You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MSIX installator for Windows

Hi Affinity.

Have You any plans to develop exe installer for Your apps? The msix installer isntall app in C:\Program  Files\WindowsApps\ dir, but my C drive is small and intended only for Windows. I want to install Affinity apps on D drive, but in msix I cant change path. Exe allows this.

• Staff

Hi Szczemp,

At this point in time we are only offering an MSIX, you should be able to change the install location of the app post install using the steps described in the below FAQ
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/167827-is-it-possible-to-change-the-installation-path-when-installing-affinity-v2/

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

You should also be able to change pre-install (though I haven't tried it). Settings > System > Storage has a setting to control where new content is installed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I should not have to jump through ANY hoops to install a program where I want to install it. I have partitions for a reason. I don't spend the time doing it for giggles. If you cannot offer a way to change install path during install, this is a non-starter for me. NO product is that good. I am sorry, but what were you thinking? Not everyone using the software is a potato. End of rant. Refund request inbound. I have already deleted the downloaded .msix files. Never installed them.

Edited by thump257

So I have a solution to anyone else having issues with this weird .msix file. Honestly dunno why they decided to not make it a basic .exe

Open the .msix file in any zip program (I used 7zip)

Drag and drop all the files into a folder where you want it installed. Once that's done just open the .exe and sign in normally.

Hope this helps others

unzipping is all neat at first until you want to use the studio link solution. (quickly pushing your file to APhoto<>Designer<>Publisher
and of course trying to use the Personas of Publisher.
Resources you downloaded in program x now need to be again downloaded for each program.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

5 minutes ago, myclay said:

unzipping is all neat at first until you want to use the studio link solution. (quickly pushing your file to APhoto<>Designer<>Publisher
and of course trying to use the Personas of Publisher.
Resources you downloaded in program x now need to be again downloaded for each program.

It is the only way I can get these programs to work. double clicking on the msix just asks me what I want to open it with

Having wasted 30-45 minutes searching Affinity help and Google with no joy whatsoever, I've now given up trying to install 'Affinity Photo 2' and requested my money back.

This new .MSIX installation sucks! Affinity team PLEASE go back to .zip and .exe installations, they've worked since Windows was invented so 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Have you disabled the Windows Store via registry or Group Policy?

thx that helped. Got it installed properly. Problem now is I can only open it from the start menu. If I go to where the actual program is installed the designer.exe has a lock icon on it and when I click on it I get a pop up saying "windows cannot access the specified device,path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item." So I can't add an icon to my task bar

17 minutes ago, graphicbreeze said:

thx that helped. Got it installed properly. Problem now is I can only open it from the start menu. If I go to where the actual program is installed the designer.exe has a lock icon on it and when I click on it I get a pop up saying "windows cannot access the specified device,path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item." So I can't add an icon to my task bar

Thanks for the update. To pin to taskbar you can launch the app then right click the taskbar icon and choose pin to taskbar, or, find it in the start menu first and pin from there. 

For me the installation of the MSIX packages work and I can open the apps, but as soon as I try to open a file in designer, photo or publisher, the apps keep crashing without any error. And when I try to open the apps again, their icon in the start menu becomes grayed out and Windows tells me to reinstall them, but that didn’t solve the problem. I also tried to deactivate OpenCL in the settings, and when I load an image in Photo it gets at least displayed for one second, but then the app crashes with the same behavior as before. I use Windows 10 Pro, Version: 22H2, Build: 19045.2251.

Interestingly, when I use the unzip method; the apps work fine, even with OpenCL. But this can be only a temporary solution, as it doesn’t provide the registration of the file extensions, and I guess all the other features the MSIX is supposed to give us. So I assume this whole MSIX/WindowsApps thing is messing up something.

The translation of the Windows error: "There is a problem with Affinity Photo 2. Reinstall the application from the original installation directory or contact your administrator."

Affinity Photo Start Menu Icon Before.png

Affinity Photo Start Menu Icon After.png

Affinity Photo Error.png