apps or right-clicking the application in the Start menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In my experience, that data is not removed when you uninstall the MSIX versions. At least by a standard uninstall, via Windows Settings > Apps or right-clicking the application in the Start menu.

Just a matter of safety first, Walt. Anyway, like I also said, backing up customized settings and contents is good practice. You never know when your files might get corrupted or when your system might crash.

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

When I changed from msix to msi it didn't pick up my settings. Fortunately, I had taken a copy of my Workspaces folder. Same happened when I installed the beta alongside.

2 hours ago, henryg said:

When I changed from msix to msi it didn't pick up my settings. Fortunately, I had taken a copy of my Workspaces folder. Same happened when I installed the beta alongside.

The beta never takes settings from the retail version.

The MSI did originally take settings from the MSIX, but I think that was due to a bug where the earliest MSI versions were still using %USERPROFILE%\.affinity rather than using the AppData folder structure. That bug was fixed at some point.

It should be possible to copy the folders from .affinity into the proper spot in AppData.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, henryg said:

Great, but Preferences is the wrong place IMO. It should ask on install.

I think Preferences is better, because it lets you resynchronize any time you want, without having to uninstall/reinstall again. And without having to think about it every time you update to a new level of the Beta.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I think Preferences is better, because it lets you resynchronize any time you want, without having to uninstall/reinstall again. And without having to think about it every time you update to a new level of the Beta.

But who would know it is there? You didn't and you seem to know pretty much everything (not sarcasm!).

Maybe both, but certainly it should ask on install IMO.

16 minutes ago, henryg said:

But who would know it is there? You didn't and you seem to know pretty much everything (not sarcasm!).

It wasn't there when I posted. Check the timestamps :)

-- Walt
PC: