You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Notes" (Cheatsheet) for documents?

It just happened again, that I have to create the first edition of what will become a regular publication.
I got an extensive briefing from the client, which is the "rulebook" for my work.

It would be really handy, to have these notes available at all times inside Publisher.
There is a "Notes" panel, but that is not what I mean.

I am looking for a way to have notes "attached" to a document, but never visible in (or part of) the actual document.

Right now, I am just inserting an extra page at the end and place the notes there. It is not a perfect solution though.
Is there a better way to do this?

Notes are a much requested feature but notes doesn't exist... yet!

you mean like indesign has? https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-how-to-use-notes-and-add-comments-to-indesign-cs5-documents--vector-4681

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just had a look at the Beta's and there is no "note" sorry couldn't help myself on adding a Notes feature.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Also...

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Just had a look at the Beta's

There are no active betas at the moment, so no reason to look at them.

The next beta would be for 2.0.5 or 2.1.0, whenever it arrives.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/2/2023 at 7:45 AM, LostInTranslation said:

I am looking for a way to have notes "attached" to a document, but never visible in (or part of) the actual document.

Right now, I am just inserting an extra page at the end and place the notes there. It is not a perfect solution though.
Is there a better way to do this?

As a workaround to notes or alternative to extra pages you could place your note in a text frame in the workspace area (left / right of your pages).
To make it visible for every spread you place it on a master page which gets applied to all wanted pages. Unfortunately, as master object it will appear by APub's default at the bottom of the layers hierarchy on every page.

An even more limited workaround would be the "Preflight Comment". It gets added to a specific object (e.g. a page number / on a master page). It displays only 3 lines of its containing text and requires the arrow keys to scroll because of lacking scrollbars and being a not resizable panel.

541528746_Apubpreflightcommentnotes.jpg.f215438bed32023b29b82ba27c53b917.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

An even more limited workaround would be the "Preflight Comment". It gets added to a specific object (e.g. a page number / on a master page). It displays only 3 lines of its containing text and requires the arrow keys to scroll because of lacking scrollbars and being a not resizable panel.

You can get a fourth line of text with the Default font size and see 14 lines in the Preflight panel. If you make the panel wider you can see a lot of text.

But line breaks will be removed when creating comments like this so you'll have one big paragraph of unformatted text.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

10 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

I got an extensive briefing from the client, which is the "rulebook" for my work.

It would be really handy, to have these notes available at all times inside Publisher.

I would just use a Master Page named Notes or Rulebook and paste/place the notes into that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

22 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

You can get a fourth line of text with the Default font size and see 14 lines in the Preflight panel. If you make the panel wider you can see a lot of text.

But line breaks will be removed when creating comments like this so you'll have one big paragraph of unformatted text.

I said "even more limited" because in fact is hardly useful for a client's briefing summary.

But your hints made me curious: Do you have a way to change the font size in the Comment panel?
And, widening the Preflight panel doesn't do anything useful to me:

334932464_Apubpreflightcommentnotes2.jpg.2933b85c132f5668791777f992ab0368.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

But your hints made me curious: Do you have a way to change the font size in the Comment panel?
And, widening the Preflight panel doesn't do anything useful to me:

The Mac version offers a large UI font size option. With it set to Large I can see 3 lines in the Comment dialog but 4 lines with the Default size.

With regard to widening preflight, that must be a difference between Mac and Windows - here's a ridiculously long comment. This isn't new in v2.

156880568_Screenshot2023-02-02at6_41_42PM.thumb.png.c4b96966cbfb6e629908ffe1d7495f3a.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

19 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I would just use a Master Page named Notes or Rulebook and paste/place the notes into that.

This is exactly what I ended up with and for my purposes, it works well enough.
Since I obviously don't use this master in the document, I don't have to worry about it being printed and still it's always at hand.