You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixelate Effect with Affinity Designer

Hello community,

Is it possible to achieve the pixelate affect in Affinity Designer? It does not need to be vector - I have a normal image as source.  There is something similar in Photo: https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Filters/filter_pixelate.html?title=Pixelate

Welcome to the forums @HAL90000

The Pixelate Filter of Photo – along with the other Photo non-Live filters – is not available in Designer.
This is probably by design to split the functionality between applications.
You can make a feature request but I would guess that this situation is unlikely to change any time soon.

Basically, if you want to pixelate stuff with an Affinity application then you need to be using Photo.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Basically, if you want to pixelate stuff with an Affinity application then you need to be using Photo.

‘Nearest Neighbour’ resampling can be quite effective. Here’s a ‘before/after’ example of a 1024 × 768 pixel image resized down to 64 × 48 pixels in Affinity Designer:

BFCB903B-D442-428C-B767-01B52439ABD9.jpeg.345832060b6050c163015e6c696f2fd8.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Here’s a ‘before/after’ example of a 1024 × 768 pixel image resized down to 64 × 48 pixels in Affinity Designer

And here’s a photographic one:

047F9348-1BED-4B9C-80F2-25A34149B913.jpeg.4b0b4dfd097ebb9e6bc34d8cad21ada9.jpeg  7F4384DC-C862-44D2-89AB-0E1D2F79C069.jpeg.a23922ba5fbdab4731463e4234318325.jpeg

Apologies for the slight sizing mismatch!

Alfred spacer.png

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @isusedbyanotheruser,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Under File > Document Setup in Affinity Designer, change the Units to Pixel (if not already set) and then set Objects will: to Rescale.

You should now see the Resample option, which you can set to Nearest Neighbour.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Under File > Document Setup in Affinity Designer, change the Units to Pixel (if not already set) and then set Objects will: to Rescale.

Is it really necessary to change tyhe document units to pixels for this to work?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
21 hours ago, R C-R said:

Is it really necessary to change tyhe document units to pixels for this to work?

In Affinity Designer you aren't offered the Resample option, unless the unit type is Pixels / Points, which as I understand is by design - 

image.png

image.png

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

In Affinity Designer you aren't offered the Resample option, unless the unit type is Pixels / Points, which as I understand is by design - 

Is this a Windows only thing? This is an example of what I get on my Mac:

878122474_docsetup.jpg.9594887ec78c0c9328002c777606625a.jpg

I always have the Resample options, regardless of the unit type....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It must be a Windows only thing...

noresample.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 7/29/2022 at 4:32 PM, R C-R said:

This is an example of what I get on my Mac:

The iPad version likewise has a ‘Sampler’ option available, regardless of the units chosen.

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, Ron P. said:

It must be a Windows only thing..

Apparently so. Also note that in the Mac version the Document Setup window has no title, cannot be moved, & has no close button.

Affinity Photo 

47 minutes ago, R C-R said:

the Document Setup window has no title, cannot be moved, & has no close button

Aren’t those all things that depend on the presence of a title bar? :/

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Aren’t those all things that depend on the presence of a title bar? :/

Yes.

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, Alfred said:
8 hours ago, R C-R said:

the Document Setup window has no title, cannot be moved, & has no close button

Aren’t those all things that depend on the presence of a title bar?

In Affinity not necessarily.

518072195_UItitlevstitlebar.thumb.jpg.70d1e6ef9c038be8b022962b95223c5c.jpg

A window title does not require a title bar. 😉
Also the ability to get moved is independent of a title bar.
And a close button in Affinity often gets solved as "Cancel" button at the window's bottom.

And there is also a solution which has a title bar but no title and its close button grayed-out:

392028865_UItitlevstitlebar2.thumb.jpg.fb7381d51c52ed874d33c4788bec7524.jpg

By the way, such aspects where recently discussed for adjustment windows:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 7/28/2022 at 1:37 PM, Dan C said:

Is there also a way to avoid resampling for images which get placed + scaled in APub?

In APub it appears useful that the option does exist in the Export options and does not exist for Document Setup and Spread Setup – but how about for single objects on a page?

• Staff
On 7/29/2022 at 4:32 PM, R C-R said:

Is this a Windows only thing? This is an example of what I get on my Mac:

I always have the Resample options, regardless of the unit type....

My apologies, I had only checked this on Windows and was under the impression this was the correct behaviour - however I can confirm that this differs between Mac and Windows and therefore I'm logging this with the devs now, as I don't understand why this is not consistent.

22 hours ago, R C-R said:

Also note that in the Mac version the Document Setup window has no title, cannot be moved, & has no close button.

Thanks for confirming this also, I've checked and the same behaviour is not true of Publishers 'Document Setup' on Mac, however the 'Resize Document' dialog in Photo (although slightly different from the Document Setup dialog) interacts in the same manner as Designer. Therefore I'll also be logging these inconsistencies with the devs now :)

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

In APub it appears useful that the option does exist in the Export options and does not exist for Document Setup and Spread Setup

This option is available for me in Publisher, under Spread Setup -

image.png

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

but how about for single objects on a page?

Unfortunately however I don't believe such control exists for a singular layer, though I will be sure log this as an improvement with the developers as I can certainly understand the use case of such a function :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

16 minutes ago, Dan C said:

This option is available for me in Publisher, under Spread Setup -

Indeed! Sorry + Thank you!
I had checked under "Dimensions" only, where it appears in APhoto. Of course, in APub it makes more sense in the "Scaling" tab.