You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is a recurring problem and defies replication.

When I try to drag either a horizontal or vertical guide I often get a blue box envelope. If I keep trying sometimes I get a guide line. It makes no difference if I am on the page or on the background.

I closed down AD in the hope that this would cure it and it did for a little while and then it started again.

What's going on?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I'm definitely no expert. So forgive me if I misunderstand your problem.

I believe for the guides to be drawn, you have to start from the opposite ruler.  Starting anywhere else will (if in the move tool) start a selection box.

Hopefully.  On the chance I understood your issue, this should solve it.  If not, I apologize in advance.

I have seen the same thing that jackamus is reporting from time to time, & I think it has been reported before. The best way I can describe it is the move tool doesn't always "know" it is in the ruler so dragging out from it creates a selection box instead of a guide.

It doesn't seem to matter where in the ruler the drag is started -- sometimes starting in the numbers works & in the hash mark divisions doesn't, or visa versa. And sometimes it works perfectly from either starting point for a while & then for no apparent reason it doesn't work from one or both, & then it starts working correctly again.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

RC-R perfectly describes the problem. Thanks too for your input Crabtree.

I shall report it as a bug.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I, too have experienced this phenomenon.

But I did not bother to send it in.

Why not ?

Well, after having sent in numerous obervations/questions/feature requests regarding the rulers/guids,

I've come to the conclusion that these matters do not have priority with the developers.

And that's just an observation, I really DO appreciate the tremendous efforts of the developers and

the prompt & friendly way the questions etc. are answered in this forum.

Having said that, I DO WISH though, that all out-standing matters regarding the rulers & guids would be solved in one full sweep.

Thank you....

If it happens again, try to ALT CLICK into the ruler area (followed by an undo). Perhaps this resets the issue.

BTW: The cursor of the Tools does not change in the rulers area. Some tools (like Frame Text) surprisingly work in the rulers area. Perhaps this (an “if than” thingy in wrong line of code?) is the reason for the guide issue.

I'll leave that one up to AD's geeks!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0