You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request : Shrink interface

The only available option to "reduce" interface is only to hide it.

I would like to shrink the interface when I need to have more space on my work area. With just a button, all the studio windows are reduced to an icon, if you need to check the panels, just click on the icon, like on the iPad OS version.

Edited by GenewalDesign

4 hours ago, GenewalDesign said:

The only available option to "reduce" interface is only to hide it.

There is an approach you may not be aware of, given that you only mentioned hiding. You can double-click the tab at the top of a studio panel and reduce that part of the studio stack to a single line. You can then click on any panel tab to expand that section of the studio.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There is an approach you may not be aware of, given that you only mentioned hiding. You can double-click the tab at the top of a studio panel and reduce that part of the studio stack to a single line. You can then click on any panel tab to expand that section of the studio.

Yes I know about that one, but it hides only in vertical way, not horizontal.

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

If I want to do this quickly, I just hit tab. But it's not what i'm looking for : reducing the UI, not hiding it.

Another software I won't name, can do this the way I think : just click on the small double chevrons and the whole panel is reduced to icons.

UI-reduced.png

17 hours ago, GenewalDesign said:

reducing the UI, not hiding it

What is the benefit of shrinking panels versus hiding them?
It doesn't matter if the panels are reduced or hidden, you can't work with them anyway, and if you need to maximize the work space, then complete hiding is much more beneficial.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 hours ago, Pšenda said:

What is the benefit of shrinking panels versus hiding them?
It doesn't matter if the panels are reduced or hidden, you can't work with them anyway, and if you need to maximize the work space, then complete hiding is much more beneficial.

Reduced : just click on the panel you need and it will show up. You win workspace while you can still use a panel if you need it.

When it's hidden you can't work at all with it.

Clicking the icon caused a "pop-out panel" thing in PS which I always saw as useful. I can't remember when it was added, but I never used it a ton. Maybe if accessing a panel like Stroke that I may touch very little in that session. Otherwise I prefer to float my panels and/or tab them...I try to reduce wrist strain, so I try to keep my panels floating closer to my work piece so as to reduce panning and clicking to the sides (when not on pen)... unless on a laptop where the screen real estate is much less, then a pop-out panel option is much quicker.

CSP has this also, but it pops out the whole docking area, not just the panel. PS' version is a bit more compact by just popping out the panel individually iirc and leaving the actual docking area closed. CSP also allows us to double-click the panel's title bar to open and close easily. I can't remember if PS' worked this way also, but it's convenient.

4 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Clicking the icon caused a "pop-out panel" thing in PS which I always saw as useful. I can't remember when it was added, but I never used it a ton. Maybe if accessing a panel like Stroke that I may touch very little in that session. Otherwise I prefer to float my panels and/or tab them...I try to reduce wrist strain, so I try to keep my panels floating closer to my work piece so as to reduce panning and clicking to the sides (when not on pen)... unless on a laptop where the screen real estate is much less, then a pop-out panel option is much quicker.

If I remember well, it was back to CS3.

This is where the UX is well built : if you are not familiar with the panel icons, you just have to resize the column to have the name of the panel, while still having the pop-out when you need it.

20070327_illustrator_fg01a.jpg