You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I'm trying to combine the two attached photos in such a way that it appears there is an audience in the background of the photo of the man with crystal ball. Would love to learn how to do this so I can apply it to other photos as well.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Chris 

blank-audience1.jpg

crystal-ball-test.jpg

The normal way to do this sort of thing is to make a selection of the foreground (the man with the crystal ball), and then put it on top of the background. How you make the selection depends on the images you're using. The big problem here is that the man's suit and the background are both black, so the best way is probably to use the pen tool, although that could be a bit tricky to get it just right. There are other ways to combine two (or more) images, but combining them in this way is the most straight forward. You also need to take into account that the lighting/tones etc need to match in both images for the result to look realistic.

test.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

What he said...

p3.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

This is extremely helpful and I thank you very much!

What I was hoping to do was to maintain the black background of the man with crystal ball throughout and have the audience in the background sort of barely visible in the back and then have them blurred.  It's hard to explain. I like the crowd to be sort of silhouetted in the black background of the crystal ball pic. Almost like the attached examples. Again, my sincere gratitude for you taking the time to help me. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 3.43.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 3.41.55 PM.png

• 6 months later...

I'm new to Affinity Photo, so I was looking for a tutorial to merge two photos--the main reason I bought the product without resorting to Photoshop. The 4 tutorial videos I found do not cover the "merge" topic I'm looking for.  There is a tutorial for "Sky Replacement" with a related "Lock children (Masking)" video which looked promising, but I can't get any of the tutorial videos to play--could just be a VPN issue, but still frustrating. Any ideas where I can watch an Affinity Photo video tutorial for merging photos by layer?  Thanks! 

Welcome to the forums @Jeff at JSJ Photography,

Where were these videos you're having problems viewing located, YouTube, Serif's tutorials?

I think you wanting videos covering Mask Layers and Masking vs Clipping Layers.

There's others found were those are located. If you can view videos on YouTube just search for similar tutorials on Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I'm afraid I lost track of this thread and didn't see the OP's last post above. Obviously not much use now, several months later, but just for completeness I think the attached is more like what he wanted. Very simply the crowd was cut out (to remove the curtain in the background), then placed on top of the crystal ball picture, resized, blurred, the opacity reduced and people behind the man's arm masked out. Then some final burning of the crowd to make them blend more into the black. There are other ways to get a similar result, using blend modes etc, but this seemed the easiest and most straight forward.

crystal-ball-test.jpg.50ffc267633c4628aad4a0aadcae99ba.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 5:29 AM, Ron P. said:

Welcome to the forums @Jeff at JSJ Photography,

Where were these videos you're having problems viewing located, YouTube, Serif's tutorials?

I think you wanting videos covering Mask Layers and Masking vs Clipping Layers.

There's others found were those are located. If you can view videos on YouTube just search for similar tutorials on Affinity Photo.

Thanks Ron P.!

I was able to watch the Serif's tutorials Mask Layers video just ONE time, then tried the Masking vs Clipping Layers but I keep getting an "Affinity Photo for desktop tutorials" page but the video does not render.  I tried going back to the Mask Layers video, but now that one won't play either.  I tried accessing both videos again with my VPN off, but that also did not solve the problem.  Must be a mysterious cookies thing or something wrong with my browser settings/brand.

Anyway, I watched the Mask Layers video you sent all the way through and I think this is just the video I needed to complete my project of merging a pair of red-shouldered hawks on separate trees onto one tree so they are not so far apart and look adjacent to each other on the same tree. 

I've been trying to get the two hawks in the same shot for a couple of years when they visit our yard, but naturally they are never cooperative enough to take their photo together on the same tree...so I can blow it up big for my living room focal point photo artwork. 

Thanks a ton for your guidance!

I'll try to find those same two videos on YouTube next......

~Jeff at JSJ Photography

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 12:06 PM, Jeff at JSJ Photography said:

I was able to watch the Serif's tutorials Mask Layers video just ONE time, then tried the Masking vs Clipping Layers but I keep getting an "Affinity Photo for desktop tutorials" page but the video does not render.  I tried going back to the Mask Layers video, but now that one won't play either.  I tried accessing both videos again with my VPN off, but that also did not solve the problem.  Must be a mysterious cookies thing or something wrong with my browser settings/brand.

Interesting observation.  In Chrome, I can only watch one video one time and then I can't watch anymore in that browser session. However, if I open the Affinity training videos up in MS Edge, I can watch all of them.  Not sure why Google Chrome limits Affinity videos this way, but I just have to remember this is no longer a problem with the Edge browser.