You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing transparent png issues

I am new to Affinity photo(a convert from photoshop. I am having the weirdest issue, when I import a png graphic that has a transparent background when it opens in Affinity photo, it shows the checkerboard background when it supposed to appear transparent. Like what am I missing here, 😕 is there a setting that could fix this?? Thanks 

Hi @acehan80

A checkered background is the way applications display transparency.

Any other solid color would be confusing.

[edit] If you come from PS, you already know this.

Are you sure it's a transparent. PNG, and not a preview of a transparent one like they use on sites selling them? [/edit]

Wosven your right, it shows a checkered background and should not. I am using the actual png with transparency and not a preview of one. If you have 

an example I could use I will import that to see if that works. I do have experience with graphic design, but new to affinity photo, and so far its very quirky , I dont like how it handles stacks and how it handles this very issue transparency, but im starting to love what everybody else is doing with it, so im learning and wont give up. I also saw threads where others were having similar issues but no resolve was given. I believe its a bug with this program and my Windows 10. appreciate any feedback or help, thanks community!

18 minutes ago, acehan80 said:

Every transparent png file I dragged from my desktop shows the transparent gridlines

Do they go away if you turn off Document > Transparent Background?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, BofG said:

Do you have a transparent monitor?

A transparent monitor???, lol what is that I have a Core i7 HP Omen with a built in Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 more than enough to run Affinity Photo its just this glitch program others are having this issue it needs to be fixed period

25 minutes ago, acehan80 said:

its the record png

Can you upload this again as record.Zpng so the website doesn't show it and potentially mangle it. From my experience Photo does an excellent job with 24bit pngs, 8bit palletised pngs are another matter....

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

I made a circle on a transparent document. I took a screenshot of that and placed the screenshot (a PNG file) in a document with a transparent background. the checkerboard around the circle is not transparent.

2128447428_ScreenShot2021-08-24at12_52_00PM.png.58c1045cce7cc66108b8aab5d59273e4.png This right hand side is transparent in the document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That's sure that there's a difference between a screen shot of a PNG's transparency (the previews I was talking about in my first post, with checkered background), and a real transparent PNG you save with from a site or create.

Fake PNG (screenshot):

2021-08-24_221254.png.7382a0b9793f432813ba2f9df7a114fd.png

Real PNG with transparency:

RealPNG.png.2598bc3d068221928f8868e582e649cd.png

2021-08-24_222110.thumb.jpg.75c377a946a42064391fd3bbf64ce9c3.jpg

52 minutes ago, acehan80 said:

I already did check through the post 👆its the record png and another one. Its a bug in this program Affinity needs to finally address this.

The files you uploaded are not transparent PNGs. You may have uploaded a screenshot, but we need the actual file. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As I asked earlier:

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

Does your PNG image display correctly if you substitute it for the one I’ve included in the attached file?

trsnp-png.afphoto 481.27 kB · 5 downloads

Please open my file, hide the texture layer and place your ‘record’ PNG (or any other PNG with transparency) on the canvas, and then post a screenshot of the result.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

No part of your ‘record’ PNG is transparent: even the spindle hole is solid white. The lightning bolt, on the other hand, has transparent regions both outside and inside the black outline.

B62B598E-6C8A-44AC-97B7-B070C1CA6A0A.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)