You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just bought and downloaded the latest version and it constantly crashes

Im running Win 10 home (64 bit) i7-4770 CPU at 3.40GHz with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card

I just purchased this so I do have the latest version 1.9.2.1035

I was using HDR merg with 3 .jpg files. They loaded fine and went through thr process and as soon as I touched a parameter the program just shut down.

I then tried HDR merg with 3 sony .arw files and they loaded fine and went through the process and as soon as I tried a parameter the program just shut down.

With the raw files I checked noise reduction, unckecked align because I used a tripod and unchecked Auto remove ghosts because I wanted the blurred effect

of car tail lights. 

This is the first two times I ever used this program (it looks great) and it just shut down. I also gave it plenty of time to complete its cycle.

Hope this is enough info

Ron Lukawitski

• Staff

Hi @Ron Lukawitski, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

As RichardMH said, disable OpenCL and see if that helps.

It is still early days for OpenCL and unfrotunately it doesn't currently work with all the hundreds of hardware combinations on the Windows platform. We're working hard to immprove it and there are constant updates and fixes in the beta. 

I'm sorry your initial experience with the software was not a great one. Please let us know if you have any further issues after disabling OpenCL.

I disabled OpenCL and it crashed before all three .ARW files loaded. I tried it again with Tone Mapping unchecked. All three files loaded fine but as soon as I clicked on tone mapping it crashed. Tried it with everything unchecked and it would'nt even load the files, It's worse with OpenCL disabled. 

Looks like great software and I bought it for the HDR feature and it's not working. The first time it crashed it did send a crash report

Ron L

Hello @Ron Lukawitski if Affinity programmes crash then there should be one or more crashreports.

Please hold down Windows key + R.

Coyp & paste or type %appdata%\affinity\photo\1.0\crashreports\reports and click OK or hit enter.

If there are more  than one .dmp files attach the file with the latest timestamp to your next post. Also the log.txt can be for interrest. This file is in the 1.0 folder. Attach the log.txt too.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

My first recommendation is to update the graphics card drivers.

My second is to check the Microsoft .Net components: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

If you do not play games, you should use the NVIDIA Studio drivers, which are optimised for graphics applications.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I do have Capture One Pro and a Lenovo motherboard... tried the beta and still crashes

3 hours ago, RichardMH said:

Maybe try the beta version. There have been some fixes. It runs separately to the retail version. PS Do you also have Capture One?

I do have Capture One Pro installed and the beta crashes

4 hours ago, Komatös said:

My first recommendation is to update the graphics card drivers.

My second is to check the Microsoft .Net components: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

If you do not play games, you should use the NVIDIA Studio drivers, which are optimised for graphics applications.

Just checked and the graphics drivers are up to date. Looked at the above Net components link and it doesn't include Win 10. Will it still work?

51 minutes ago, Lem3 said:

The post by RichardMH contains a link to an entry describing a known issue with Capture One and how to work around it.

This was the issue:

Capture One (Windows Explorer Integration)
Problem: Crash when attempting to open files (stack overflow in NVIDIA driver). Affects Capture One versions 20 and 21.
Cause: Capture One's Explorer integration crashes if more than one instance is running at once
Solution: Disable Windows Explorer Integration by renaming the C:\Program Files\Capture One\Capture One 20\WIC\WIC64 folder to something else. Note: If you have version 21, the directory will be C:\Program Files\Capture One\Capture One 21\WIC\WIC64. This assumes you haven't changed the default installation directory.

I did that (changed the folder name in Capture One 21 ) and now it doesn't crash anymore on Win 10 ........ How can that be?

Edited by Ron Lukawitski

51 minutes ago, Ron Lukawitski said:

Is there another fix for this instead of changing the folder name?

Perhaps a question for the Capture One team to answer? But I'm curious why you want a different solution?

In any case, the full Affinity answer for this issue is in the topic I have linked below, and it includes a pointer to a discussion on a Capture One forum, which provides another suggestion.

Affinity answer: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/44770-issues-caused-by-third-party-software/

Capture One discussion: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360013132497-CO-20-Windows-explorer-integration

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

51 minutes ago, Ron Lukawitski said:

Would this be worth trying? Just wondering if this would fix it?  I really don't want to try it without some professional advice !!

I have no idea if that tool would work, nor what it might decide to do to your system. Personally, I would not use it.

I would just rename that directory, or try the alternative mentioned in the Capture One discussion I mentioned above. Both of those are simple to perform, and simple to undo if you need to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I have no idea if that tool would work, nor what it might decide to do to your system. Personally, I would not use it.

I would just rename that directory, or try the alternative mentioned in the Capture One discussion I mentioned above. Both of those are simple to perform, and simple to undo if you need to.

I will wait ... everything works now

• Staff
11 hours ago, Ron Lukawitski said:

Just downloaded the latest NVIDIA studio driver version 471.11 (created june 23) ..... changed the folder name back to its original name ...... ran Affinity Photo and all is well

We have started internal relations with Nvidia recently and I did hear word that they had included a fix but I was not told which version it would be available for. So it sounds like either the 471.11 driver or the one at the start of this month (maybe around the 5th) included the fix - that's good to know. Thanks for letting us know @Ron Lukawitski