You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF PHOTO v2 - Tools - previewing tool size

ButchZ

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not in the latest version of AF PHOTO v2

In my example image, the tool didn't show up on the image, not the bug

But in v1. I select the selection tool, even with the paintbrush tool, and say enlarge the size of the tool to 36 from size 10, on the image, the marquee would show the tool size before using so I could visibly see if it would be the right size.

Now, in v2, I am blindly using the tool because the marquee doesn't show up, in any change of size and this would also help in my starting point.
I don't see any marquee to even get start and just hope I'm far enough away from the image to start making my selection or painting.  It also does it with the inpainting tool too.
So, I'm just going to say it's all the tools.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, or a change within the software, that I have to go into preferences to show the marquee when selecting a tool

Im not an expert, so Im not even sure what it is called to do a search for previous reports if anybody is having the same issue but It is very frustrating to edit an image and not knowing where your starting point is and visible size to know if I need to make the tool smaller or bigger

In my example image, I have the selection tool selected and a tiny cross displays.  It didnt on print screen so I have to edit to show approx what I see

AFFINITY EXAMPLE.jpg

Perhaps you have the Caps Lock key enabled?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps you have the Caps Lock key enabled?

Yup, that new option is starting to get annoying

I'm thinking about prising the Caps Lock key off my keyboard

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, footeg said:

However, as Walt says this doesn't work if Caps Lock is on.

You're still supposed to see the sizing circle while using the brackets, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, footeg said:

Incidentally, I get the same effect in Affinity V!

Strange, it was not implemented in V1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You're still supposed to see the sizing circle while using the brackets, I think.

Does not work like that here. Hopefully it's a bug

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I instead absolutely love the caps lock feature present in Affinity v2 (I think can't be done in v1.10.6, sadly), it's a life saver. As I can't (well, still I do as for some projects Photo is more convenient than a specialized painting tool) really stand a long session with the distracting big brush circle while I am painting (instead of just when resizing). So, in the wait (or not) of alternative cursors in preferences, the caps lock trick is an ok thing to have (not enjoyable but at least functional). Even more, I set in preferences to have always the crosshairs on (btw, I wouldn't cal it "tiny" (at least in 1080p), as someone said, I would  be happy with no need of extra cursors if it were tiny) , as when not using my screen-tablet, but  the intuos pen-tablet on my desktop (99% of the time), and because some brushes will have (in every app) a very large circle/outline size even if you are just inking 16 pixels lines (due to the pressure sensitivity applied to brush size), without the crosshairs, or any sort of visual clue of where the cursor really is, with a pen-tablet (which a lot of us prefer to display tablets), would be specially terrible for line-art, inking, and in anything painting. 

I believe you can disable caps lock in Windows, though (but I wouldn't recommend it).

I always substitute the brackets for other keys (long story)  and set it in my wacom panel to be the the Wacom tablet disc to call those two keys. With the speed of the  Wacom's disk set to the lowest (much more precision, so), it's a quality of life kind of change, once I got used to it (2x more productivity). I always have the  hand on the disc, as I change the size constantly, as I paint.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

On 12/11/2022 at 10:27 AM, walt.farrell said:

yeah, who would of thunk that

I will have to check but the net reply that in v1 it wasnt that way

just seems very weird