You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The font changes sizes when it flows to the next text box. Why

Hi again for anyone who is able to advise me why the following happens. I have been adding captions to photographs in a book and I thought I had used the correct method of selecting the link icon and drawing a text box. The link worked however any text which flowed into the linked box became tiny as if it was 'superior' or superscript. In the character and font settings it was all 10/15 pt Milo Regular. When I pulled the text back as in fig. 1 it returned to the correct size. To resolve the issue I created two separate text boxes on linked them. This worked for two boxes however when I linked the third box the same reduction in size happened again.

Please tell me what is going on.

Thanks for any help.

Text flow and font size changes.png

Two text boxes created and then linked.png

enlarged version.png

3 same is happening.png

7 minutes ago, boorowaboy said:

Thanks for any help.

This is a long standing issue now in APu and top advice would say, that you scaled the text frame with the outer bottom resize handle. But this is not the whole truth, because I saw this often with opening PDF or IDML files.

Try this: a) Hit the Reset button top right at the Text Styles panel for the frame showing the wrong font size, b) Copy the whole text and put it into new text frames.

If this happens with a IDML file, the developers would be keen to get a hand on this file.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

This is a long standing issue now in APu and top advice would say, that you scaled the text frame with the outer bottom resize handle. But this is not the whole truth, because I saw this often with opening PDF or IDML files.

Try this: a) Hit the Reset button top right at the Text Styles panel for the frame showing the wrong font size, b) Copy the whole text and put it into new text frames.

If this happens with a IDML file, the developers would be keen to get a hand on this file.

Hi Joachim

Very grateful for your advice. Its a bit late for me here in Canberra but I will use your advice in the morning when I return to the job

cheers

10 minutes ago, boorowaboy said:

Its a bit late for me here in Canberra

I love the web, eight minutes later it is quarter past five in the morning here.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

One more comment before I stop. I have tried scaling text the way you do with InDes, hold the option and drag a corner, if I remember correctly. However I could never get it work in APu so I gave up. Having it reduce in size when you drag a corner is about as counter-intuitive as is possible.

2 minutes ago, boorowaboy said:

One more comment before I stop. I have tried scaling text the way you do with InDes, hold the option and drag a corner, if I remember correctly. However I could never get it work in APu so I gave up. Having it reduce in size when you drag a corner is about as counter-intuitive as is possible.

As @Joachim_L mentioned, in general you want to avoid using the detached node, which scales both the container and any text it contains now or in the future:

image.png.ad3e67682988356174b6443788b3f11c.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for that tip. The text flow now works. 

Joachim; I could not find the Reset button in the top right of text styles panel or any note about wrong size. Could you give me a screen grab of where I should look.

I must say thank you to those who replied to my questions they have been invaluable. I think I would have given up on Publisher if I had to rely on the Work book. It is interesting but not informative on complex questions the same applies to the on line index. When I looked up Text styles reset button/anything there were no results.

Thanks for those on the Forum.

43 minutes ago, boorowaboy said:

Joachim; I could not find the Reset button in the top right of text styles panel ...

It looks like a T surrounded by a counterclockwise pointing circular arrow. Refer to https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/pages/Panels/textStylesPanel.html 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

I don't think this bug has anything to do with scaling text frames.  I had a 3-page single-column document with overflowing text on the last page.  I added a new page and drew a new text frame over the purple guideline that came from the master page.  I linked the overflowing frame on the previous page (page 3) to the new one (page 4).   The first line of the flowed text on page 4 is inexplicably rendered in a tiny 2.9pt font size (it should be 12pt).  If you look carefully at the screenshot, you should see the line of tiny text at the top of the page.

I can get the text back to 12pt by fiddling around with text styles, but this is only a temporary solution.  As text moves around and is re-flowed between frames, the problem comes back again (only affecting text at the top of the new page).

affinity_bug.PNG

On 6/8/2023 at 12:17 PM, tcdaly said:

I don't think this bug has anything to do with scaling text frames. 

Things like this have also been reported due to DPI changes. Examples:

• You copy a Text Frame from a document with a DPI of 300 into a document with a DPI of 600. Or,
  • You create a document with a DPI of 300, containing some Text Frames, then change the document DPI to 600, and add additional Text Frames after that.

It would be better, though, for you to create your own topic about this, rather than posting in this older topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:59 PM, walt.farrell said:

Things like this have also been reported due to DPI changes. Examples:

• You copy a Text Frame from a document with a DPI of 300 into a document with a DPI of 600. Or,
  • You create a document with a DPI of 300, containing some Text Frames, then change the document DPI to 600, and add additional Text Frames after that.

It would be better, though, for you to create your own topic about this, rather than posting in this older topic.

Thank you.  I didn't make any changes to DPI settings.  You're right that I should create a new topic.  Although the symptoms I experience are similar, I think the cause is different in my case from what's been suggested in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 11:07 AM, tcdaly said:

Thank you.  I didn't make any changes to DPI settings.  You're right that I should create a new topic.  Although the symptoms I experience are similar, I think the cause is different in my case from what's been suggested in this topic.

New topic created here:

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2023 at 5:27 AM, BBG3 said:

I faced this problem today. It was unexpected and hard to understand the problem and fix it.

Are you working on a document originally imported from IDML?  If so, it's a bug that Affinity have confirmed and are aware of.

If not, there are various causes and solutions suggested earlier in this thread.