You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't see cell numbers and letters in tables

Herojas93

The table formatting controls are appearing fine for me but I've been customizing my Preferences this morning so maybe one of those changes impacted this.

Try going to Preferences > User Interface and changing the Font UI Size from default to large and then switch it back. Then try editing a table again to see if the formatting controls appear. If that doesn't work, try toggling UI Style or Icon Style.

115311793_Screenshot2022-11-09at11_39_06AM.thumb.png.74f4d33734ac63a8938b6b954cca0c57.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff
2 hours ago, Herojas93 said:

Publisher not showing numbers and letters of the cells.

I can't seem to replicate this issue.  But i've seen another report of this here on the Forums, so something must be up.  Could you attach an afpub file thats in that state for you and i'll see if i get the issue then.

17 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

The table formatting controls are appearing fine for me but I've been customizing my Preferences this morning so maybe one of those changes impacted this.

Try going to Preferences > User Interface and changing the Font UI Size from default to large and then switch it back. Then try editing a table again to see if the formatting controls appear. If that doesn't work, try toggling UI Style or Icon Style.

115311793_Screenshot2022-11-09at11_39_06AM.thumb.png.74f4d33734ac63a8938b6b954cca0c57.png

Thank you, this worked for me!

2 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

That worked but when I quit the program and start it again I have to do the same all over again. That's not right... Must be a bug...

Agreed. I'm glad it worked for you both so at least you can get work done. I don't have to do this when restarting so it's odd that you have to do it again. I've tried it with creating a new table and opening v1 and v2 docs with tables.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

That worked but when I quit the program and start it again I have to do the same all over again. That's not right... Must be a bug...

I also can't replicate this using the file you posted in your thread.  I've created a table in V1, saved it and can work on it without issue in V2.  I've also had someone else on Tech try this and it also worked for them.  I'm also on a M1 MacBook running MacOS 13.  

14 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I don't have to do this when restarting so it's odd that you have to do it again. I've tried it with creating a new table and opening v1 and v2 docs with tables.

I've not had to do this at all, the tables have just worked for myself and another member of Tech, but clearly there is something happening here.  I'll poke it some more and see if i can find out what i'm missing.

3 minutes ago, stokerg said:

I also can't replicate this using the file you posted in your thread.

Earlier I was able to reproduce the issue consistently by selecting the table tool and dragging on a document to create a table, even with a brand new document where nothing else had been done prior to that.

I quit and restarted Publisher and the issue disappeared.

There must be some combination of actions I had done prior to testing that which left Publisher in a bad state that resulted in this behavior, but unfortunately, I have no idea what that might have been.

In my case this was on a Mac Studio running macOS 12.6.

MikeTO was kind enough to point me to this solution as I was having the same issue. So that issues have the information one place, I can report that the fix of toggling the UI font size worked for me, but like Steaming T, above, the fix only lasts until I close the application. Upon opening it again, the bars are gone and I have to toggle the settings again to cause them to return.

I have tried saving various settings, as well as adjusting other settings that force a restart, in the hope that such action would make this fix 'stick', but nothing has done so.

• Staff

@Steaming T,

Can you try starting Affinity from Applications while holding down the Control key and you'll get a popup asking if you'd like to clear some settings, 3 options will be selected and you can just click on Clear.  Affinity should then start as normal, can you now see if you can replicate the table problem.

So far we haven't been able to replicate this at all here on our side, but we will keep trying.

11 minutes ago, stokerg said:

@Steaming T,

Can you try starting Affinity from Applications while holding down the Control key and you'll get a popup asking if you'd like to clear some settings, 3 options will be selected and you can just click on Clear.  Affinity should then start as normal, can you now see if you can replicate the table problem.

So far we haven't been able to replicate this at all here on our side, but we will keep trying.

This doesn't solve the issue for me. It has however highlighted some other strange activity.

If I close Publisher (red dot in the corner) with a document open, then reopen it from the dock (on Mac), it opens as a blank project (as I'd expect), though the pages view panel down the left still shows the thumbnails of the pages from the doc that was open before I closed it. If I click any of these pages though, the whole thing freezes and eventually times out, forcing me to force quit in order to use it again. If I instead just go to recent and open a project from there, it opens up normally (no table bars still though).

1 hour ago, SubTric said:

This doesn't solve the issue for me. It has however highlighted some other strange activity.

If I close Publisher (red dot in the corner) with a document open, then reopen it from the dock (on Mac), it opens as a blank project (as I'd expect), though the pages view panel down the left still shows the thumbnails of the pages from the doc that was open before I closed it. If I click any of these pages though, the whole thing freezes and eventually times out, forcing me to force quit in order to use it again. If I instead just go to recent and open a project from there, it opens up normally (no table bars still though).

I've duplicated this problem. Note that clicking the red button closes the user interface but doesn't quit Publisher, you'll notice the menu bar is still active. 

The steps to trigger the bug are:

1. Open Publisher 2 and show the Pages panel
  2. Open a saved document
  3. Click the red close button in the toolbar
  4. Click Publisher 2 in the macOS dock - the UI will reappear and the Pages panel will show the pages for the document which has been closed
  5. If you try to interact with the Pages panel's thumbnails it will lock up and you'll have to force quit. If you click the Add Pages icon you'll get a blank dialog (see screenshot)

Other panels like Layers also reflect the closed document but interacting with them doesn't cause a problem. The workaround is not to touch those thumbnails. Open or create another document or expand/collapse the master pages or pages sections of the Pages panel to clear the thumbnails and then you'll be safe.

849091338_Screenshot2022-11-10at12_03_25PM.thumb.png.2440cca151ba4200c026cdb9c865e8f6.png

• Staff

Hi @SubTric,

17 hours ago, SubTric said:

Yup that locks my Mac up as well. i'll get this logged with the Dev team.  

I'm still struggling to replicate the table issue but there have been a few more reports of it, so there is clearly something going on.  It's just finding the recipe to trigger it.

1 minute ago, stokerg said:

Hi @SubTric,

Yup that locks my Mac up as well. i'll get this logged with the Dev team.  

I'm still struggling to replicate the table issue but there have been a few more reports of it, so there is clearly something going on.  It's just finding the recipe to trigger it.

Sure it's an unorthodox solution, but I'm only in Derby, so if it helps to swing by and give you all my MacBook to see if something specific can be highlighted (and to let you see the issue at play first hand), just let me know.

@stokergjust wondering if there has been any headway on fixes either of the 2 issues raised here? - The missing table row headers (temp fix by toggling the user interface font size on each restart) or the hang over of thumb nails after closing a project and subsequent Mac lock up if you click them?

Thanks for the support!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@SubTric (or anyone else suffering from this issue).

We are still looking into and trying to reproduce this issue, we have seen it once internally but it is since non reproducible on that machine, do you mind answering the following if you can still reproduce the issue:

• The temporary fix with font size - do you also get the same effect if you change to light ui and back to dark?
  • Do rulers on text frames also not display?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

10 minutes ago, Jon P said:

@SubTric (or anyone else suffering from this issue).

We are still looking into and trying to reproduce this issue, we have seen it once internally but it is since non reproducible on that machine, do you mind answering the following if you can still reproduce the issue:

• The temporary fix with font size - do you also get the same effect if you change to light ui and back to dark?
  • Do rulers on text frames also not display?

Thanks

Hi!

I've just checked - 

Yes, toggling the light/dark user interface also solves the issue (again until the application is quit and restarted).

Re: rulers, excuse my ignorance, do you mean the small pop up box that tells you the H and W as you drag your text frame? If so, then this displays normally from the point of the application being opened.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Should have clarified re the rulers, I mean the text ruler (enabled by View > Show Text Ruler).

Thanks for checking!

image.png

Thanks - I didn't even know that was a thing! ha.

Having just checked, yes, I can confirm this suffers from the same issue. You tick it, but it will not show until you toggle the UI text size or light/dark settings.