You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Recent Menu is Blank

1 hour ago, zachleeyoder said:

When I try to open a recent file, the Open Recent section in the menu bar is blank. It only says "Clear Menu."

Mac OS Ventura • Designer 1.10.5

Did it work before?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

And have you verified that your system Settings related to Recent Files are still the same as they were before you upgraded the OS?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And have you verified that your system Settings related to Recent Files are still the same as they were before you upgraded the OS?

I am in the Ventura System Settings trying to figure this out and, as the System Settings are completely different now, I am unable to locate how to ADD an app to give it access to recent files. I do see that Full Disk Access or Files & Folders access is not given to Designer, which means it changed on the update. How do I add an app to permissions? Lol

Xnip2022-10-26_22-56-49.png

46 minutes ago, zachleeyoder said:

I can’t seem to find where it would be in the System Preferences. Maybe I’m just completely missing it? 

I am not running the latest OS but you could try typing "Recent" (without the quotes) in the Search section of the OS System preferences.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, Lee D said:

@zachleeyoder The Open Recent option is usually controlled by the macOS. In previous versions the option is under General in System Preferences, have you checked there?

It has moved to Desktop & Dock in the new System Settings. @zachleeyoder I bet this is the problem. Go to Desktop & Dock and ensure Recent documents is set to a value like 10 and not None. If it's set to None you won't get any recent items in Affinity.

Don't worry about Privacy & Security where the + sign to add an app is gone in Ventura. There's still the - sign to remove one which is in your screenshot. I think apps are only added automatically now but I'm not sure.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

6 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

It has moved to Desktop & Dock in the new System Settings. @zachleeyoder I bet this is the problem. Go to Desktop & Dock and ensure Recent documents is set to a value like 10 and not None. If it's set to None you won't get any recent items in Affinity.

Don't worry about Privacy & Security where the + sign to add an app is gone in Ventura. There's still the - sign to remove one which is in your screenshot. I think apps are only added automatically now but I'm not sure.

THIS IS THE ANSWER!!!! Thank you! The new System Preferences is difficult to maneuver on OS. Not a complaint, just different. Thanks so much! 

So here's a question: Why would this be ON in Monterey but the update to Ventura changed this to "None" for me? 

8 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Xnip2022-10-27_12-01-04.png

13 minutes ago, zachleeyoder said:

THIS IS THE ANSWER!!!! Thank you! The new System Preferences is difficult to maneuver on OS. Not a complaint, just different. Thanks so much! 

So here's a question: Why would this be ON in Monterey but the update to Ventura changed this to "None" for me? 

I'm glad you've got it sorted.

I have no idea why the setting turned off for you during the upgrade. It could be something like years ago you picked a setting that was later removed from the list and while that value continued to work until Ventura, perhaps in Ventura a value that doesn't match the ones in the list defaults to None. I have no idea if there ever were more settings like 25 that aren't offered today, but this is why something like this could happen. Anyway it doesn't matter, issue solved.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

43 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I'm glad you've got it sorted.

I have no idea why the setting turned off for you during the upgrade. It could be something like years ago you picked a setting that was later removed from the list and while that value continued to work until Ventura, perhaps in Ventura a value that doesn't match the ones in the list defaults to None. I have no idea if there ever were more settings like 25 that aren't offered today, but this is why something like this could happen. Anyway it doesn't matter, issue solved.

Cheers

True. Doesn’t matter now. Lol. Thank you so much!