You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 Designer 2.0.4 Very slow between choosing objects. All of them.

thegary

I am working on a file ...40x72 inches. 150dpi.

Its all vector. No effects, no warps basic fonts and lines and object.

I have about 50 items in the file.

Its now taking between 3-5 seconds when I click off of one object and select another . Very annoying and not great to work on.

Way to slow . I am 10 steps ahead of this software.

Not sure what's going on .  Check this in V1, is very fast, no delay.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

150DPI on a 6 feet artwork is extremely high, I think you would get much superior performance at a fraction of this, say 72DPI or less without losing any practical print resolution. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

11 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

150DPI on a 6 feet artwork is extremely high, I think you would get much superior performance at a fraction of this, say 72DPI or less without losing any practical print resolution. 

@Paul Mudditt

150 dpi is fine on vectors... If V1 does it with out a hitch then so should V2. Its set at 150 as per printers request. Its never been a issue until now and its to do with OPEN CL as mentioned above.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

Ok , Just started another doc. 8.5 x11  300 dpi.

Lines and vectors and the more i added the slower it gets to select another object or group.

NOT GOOD.

V1 is 100% faster at this . EVEN with HUGE documents.

Gary

51 minutes ago, thegary said:

Ok , Just started another doc. 8.5 x11  300 dpi.

Lines and vectors and the more i added the slower it gets to select another object or group.

NOT GOOD.

V1 is 100% faster at this . EVEN with HUGE documents.

Gary

is it possible to upload a sample .afdesign file that has this problem?

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

1 minute ago, Paul Mudditt said:

is it possible to upload a sample .afdesign file that has this problem?

can't on this file.... Happening with all files.

Gary

49 minutes ago, thegary said:

can't on this file.... Happening with all files.

Gary

Looks like others have had similar problems with Windows, some have had success updating graphics drivers  if there is one available others disabling Open CL.

3 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Looks like others have had similar problems with Windows, some have had success updating graphics drivers  if there is one available others disabling Open CL.

I already have he newest drivers. This is a V2 thing. V1 works perfectly. Can't use V2 for work to bugging and laggy.  Wish they would fix it.

Gary

2 hours ago, thegary said:

I already have he newest drivers. This is a V2 thing. V1 works perfectly. Can't use V2 for work to bugging and laggy.  Wish they would fix it.

Gary

You don’t have anything special hooked up such as a high precision mouse that updates fast or graphics tablet ?

Edited by Paul Mudditt
Saw that you already disabled Open CL

11 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

You don’t have anything special hooked up such as a high precision mouse that updates fast or graphics tablet ?

Don't have anything hooked up , but my tablet does work fine. Its good to test if these things are affecting the performance. But really why? They are supported in V1 , why now are they an issue. Seems like something was broken under the hood in V2.

Photo has the same lag issue as designer when selecting brushes.  This has also been reporting.

At this point i have STOPPED using V2 for work. To buggy, to slow and not predictable about the outcome. Its slowing my work down and in Film i don't have the luxury of time.

V1  it is until this is fixed. I am not impressed that after 2 1/2 months of being out this is still an issue. I waited for the MSI installers as i cannot use the MSIX at work.

Thought that would buy me some time for bug fixes. But this software in my opinion is still in a BETA phase. 

V1 was much more stable at release and is still .  I purchased this back on the day it was released. Have been using since the MSI installer was released, and it seems i spend my days recording videos and posting bugs, rather that  doing work.

Will go back to V2 in 3 months when I am done my contract.  If its no better then, will make other decisions about software.

Garyh

9 minutes ago, thegary said:

@Paul Mudditt

Thank you for trying to help. Its appreciated. Its a good community.

But at this point Serif need to polish this software up.

Gary

They are, did you try installing the V2.1 beta to see if that fixed it?

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/?fbclid=IwAR3h0HnTAr73y6UGmqfhybl2ZoPrk1kOwPl4QQ95U-iXuCBBzWxBUWn62XU

11 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

No time.. I pay to use software that is working. I have a job, that doesn't include testing software.

I will let Serif test it . Hopefully they get it right.

Gary

• 1 month later...

I've been experiencing the same thing recently also on Win 10.

Very similar situation to yours - i'm working on a document that has exclusively simple vector shapes and text. I have about 40-50 tech logos (which all started as relatively simple / optimized svgs). Each logo is a group in the layers panel that contains all its vector shapes and text. Clicking in and out of these groups is EXCRUCIATINGLY slow (1-3 seconds at least for each new selection to register after a click). its getting to the point where its becoming impossible to finish the document on Affinity. Once a group is selected clicking any other item in the group is as responsive as you'd expect - but once you try to click on something that's in a different group that's when the lag starts. The program does not appear responsive during this 1-3 second wait.

I wonder if its relevant to this problem that many of these logos were pasted into affinity as markup (i.e taken directly from the source of various webpages by copying the OuterHTML text of the entire <svg></svg> element and pasting that copied text directly into AD). 

This particular document i am having problems with has only one layer - but many groups

Welp false alarm, the beta worked great for about 20 mins and then the performance started to steadily degrade. Now the selecting objects lag seems about as severe as the release version if not worse. I think maybe that's symptomatic of a memory issue yea? When the performance seems to degrade steadily the longer the application is kept open.

I've tried everything I can think of

- increasing avail ram to affinity and ensuring my system has plenty of ram to give it (i have 32gb and have been averaging less than 20% memory consumption in all these tests)
- tried turning off / on hardware acceleration
- disabling nearly all layers from snapping
- tried changing the undo history amount (*shrug*)

I'm going to reinstall version 1 and verify that this wasn't happening in that version.

Reinstalled Affinity 1.

I worked on an important project for over 2 hours without a single hiccup - performance was great. Whatever bug I was experiencing above was definitely not present in version 1. All is well. So I routinely hit CTRL-S to save. Affinity crashes. And now my document that i've put 8 hours into is corrupted and unopenable - by both ver 1 , 2 , and the beta.

I have never been more unhappy with this software than I am right now

This is the first serious project I've tried to work on since buying and installing Version 2. And this is the result. Version 2 was too slow to use. Version 1 just nuked 8 hours of work.

5 hours ago, diopside said:

Reinstalled Affinity 1.

I worked on an important project for over 2 hours without a single hiccup - performance was great. Whatever bug I was experiencing above was definitely not present in version 1. All is well. So I routinely hit CTRL-S to save. Affinity crashes. And now my document that i've put 8 hours into is corrupted and unopenable - by both ver 1 , 2 , and the beta.

I have never been more unhappy with this software than I am right now

This is the first serious project I've tried to work on since buying and installing Version 2. And this is the result. Version 2 was too slow to use. Version 1 just nuked 8 hours of work.

12 hours ago, diopside said:

Just had a minute to test the newest Beta and its giving me a MASSIVE performance improvement. I'm not noticing any lag at all anymore (yet?). I'll update here if it changes

good to hear its faster. Haven't played with the beta. I have owned V2 since launch in Nov 22 and its still not production safe.

Here is hoping 2.1 is better.

Gary

• Staff
On 2/17/2023 at 5:48 PM, thegary said:

No time.. I pay to use software that is working. I have a job, that doesn't include testing software.

I will let Serif test it . Hopefully they get it right.

That's not how customer betas work. It may work for us and other customers fine, but not for you (as @diopside shows above) If you do not try it and report back in the beta forums what you are finding then "hopefully" is all you have. Serif cannot be expected to know what you will see once we release V2.1. If you can find any time to try the beta (that installs side by side with your release build) we would appreciate your input

@diopside Sorry you found the software so disappointing recently. Please report your findings using the beta in the beta forums and hopefully we can find fix your problem or at the very least provide some cause/suggestions that will help with your workflow. The good performance becoming poor performance in a short time is not expected.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

15 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

That's not how customer betas work. It may work for us and other customers fine, but not for you (as @diopside shows above) If you do not try it and report back in the beta forums what you are finding then "hopefully" is all you have. Serif cannot be expected to know what you will see once we release V2.1. If you can find any time to try the beta (that installs side by side with your release build) we would appreciate your input

@diopside Sorry you found the software so disappointing recently. Please report your findings using the beta in the beta forums and hopefully we can find fix your problem or at the very least provide some cause/suggestions that will help with your workflow. The good performance becoming poor performance in a short time is not expected.

I am on a film production at the moment. There are 3 people in the art dept that use Affinity Designer. We are all use version 1 as v2 is crashing to giving many unexpected results. ( v2.0.4) we cannot beta test on a movie. If I have time to Beta test its between contract. If v2 crashes its also corrupting files, which is 100 percent stop use for our workplace.

Also our sign shops are having issue with PDF and EPS files coming out of v2. So we are on V1 until such time as issues are fixed.

Gary

13 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

thanks ill try to do that tonight or tomorrow

To eliminate as many potential sources of error/influence as possible ive been trying to see if i can recreate the behavior in a totally new blank project by drawing and manipulating vector shapes manually until the project is comparable detail/complexity to the one that was giving me so much trouble. So far I haven't been able to get it to lag like this. Not a very conclusive test I know but I'm wondering if the problem  might arise from imported/copy pasted vector art from other sources. When im designing i often am furiously copy-pasting vector art/markup between apps and the browser ... no telling what that svg markup could drag in :P

On 3/31/2023 at 11:11 PM, diopside said:

thanks ill try to do that tonight or tomorrow

To eliminate as many potential sources of error/influence as possible ive been trying to see if i can recreate the behavior in a totally new blank project by drawing and manipulating vector shapes manually until the project is comparable detail/complexity to the one that was giving me so much trouble. So far I haven't been able to get it to lag like this. Not a very conclusive test I know but I'm wondering if the problem  might arise from imported/copy pasted vector art from other sources. When im designing i often am furiously copy-pasting vector art/markup between apps and the browser ... no telling what that svg markup could drag in :P

copy on pasting art from other programs grinds the files to a halt. Also EPS files from ISTOCK ( we use quite a bit in film ) seem to destroy any speed Designer might have.

Gary

• Staff

Hi Gary, if possible could you provide samples of the .EPS files and the ones from ISTOCK so I can compare their behaviour in V1 to V2? You should be able to upload them to the following link.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/s5JILz8ZgCrs99QGdkDI

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

3 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Gary, if possible could you provide samples of the .EPS files and the ones from ISTOCK so I can compare their behaviour in V1 to V2? You should be able to upload them to the following link.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/s5JILz8ZgCrs99QGdkDI

Thanks
C

@Callum

Sorry i can't NDA with film. Cant share anything from it. But I would say its 75% of them.

For example i am doing a Christmas Movie at the moment. Downloaded some christmas character ( elves santa and so on. ) They were obviously created in a older version of illustrator. You can can tell by how the vector is sliced up. Either way its vector. This files stall Affinity designer. Also the other day downloaded what looks like a simple shaped vector wallpaper. Again bought designer and 1 and 2 to its knees.

If i open a graphic in Illustrator  and then copy it and paste it in designer, again, very slow.

Sorry can't share files with film projects.

Gary