You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry, that stood for...

Well, That's Frustrating!

I'm in a ridiculously impossible situation trying to figure out something that should've taken a few minutes.

Picture the scene...large image, needs cutting into a 4 x 4 grid, of specific pixel sizes.

Easy? Well...

1. Make the slices out of box shapes, then select the shapes and tell that size to be slices?

No, because the slice insists on exporting the shape itself, whether it's hidden or not, so I can't 'slice' the image with a shape.

2. Draw the slices over the box shapes, snapping along the way?

No, because the slice tool doesn't snap to geometry.

3. Just make the slices with the slice tool on the grid, no need for box shapes?

No, because the slices don't snap to the grid?!

So, slices are useless to me.

I now need to..

1. Make the box shapes

2. Put every box into a group

3. Hide each box within each group

4. Export each box group individually, with 'including background' selected in export options

Is this really the easiest workflow to split an image?

Without Slices being able to snap to grid, this seems the 'easiest' way right now.

Thanks

Wayne

Pretty sure I have tried both and couldn't figure out how to only export what what actually visible at the time. It always seemed to unhide the shape itself, so that I couldn't export the image below it.

I've just finished exporting by hand now, so I'll have another look into that next time I need to export a sliced image again!

Thanks ;]

Hi MEB, I've just had another go and no matter what I have either hidden or unhidden in either Draw or Export Persona, the slice will ALWAYS export the shape that it was made from, hidden or not.

Honestly, I've tried every possibility and it's just insisting on being there.

Noting that there is a different icon on the slice panel, showing whether this slice is a shape or a pixel layer. Is it assuming that because it is a shape, I will always want it included in the export?

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Any news about that?

I just have tried the software to export a 6m (20ft) long art to smaller PDF files.

I have tried with multiple artboards, but the art doesn't expand between the the artboards.

I have tried with slices, but it gives me about 1cm difference on the end of the file, I think it is due to pixel to cm imprecise conversion.

Edited by sirojuntle
language fix

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I would really like to use snapping when making slices.

I'm making a tileset for a game. I set up a custom grid matching the size of my tiles, hoping that I would easily snap to it and be able to export my tiles in a few minutes.

Seems like this is not possible?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/9/2020 at 4:24 PM, TomAn said:

Hi, I would really like to use snapping when making slices.

I'm making a tileset for a game. I set up a custom grid matching the size of my tiles, hoping that I would easily snap to it and be able to export my tiles in a few minutes.

Seems like this is not possible?

I would like to do this as well using the 2:1 triangular grid to import tiles into Unity for an isometric tileset. If this was possible it would be a game changer, I can't find any way to do this out there and I think a fair number of people could use this...

• 4 months later...

Snap grid doesn't seems to be able to snap horizontal custom markers lines (sorry don't know the english nomenclature)

This is highly expected, it kinda break the flow to have to google for such things which are expected out of the box!

THX!

2 hours ago, X-Raym said:

@KaiIt snaps horizontally (on vertical guides) but not vertically (on horizontal guide). I have all check in Snapping options.

Are you saying that a vertical guide doesn't snap to a horizontal grid line? A vertical line always crosses a horizontal one, at infinite points—what is there to snap to? Perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to do. Are you wanting it to actually snap to your cursor?

2 hours ago, X-Raym said:

none of the axis have snapping to guide line with slice tool

Okay, I understand now. You didn't mention the slice tool in your first comment, and it sounded like you were talking about snapping guide lines to the grid. I guess we just hit a language barrier.

Yes, you're right, slices don't snap to guides. Earlier in the thread, Meb confirmed that 'slices only snap to the Pixel grid'. I think everyone who has tried the slice tool would agree—you just expect this kind of basic snapping behaviour from such a tool. Affinity, in my experience, is not quick to respond to user feedback. As you can see, this was posted almost 6 years ago, and nothing has changed.