You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Essential Features Request for Affinity Designer

Hi there! When do you plan to add this features?

Text Tools

• Text Frame Link Feature like in InDesign & Affinity Publisher. A lot of people requested this before. I use it daily.

• Text Search & Replace (Ctrl-F, Cmd-F)

• Table Text Tool /w Styles

• Pattern Tool or at least some form of Cloner like in Cinema 4D.

Warp Fix

• These tool bounding box must be auto-fit to contents dimensions, when i change the latter now i have to re-create the warp again

'cause it's not fit. What's the point in that? Making Text Object a child to Warp Container isn't a good UX, it hides the object i really need - text tool. It's better to make it in reverse - Warp to become child object or put Warp as an effect in Effects tab.

Seriously, guys, you should have done this a long time before developing apps for iPad... etc.

Warp tool looks fine for me as it is. I can easily put several objects, groups and eve layers into the warp group and get them distorted in a non-destructive way! Yes, it would be nice to have the ability to transform the warp mesh alone without its content though.

2 hours ago, Gaal Dornik said:

When do you plan to add this features?

Just so you know: Serif does not answer that kind of question.

Text Frame Link Feature like in InDesign & Affinity Publisher. A lot of people requested this before. I use it daily.

I'm not sure what you mean. It already exists in Publisher, as you mentioned. Are you asking for it in Designer and Photo? If so, in my opinion that is unlikely to happen, though you're free to ask for it, of course. I think that Serif's opinion is that if you need a text function Ike that you should use Publisher.

Text Search & Replace (Ctrl-F, Cmd-F)

Table Text Tool /w Styles

Both of those also exist in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Just so you know: Serif does not answer that kind of question.

I'm not sure what you mean. It already exists in Publisher, as you mentioned. Are you asking for it in Designer and Photo? If so, in my opinion that is unlikely to happen, though you're free to ask for it, of course. I think that Serif's opinion is that if you need a text function Ike that you should use Publisher.

Both of those also exist in Publisher.

I was talking about the Designer. Corrected the topic.

19 minutes ago, Gaal Dornik said:

I was talking about the Designer.

Since APublisher is intended for more serious work with text (in which the mentioned Search & Replace functions are really essential), we can only recommend Edit In Publisher... for quick switching, searching and editing texts, and Edit in Designer... for switching back. Alternatively, work directly in APublisher, and use the capabilities of ADesigner using StudioLink and Persona Designer.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

17 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

we can only recommend Edit In Publisher

We... 7.286.

Not every person invested in all apps and the absurd switch app to do this and that.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

1 hour ago, François R said:

Not every person invested in all apps and the absurd switch app to do this and that.

Especially with V2 you should get all 3, in my opinion. The Universal license is a good deal.

In any case, if you have both Designer and Publisher, you can do everything in Publisher except functions from Designer's Pixel and Export Personas. If you also have Photo, you have all the functions in Publisher that you'd get in the Pixel Persona in Designer, too, I think.

So you don't need to switch back and forth to do this and that. You can largely stay in Publisher and only switch to Designer for the Export Persona.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, François R said:

Maybe not, but maybe yes - I don't see why you feel the need to speak for other users. It is up to them if, while waiting for the implementation of the desired function (when and if it will be implemented, it is completely up to Serif), they will use the switch to an application that can perform the required function without any problem.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Since Serif sell these apps as separate products, the chance AD will get kinda similar functionality is highly unlikely.

Just for myself i can say that i'd prefer a single app that does the job instead of several ones. I'd even bought it double priced no doubt.

Plus i have already a license for AD 1.X and the perspective to buy another one just to fill a gap of couple tools is not seem bright enough for me...

Sure to get the job done faster i'll buy it eventually, but honestly i don't think AD 2.X worth the money compared to AD 1.X. One more license for the same app, but with the warp tool... Nah...

9 minutes ago, Gaal Dornik said:

Just to clarify things - to use AD tab in AP i need to buy two licenses - one for AD and one for AP, right?

Yes, to use the Designer Persona within Publisher you need licenses for both. That can be two individual licenses, or with V2 a single Universal license which at the moment costs about the same as 2.4 individual desktop licenses (last time I checked) and covers all 3 applications on all 3 OSes. And it's 40% off for the next 12 days or so.

Affinity has partitioned the functionality to give 3 applications, one primarily for Photo editing, one primarily for Vector work, and one primarily for Publishing and other documents that have stronger Text requirements. If your need for Text is strong enough, then I think the approach Serif would suggest is that you add Publisher to your application mix. I do not think they intend to add those other text functions into Designer. If they were planning to do so I think they'd have done it with the introduction of V2. (But that's just my guess as a user.)

By the way: AP is Affinity Photo. I assumed you meant Publisher, which is APu or APub if you need to abbreviate it.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

By the way: AP is Affinity Photo. I assumed you meant Publisher, which is APu or APub if you need to abbreviate it.

Just to add, try hovering over the shortcut.
image.png

3 hours ago, Gaal Dornik said:

Just to clarify things - to use AD tab in AP i need to buy two licenses - one for AD and one for AP, right?

Yes, and that's why, as walt wrote, the current discounted multi-license offer is so advantageous. By purchasing all three applications, you can easily use features from APhoto and ADesigner in APublisher by simply switching personas.

3 hours ago, Gaal Dornik said:

Since Serif sell these apps as separate products, the chance AD will get kinda similar functionality is highly unlikely.

I'm glad you understood my post correctly. Of course, it cannot be ruled out in the future - Serif has already ported several functions from one application to another, but it will certainly not be a high priority (when the desired functionality can be replaced so easily), and therefore it is not worth waiting for them.

Edited by Pšenda