You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Busy illustrating and animating 66 (!) animals for a new Interactive Map

MmmMaarten

On 3/29/2022 at 12:32 PM, Alfred said:

A White Rhino 🦏 … isn’t white! ;)

I have always understood that the word 'white' in White Rhino is a corruption of the dutch word for 'wide'. This refers to the wide upper lip of the White Rhino in contrast to the narrow, pointed upper lip of the Black Rhino.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

20 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I have always understood that the word 'white' in White Rhino is a corruption of the dutch word for 'wide'.

Ditto.

20 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

This refers to the wide upper lip of the White Rhino in contrast to the narrow, pointed upper lip of the Black Rhino.

I couldn’t have told you that bit!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@MmmMaarten  So far the elephant is still my favorite.  His trunk movements differ within the video, and both versions are so alive!  I think of the story of Bandoola when I look at him.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

7 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I have always understood that the word 'white' in White Rhino is a corruption of the dutch word for 'wide'.

Interesting. I am also surprised to see how some animals names are directly taken over from Dutch into English, like 'Springbok'.

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

@MmmMaarten  So far the elephant is still my favorite.  His trunk movements differ within the video, and both versions are so alive!  I think of the story of Bandoola when I look at him.

I'd never heard of that story before so don't know the story, but searching on Google that looks like a great illustrated book with a nice style.

Personally, I quite like these ones I've created today:

L'hoest's Monkey :220_monkey_face:

And the Laptop-til... uh... Leptoptilos  😁
(pay close attention to his 'ball' 🤣 )

@MmmMaarten  Yes -- today's animals are delightful.  Lot's of motion!  Bandoola is the true story of an incredibly brave elephant who helped save many people during the Second World War.  If you can find a translation I think you would really like it, being an "animal person."   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

Thanks a lot for sharing your fantastic work, all of your pieces are equally great! So far the Asian elephant is my favorite, because alongside Eurasian magpie is the animal I appreciate the most. (Despite the difference in size, they do have something in common: they are recognizing themselves in the mirror, they’re self aware — only a handful of species are).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_test

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

On 2/23/2022 at 10:12 AM, MmmMaarten said:

Busy illustrating and animating 66 (!!) different animals for on a new Interactive Map. Happily using Affinity Designer for all graphics on the map to have them vector-based.

Starting with the elephant  🐘! Such beautiful animals! 😀

This is awesome! How do you do it?

12 hours ago, iuli said:

Thanks a lot for sharing your fantastic work, all of your pieces are equally great! So far the Asian elephant is my favorite, because alongside Eurasian magpie is the animal I appreciate the most. (Despite the difference in size, they do have something in common: they are recognizing themselves in the mirror, they’re self aware — only a handful of species are).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_test

Thanks for the info! I didn't know about the cleverness and passing the mirror test by the Eurasian Magpie. I see them a lot around here in the streets and find them beautiful tho! Will look at them differently now.

11 hours ago, LastGrasp said:

This is awesome! How do you do it?

Thanks for the nice words! Lots of coffee, illustrating/animating/programming, a little bit of magic, but above all loving what you do and endurance! 😉

PS, wait 'till you see the full map with all 66 animals! It's pretty fun to see them all doing their thing I think! 😀

Have a nice weekend!

The baboon is exceptional.  I love his mouth movements!

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

The baboon is exceptional.  I love his mouth movements!

Thanks! Because there are 66 real time animating animals on the map I need to optimize and limit movements as everything needs to run smoothly at the same time. But some animals I like to give a little more expression/livelyness. Also to have some dynamics. Not every animal is great for lots of animation. Some animals are just more 'easy going'.

Only 1 animal left to animate at this point! 😀

--

Red Panda. This animal is so beautiful and has such a great color in real life! :211_panda_face:

Sloth Bear 🧸

The little panda is charming!  Yes, I can imagine that looking at all 66 at one time will be an amazing experience.  Where to look!  Oh, look!!!  No, look over here!  All the while, the water continues to flow around the many islands.

The mongoose is remarkable.  Very muscular legs and neck!  What a charming way to finish the project.