You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello forum folks, hoping I can get some assistance with this issue and that I'm just missing something obvious.

I'm working on a laptop (windows) and find that the majority of the UI (text, icons, etc.) is too small. Some of the fonts scale correctly to my system preferences, but most are microscopic. I have googled and it says there should be a UI font scale option or icon scale option under the User Interfaces section of the preferences menu, but I cannot see it (see attached - screenshot in designer v2).

If I can't fix this, it's really going to limit my ability to work with any of the affinity v2 apps on this device.

TL;DR: How can I scale up the UI for v2 apps on windows?

Any help appreciated.

Affinity Designer UI Too Small.png

2 hours ago, SunsetBlvd said:

I have googled and it says there should be a UI font scale option or icon scale option under the User Interfaces section of the preferences menu, but I cannot see it (see attached - screenshot in designer v2).

Welcome to the forums :)

I think the should be statement is from a lot of posts from users desiring it, not that it is actually available. As you can see there is no such setting or adjustment within the Affinity apps. Some users have changed the setting in Windows>System>Display.

windows_display.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

10 hours ago, Ron P. said:

As you can see there is no such setting or adjustment within the Affinity apps. Some users have changed the setting in Windows>System>Display.

So it seems I'm not missing something after all. This is disappointing. I already have my scaling turned up quite a bit (and system text too, not shown in screenshot) and if it gets any bigger, the rest of my general system UI will be comically large. So it seems that this is just a feature lacking in this software suite, which sucks. I may just have to not use this software suite on my laptop. Hopefully something like this can be added in a future update.

Thanks for the reply. Hoping this post can help others.

1873443453_AffinityDesignerUITooSmall2.thumb.png.13beada59e10a9932f7be16844e677ab.png

Teeny-tiny icons and fonts have been complained about for several years with no response from Affinity. The issue remains unaddressed in  Affinity 2. 

The Settings/Ease of Access/Make text bigger setting avoids the undesirable effects of scaling your entire display, but it only changes some text elements, not the icons and not text elements that are hard-coded by Affinity and that don't use the Windows system fonts. It works for me on my 24" 1920x1200 Dell monitors. I would never be able to use Affinity on a 13" laptop monitor and maybe not even on a 15" monitor.

Larger monitors are not necessarily a solution. You can find many posts in these forums from people who have purchased larger (e.g. 32") high resolution monitors and find Affinity almost unusable. The Teeny-Tiny UI problem only gets worse with age. If you stick with it, eventually you memorize where things are and what they indicate even though you can't read them comfortably and unambiguously.

See my older posts for further details:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/125603-ui-scaling/&do=findComment&comment=689223

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/74923-changing-affinity-photo-user-interface-font-size-in-windows-10/&do=findComment&comment=430003

More recent background information at

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/148867-is-there-a-way-to-make-the-ui-fonts-larger/&do=findComment&comment=831673

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/148844-the-size-off-the-menu-and-the-icons/&do=findComment&comment=831009

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/135393-scale-panel-to-bigger-size/&do=findComment&comment=748118

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/135052-tool-icon-size—need-to-enlarge/&do=findComment&comment=745313

Good luck.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

3 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

Teeny-tiny icons and fonts have been complained about for several years with no response from Affinity.

More than several years, the complaints about this started with the first release version well over five years ago.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I recently got a new pair of glasses tuned to optimize my vision at 24" which I determined to be the typical distance from my eyes to my display. Makes all the difference.

My laptop display is 17" which I find too small so I also have a 22" display. Even so, with my new glass eyes I could work off the laptop if required to do so.

If the software developers don't provide decent accessibility I have to adapt and work around it. 

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

• 9 months later...

I have the same issues. I can not read the menu text or icons on my High-Resolution monitor. No matter how I attempt to correct the situation, it does not resolve. My eyesight suffers when using this application. My vision is blurred from eye-strain. At this point, I am ready to throw my hands up in the air and return to Photoshop. To say I am extremely disappointed in Affinity is an understatement. I can work on a lower-resolution monitor, but that defeats the purpose of a high-resolution monitor when creating graphic art. Totally unacceptable. This has been going on for YEARS. Unbelievable.

20 hours ago, Catshill said:

Try using your reading glasses and move your head closer to the screen when needed.

When the iPhone 4 launched, it had connectivity issues with the antenna due to a design oversight(/regretful choice?), and Steve Jobs tried to tell people "no, the phone doesn't have a problem, you're all just holding it wrong".

For whatever reason, this very basic feature (bigger text) seems to not be a priority for Affinity. I haven't seen any evidence that they plan to address this issue (would love to be wrong though).

3 hours ago, SunsetBlvd said:

When the iPhone 4 launched, it had connectivity issues with the antenna due to a design oversight(/regretful choice?), and Steve Jobs tried to tell people "no, the phone doesn't have a problem, you're all just holding it wrong".

For whatever reason, this very basic feature (bigger text) seems to not be a priority for Affinity. I haven't seen any evidence that they plan to address this issue (would love to be wrong though).

It’s was not meant in a derogatory way. I genuinely work that way as using different strength reading glasses means I can see a lot more of my project and also focus in on specific items as required.

This is also a problem on Mac. You can go into system settings (display) and increase size of everything (scaled), which I have to do so I can see anything well and it works on everything else. However, when done the Affinity UI screen goes out of site at the bottom and you can't go down and shorten the screen.  This is even the case if you set the display to the larger scale, shorten the Affinity UI screen and then go back and enlarge it. So, I have to go back and forth with system settings when using the Affinity Apps. That is rough on my old eyes.