You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Designer: possible custom leading bug

the bug happens when I type in my leading value under “Custom.”. I make sure I’m typing over values or clear them out first. no matter what value I type, upon hitting ‘ok,’ designer will actually register and implement a different number…sometimes ridiculously high, sometimes very low..no rhyme to it, seems.

anyone else?

thank you

20 hours ago, VectorCat said:

sometimes ridiculously high, sometimes very low..no rhyme to it, seems

I’m pretty sure it depends on the document DPI. If you choose ‘Resize’ from the Document menu, tap on the little white triangle at the right-hand end of the Context toolbar, set the DPI to 72 and tap ‘Apply’, you should find that whatever leading value you subsequently choose is retained.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Made no difference.

It definitely makes a difference for me. At 72dpi the leading value is set to what I type. At 144dpi it is cut in half. At 300dpi it is cut proportionally smaller.

The only way I ever see it become larger than what I type is with dpi values smaller than 72, and it remains proportional.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

My goal was to have 24-pt type in a 300 dpi document which is a print standard. 

for the type size to vary according to resolution seems a bit weird to me. I suppose there is a reason for this?

BTW.. I got values like 342pts and 5.8pts, whether I set the resolution to 300 dpi or 72 dpi

11 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

for the type size to vary according to resolution seems a bit weird to me. I suppose there is a reason for this?

That seems more than "a bit" weird to me. If there is some good reason for this, other than it simply being a bug, I would be interested to know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 1:10 AM, VectorCat said:

It helps greatly. Thank you, Dan. 

Still faulty in current retail when Custom selected. Otherwise ok.🙁

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Not for me..I upgraded the other day to 1.10.2. Just went into the same document where I’d discovered the bug, and tried again to enter a Custom leading value. Type had been at 24pt leading. I typed 32. The result was 7.7!

To be methodical and scientific, I made a fresh document, a text frame, and into it pasted a bit of lorem ipsum. type was at 13.9 upon pasting - a curious value, imo. I went to leading > custom, typed 32, and the value of  297.4 was returned.

If it would be helpful, I’m happy to take a screen recording of this, then upload the file used to make the recording.

10 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Not for me..I upgraded the other day to 1.10.2.

You’re correct. I missed the custom part (which is the issue). Still faulty.🙁

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/