You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help! I have a directory of names and addresses for my org. Everthing was fine last year. I am trying to edit it, and all these horizontal lines are showing up and I can't highlight them to get rid of them. They are not underlines because when I try to undo underline, nothing happens to them. They move around as I add and delete name, etc.

• Staff

Hi @lindaheiser1 welcome to the forums,

Are you referring to the Spell check error indicator lines? If so, you can temporarily hide them by going to Text > Spelling > Untick Check Spelling While Typing.

If you're referring to something else, perhaps you can provide a screenshot so we can see what you're referring to.

@lindaheiser1 are you aware you're now sharing a list of personal addresses known by your organisation, so probably business contacts, for everybody in the world to see on a public forum?

Looking in the addresses you posted you with your organisation are located in the UK. And the European GDPR privacy regulations still apply in the UK and sharing is not really a great idea. I wouldn't like seeing this here if I were one of these contacts to be honest. Assuming these are real addresses, which is what it looks like, I would advise you to take them offline because of privacy concerns. Perhaps you could find a better way to ask for help without posting personal contact data?

29 minutes ago, lindaheiser1 said:

Do you happen to know how I can get rid of those lines?

Are there any decorations included in the paragraph styles used for the text?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, lindaheiser1 said:

I think they may be Character Styles if they are not as Alfred suggested Paragraph Styles.

Select all the text and apply [No Style] for the Paragraph and Character styles. then undo that and apply whatever you think is best. It could be local formatting as well so go to Text > Reapply Text Styles to get rid of the locally applied underlines if that is what they are.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, lindaheiser1 said:

Can you recreate the problem in a document that doesn't have sensitive information, and provide another screenshot?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, lindaheiser1 said:

There has to be a way to get rid of these lines!

Please recreate the problem using non-sensitive data and give us a screenshot so we can see the problem. 

It would also help to have the new file so we can look at the details of what you're doing.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:47 PM, lindaheiser1 said:

reapply text styles is greyed out

This might mean the selected text has no style from the Text Styles Panel applied. Or, possibly*, the selected text has already that style applied and does not need to get reapplied.  *to me in macOS in this situation it is not grayed out – but maybe in Windows?

On 7/23/2022 at 12:01 AM, lindaheiser1 said:

i put a minus next to decorations

If you talk about a minus symbol in front of items in the Text Style Editor window: it indicates that this parameter gets used from its parent style (e.g. "Base").

5 hours ago, lindaheiser1 said:

There has to be a way to get rid of these lines!

Definitely. I did not see the screenshot before. Can you add/upload one again which shows this "horizontal lines" occurrence with neutral text content? Or, to shorten the Q&A process, upload an Affinity document with an accordingly styled word.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

11 minutes ago, lindaheiser1 said:

Thanks so much. The names and addresses I have in the directory all have an underline under their emails. When I go to add a new name and push enter, the underline under the name below moves up. Then when I add another name, the underline moves up again. 

Please give us a screenshot using fake addresses and names so we can see the underlines. Or if possible a screen recording.

-- Walt
PC: