You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is there a more intuitive way to rotate canvas?

13 minutes ago, rorque said:

preferences->shortcuts->view->rotate left/right

That only rotates the view of the canvas, not the canvas itself; and as been mentioned, it only does that in fixed, 15° increments, not by some arbitrary amount.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That only rotates the view of the canvas, not the canvas itself; and as been mentioned, it only does that in fixed, 15° increments, not by some arbitrary amount.

rotating every 15 degrees is much more convenient for me than what photoshop offers. As for the fact that it rotates it's "only" a view, not canvas itself, I can't imagine why someone would need to rotate the whole canvas physically, from a keyboard shortcut and by any angle. Usually rotating the workspace is needed when you're drawing something at an awkward angle and need to have a nice line, or see something on different angle. 

I will add something to this discussion.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the author of the topic. I too find the Affinity package inconvenient to use in some ways and should learn from the competition.

On the one hand, there are people for whom the existing solutions are sufficient and see no reason to introduce changes. On the other hand, there are people like me who would like to work better, faster, more comfortably and are not afraid of change. Personally, I see no reason to discriminate against one or the other group. If there is such a need, then why not implement the appropriate function and give everyone the opportunity to choose.
Why should only people with touch tablets be privileged?
There is a smooth zooming and panning of the working area.
[Space]+[Ctrl]+(draw horizontally) = smooth zoom
[RPB]+(move pen) = move canvas
Why not do something similar with rotation?
My navigation suggestion.
[Space]+[Ctrl]+(draw horizontally) = smooth rotation right/left
[Space]+[Ctrl]+(draw vertically) = smooth zoom in/out
[RPB]+(move pen) = move canvas

After thinking about the subject, I come to the conclusion that my proposal of zooming and rotating under the same keys can cause problems when accidentally the image starts rotating instead of zooming and vice versa.

Here is my second suggestion
[Space]+(pen movement) = move the view freely
[Space]+[RightPenButton]+(Pen move vertically) = free view zoom
[Space]+[leftPenButton]+(horizontal pen movement) = freely rotate the view
[Space]+[Ctrl]+[RightPenButton]+(pen move vertically) = zoom in by predefined value in the tool
[Space]+[Ctrl]+[leftPenButton]+(horizontal pen movement) = rotate the view by a predefined value in the tool
[Space]+[Shift]+(Horizontal/Vertical pen movement) = Horizontal/Vertical view flip.

Or maybe such a proposal?
[Space]+[Touch Canvas] - (or other key combination)
Such a sequence would trigger the appropriate rotate tool.
At the point of touch, there would be a point with the horizon line, with respect to which the rotation would take place. Further movement around the point would rotate the view, and the tool would simultaneously display the rotation angle relative to the horizon. With [Ctrl] pressed, the rotation would take place by previously defined units.

Of course, these are only initial suggestions and require some thought and checking that they will not interfere with other functions.
It can also be one multi-tool that zooms, rotates, pans, etc.

11 hours ago, Asyrel said:

since the npc's in this discussion dont understand what a rotation tool should do i will link a video for you npc's to see what an actual rotation tool is suppose to do 

Photoshop Rotation
Clip Studio Rotation
Krita
Corel paint essentials 
sketchbook pro
GIMP Even the shittiest software has a rotate tool

I dont understand how this is rocket science for you guys, I'm turning off notifications. if this doesn't get you guys to understand what a rotation tool or keybind should do i truly have no hope for the human race. I am now turning off notifications if you don't get it by now please go do something more productive with your life...

A thousand thanks! Please, come back more often. We desperately need your help, knowledge, patience, willingness, and your beautiful spirit.

3 hours ago, ARTurek said:

why not implement the appropriate function and give everyone the opportunity to choose

Probably because Serif is a small team with limited resources (they are still hiring!). They have to set priorities, that's why we're still eagerly waiting for many other often requested features. And that's why many less essential functions may need to wait for a bit longer. That's just my "half-educated" guess…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

For me mimicing the handling of a physical paper and pen with keyboard shortcuts in digital painting was something I never felt comfortable with (in any software). In the end I bought a remote controller device with physical nobs and rotating wheels. Now that I got used to it and the muscle memory catched up, I like painting a mask a lot more than before.

controller.png.99f18bddf1daa253c772453f4eac7310.png

controller2.png.c86b97328b785bfc316af023cdafd1a4.png

I only wish (and of course wrote feature requests long ago) Flow, Opacity and Hardness would get keyboard shortcuts. If I had to decide between "configurable degree value for canvas rotation" and "Flow, Opacity, Hardness" I would choose the latter ones. Maybe it is time to write the feature request again - this time for version 2 😉

Edited by cgidesign
added hardness

48 minutes ago, loukash said:

Probably because Serif is a small team with limited resources (they are still hiring!). They have to set priorities, that's why we're still eagerly waiting for many other often requested features. And that's why many less essential functions may need to wait for a bit longer. That's just my "half-educated" guess…

Let's hope the wow factor won't always be a priority. In my opinion, even the best tools are useless if they cannot be used in an easy and intuitive way.
You can compare it to a hammer without a handle. Not a big deal, but there is a difference. I would say the same about some seemingly unimportant features in various apps.

Hm. I wouldn't seriously compare the "rotate canvas" function to a missing handle of a hammer.
Heck, I, for one, was able to do design work with a Wacom tablet and without a "rotate canvas" function literally for decades. Even though I sometimes wished it were there.

(That said though, I still prefer to do my illustrations by hand on paper, with a 3B pencil and Jaxon oil pastels. I need to feel the greasy pastels on my fingertips! :D It's part of the process that no software can emulate!)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

(That said though, I still prefer to do my illustrations by hand on paper, with a 3B pencil and Jaxon oil pastels. I need to feel the greasy pastels on my fingertips! :D It's part of the process that no software can emulate!)

I agree 100% with your opinion. Unfortunately, I don't always have the opportunity to play in real life 😟

I can also rotate the tablet and already the rotate function is ready 😁 However, I don't do that because it's easier to rotate a sheet of paper than an entire easel.
I somehow manage with what is available in Affinity. I don't even think about returning the software due to the lack of this or that. I'm just expressing my opinion and presenting a need. I think it's worth talking about such things so that the creators of Affinity know the needs of users. If we don't write about it on the forum, how will they know what we need?
By the way, the whole Serif team is doing a great job and has my great appreciation.

7 hours ago, ARTurek said:

I think it's worth talking about such things so that the creators of Affinity know the needs of users

Of course, that's what the forum is here for. :) 

10 hours ago, loukash said:

True, although this seems it would potentially fit in the very low hanging fruit category.  Easy to implement and provides nice user satisfaction.

Not being able to rotate the canvas with just two fingers on my touch screen means I will never use any of these programs (V2) for sketching or painting. (Two-finger zoom works just fine, though.) I guess I'll have to stick to Krita for that. I guess I'll use Designer 2 for mostly vector stuff, and Photo 2 for mostly photography stuff. I'm fine with doing my initial drafts in Krita, then bringing that offer to Designer 2 to generate final vector renderings. Kinda like when others sketch on paper then import a scan to do final vector work.

14 hours ago, Grant Robertson said:

Not being able to rotate the canvas with just two fingers on my touch screen.....

If you have touch on the tablet then you can rotate. Just remember to always start by right-clicking the pen [RPB]. This way you mark the pivot point of the view. Without this action, the rotation will be unpredictable or will not work at all.

[RPB].[Ctrl]+[Alt]+[2 Fingers (Vertical)] = Rotate 10° Left/Right
[RPB].[Alt]+[2 Fingers (Vertical)] = Rotate 1° Left/Right

[RPB].[2 Fingers (Vertical)] = Pan (Up/Down)
[RPB]/[2 fingers (horizontal movement)] = panorama view (left/right)

[RPB].[2finger(remove fingers)] = zoom in view
[RPB].[2 Fingers (Zoom)] = Zoom out