You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All assets disappear in latest beta.

This is another problem I have encountered in the latest beta, .1079.

Opening this version I found that my Assets tab was empty.  Not a problem, I simply copied assets.propcol from the latest release to the beta, a total of about 5GB.  They showed as present in the correct folder of the beta version.

Opened the beta version, no assets!  Checked the folder where they had been moved to and the file size now shows as 1KB!!!  Repeated the whole exercise, still no joy!  They seem to transfer without problem but, on opening the beta version it seems that assets.propcol reverts to being an empty file!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

My Assets were just fine when I installed and opened .1079.

I have had mixed results copying assets.propcol between different Affinity applications in the past, but I don't think I've ever tried copying it between the release version and a beta version of the same application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt.

Many thanks for this response.

I think this is something that I really need @Mark Ingram to comment on then.

It is entirely possible that few, if any, of the assets in my release version were previously also used in my installation of the betas (I honestly can't remember) but I wonder why copying that assets.propcol file from the user directory in the release to the user directory in the beta seemed to go "without a hitch" (it showed as being approximately 5GB in size) but the assets did not show in the re-opened beta and the file size in that user directory was now 1 KB?

Questions, questions...

Jeff

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Where are you copying them to?

From C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user to C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0(Beta)\user

Is that not the correct place?

assets.propcol in that folder of the release version is 5,346,332 KB; in the Beta folder it's 1 KB. 

As I wrote before, following the initial copy procedure shows the beta file to be the same size as the release.  Opening the beta app, no assets shown, and assets.propcol in the beta\user folder is 1 KB.

UPDATE: I decided to try what I considered could be a nuclear option!  I moved the whole User folder out of the above Beta directory (saved it to my desktop, in case of disasters!) and then copied the complete User folder form the release to the beta.  Result: all assets now available in the Beta.  I shall keep the original Beta\User folder, which I have now copied to a different drive, until such time as I am happy that everything in the Beta is "as it should be".

So, it seems, problem resolved, hopefully!

Jeff

12 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

Opening the beta app, no assets shown, and assets.propcol in the beta\user folder is 1 KB.

In my experience that means that the assets.propcol file you copied is not compatible with the release or application you copied it to, and so the application has replaced it with the "factory default" set of assets.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt.

Whilst you were writing I updated my latest reply.  It seems the problem is resolved (as detailed in my update) so, fingers crossed!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.