You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparency used in vectors in Publisher will not output to PDFs

When exporting to PDF from Publisher vector object groups with transparency added using "Transparency tool" will not be executed.

I tested which persona I added transparency in to see if this was an issue, but it appears that the file fails on both.

There's a workaround it would appear - open the file in Designer and export as PDF from there.

Cannot work out a logic to this, all PDF settings the same in both apps.

Files attached. Original publisher and its PDF output, saved in Designer file and its PDF output.

In addition after a good PDF from Designer I tried the reverse and opened the .afdesign file back into Publisher. No improvement on the results of the PDF save from there. All looks right on screen, output however is a fail. I haven't got time today to try other objects text etc to find out all the fails, but please look into this.

1 - Transparency PDF test - Publlisher.afpub 2 - Transparency PDF test - Publisher.pdf 3 - Transparency PDF test - Designer.afdesign 4 - Transparency PDF test - Designer.pdf 5 – Transparency PDF test - Designer - back to publisher.pdf

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

UPDATE: I have discovered that if you change the layer transparency of affected groups to "Normal" from "Passthrough" Publisher then will write the PDF correctly (Makes no difference to appearance on screen). Something is clearly still wrong here somewhere though – when you open the original file in Designer the layers are still flagged as "Passthrough" and PDF Designer writes is fine and remains so if they are changed to "Normal".

So Publisher issues with Passthrough layer settings?

3 hours ago, Like, would like more if… said:

Original publisher and its PDF output, saved in Designer file and its PDF output.

Your PDF export is RGB.
Which presets were you using?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

31 minutes ago, loukash said:

Your PDF export is RGB.
Which presets were you using?

PDF (digital - high quality)

Standard Affinity setting unaltered – I tend to optimize in Acrobat for size and opening settings etc after output. Setting is RGB as it is screen targeted. Although you've probably noticed that in my hastily composed test I have built a CMYK document. This however shouldn't affect anything on output apart from dulling the screen experience. The original file that I can't share is RGB to RGB PDF and was experiencing all the same issues. Peculiarly now when I go back to this test file it crashes Publisher on load - Designer version again, no such issue (also CMYK as just Designer opening Publisher original).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Like, would like more if…,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I have tested using your files in V2.0.4 on both macOS and Windows, and when exporting either the .afpub file or the .afdesign file using PDF (Digital - Hiqh Quality) the produced file from both apps contains all layers, with the transparency applied.

Can you please confirm for me, does this issue still occur for you in this latest update? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Sorry been too busy to get back and test, but unfortunately nothing has changed. Attached a screenshot which shows the difference between the Publisher output and the matching set of Publisher, Designer and Designer PDF files, and highlights the transparency error in the Publisher output. Interested to know if you are replicating this or if your Publisher output is correct.

Thanks

Side by side.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear this! I have tried exporting once again, using PDF (digital - high quality) preset, the left hand PDF is from Publisher and the right from Designer - 

image.png

Note, the shutterstock image appears slightly blurry in my export as it is a 'Missing resource', but the transparency is correctly applied.

Just to ensure I'm not missing something with the export options from Publisher, can you please provide a screenshot showing the options that are selected for you when choosing this preset? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Preset is unmolested and preview is correct. However output remains solid.

FURTHER TESTING: One of my colleagues who has the same Mac Studio set up as myself has tested this out and also has access to Windows 11. Results from Windows are perfect, results from Mac echoed mine, so this is a mac issue. I presume also that it is related not to the PDF export (as that works in Designer and I would imagine the same) but rather to the execution of "Passthrough" on layers in Publisher for Mac(?)

(See original update to post on January 30)

image.thumb.png.c079e706ea5ff555b1610f9d3817aff1.png

Edited by Like, would like more if…
Further information added

• Staff

Thanks for providing that and my apologies for the delays once again - the only difference I can discern is that the .afphoto file is 'missing' when I'm exporting the file in both apps. Are you able to attach a copy of this linked file (Sample headshot.afphoto) here for me? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for providing that, on macOS my results can be seen below, left is Publisher, right is Designer - both of which continue to export the transparency as expected.

image.png

Can you please try exporting the file using the PDF (for export) preset in both apps and let me know if this works correctly? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

I have been doing nothing but try to make this happen correctly on my mac all day, resetting user defaults, forcing PDF export settings overwrites by creating and deleting presets etc (which was why I asked a colleague to try it). No amount of changes (except to Passthrough/Normal layer settings) will produce the desired/your result from my mac, or his.

Attached his two output tests: Windows left - Mac right

I can now confirm that this is echoed in Photo 2 also. Group layers require switching from Passthrough to Normal to get expected result.  So seems that Publisher and Photo both fail where Designer seems to be correct.

70461465_Screenshot2023-02-13at15_39_16.thumb.png.b384d5a79a854ebf9bce2fbc776e8e50.png

Edited by Like, would like more if…
Photo 2 info update added

Further to… a very simple file demonstrating the Windows Mac difference supplied by my colleague.

image.thumb.png.3dcbb1e32586705a6fb9440c2aff9fd6.png

Transparency bug Mac bad.pdf Transparency bug Win11 good.pdf Transparency bug.afpub

I can confirm on my M1 Mac mini to get the "bad" result, using default PDF export settings, prom Publisher.

2 hours ago, Like, would like more if… said:

Further to… a very simple file demonstrating the Windows Mac difference supplied by my colleague.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Many thanks for the further file and your continued patience here!

I believe I have been able to pinpoint the cause of this, as it seems to only occur with M1/M2 devices that have been updated to macOS Ventura, hence I was not seeing this issue on an M1 mac running Big Sur or Monterey, or on my Intel mac running Ventura.

I will be getting this logged with our development team for you now, thanks for your report :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I've updated the development log regarding this issue and 'bumped' it with our team, to bring it to their attention once again.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 7 months later...

This is still a major issue on my M1 mac. Hadn't really noticed until working on a more complex illustration where I have chosen to use 3d on lines with shadows, and colour and gradient overlays to make repurposing objects easy by just changing under laying colour. Having just tried to render a PDF I discover that none of this renders at all… or if it does its transparency fails throughout. Shadows end up as grey brush strokes criss crossing with no transparency, all subtlety lost. Colour & gradient overlays disappear.

Why has this not been fixed… everyone here relies on PDFs to share and print files.

THIS IS A MAJOR ISSUE.

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here - I can confirm this issue is still logged with our development team at this time.

I will be sure to bring this to our teams attention once again and request that it is resolved as soon as possible.

Our apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this in the meantime!

Please note -

Many thanks!