You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem: Fonts in PDF not rasterized (or converted in Curves)

Hello,

i am Working in an Print Company (Digitalprinting etc... the usual stuff) most of the Time for Cars. (Carwrapping, Displays...) 

I have owned the designer for a while in Private and im a big fan. Now i want to change for our Company the Software from Adobe to Serif.

Our Rip-Software (FlexiSign) had some problems with Tranzp. Layers, so we have to Rasterized the File often befor Printing. 

Unfortunately, there is one big problem that keeps me from convincing the employees to make the final switch. I recently received data from Renault and VW, which of course contains fonts. These are not rasterized or converted when opening, regardless of which setting is selected. This is a big problem, especially with customers who cannot deliver a font file like VW in this Case. (we have the Renault Life font, but VW... ) then i have to use Adobe again... 

I have attached a picture which shows the problem. All fonts are duplicated, texts that are converted are shown as outlines. now all text frames must be deleted and the contours filled. depending on the arrangement of the layers, this sometimes takes too long. (i am not allowed to show the graphic from vw here, so i deleted the Renault font to make it clearer - see Pic)

I have now tested in Aff.Designer and in the Aff.Photo. The same problem everywhere ... The question: is this a bug or are we doing something wrong? Will that be fixed? What can we do differently?

Version is 1.9.2.1035

Unbenannt.jpg

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Pakun!

Opening a PDF means AD is interpreting the file, means makes it editable and when there are fonts used which are not available on your system ...

How about placing a PDF? There you have the choice to select Passthrough (as is) or Interpret (editable). Once placed you can rasterise the file.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

How about placing a PDF? There you have the choice to select Passthrough (as is) or Interpret (editable). Once placed you can rasterise the file.

For a print shop, in the scenario described in the first post, that would be very cumbersome, wouldn't it?

First you'd need to create a new document, of the proper page size to match the PDF file. Then you'd need to create the right number of pages, and Place the file "n" times selecting a different PDF page for each document page (or Place once, and duplicate the page "n" times, selecting a different PDF page each time).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...

hello me again.
Is there now a solution for the written problem implemented? Fonts are still not embedded as curves if they are not on the system. So of course no serious work is possible.
I have the impression that AD and co. is only for home users.

Placing PDF only leads to the same result.

I was hoping something had happened by now. Unfortunately, no.

Hence my feedback: not suitable for professional use.

50 minutes ago, Pakun said:

Fonts are still not embedded as curves if they are not on the system. So of course no serious work is possible.

That's something, which only the creator of the PDF files can do as this format isn't meant to be edited by nature, it's a closed format. It's not Affinity Designer's fault per se.

"But it works in Adobe's apps" might be true, but that's only because they are leader in the industry and don't care for official standards. They do what they want with their own formats like EPS, PDF, "extending" them with additional streams, which often only Adobe apps can handle as they—of course—don't publish how to handle them in order to make users having to stay with Adobe.

You can't blame other software developers for this behaviour.

50 minutes ago, Pakun said:

Placing PDF only leads to the same result.

I haven't tested this, but what happens when you place the PDF (passthrough) and then export the layout with the embedded PDF as a (new) PDF, with "convert text to curves" activated? Or, if that doesn't work, place the PDF (passthrough) onto a blank document, export this in a raster format like @Joachim_L suggested. Latter should create a placeable image for your layouts.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

17 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

That's something, which only the creator of the PDF files can do as this format isn't meant to be edited by nature, it's a closed format. It's not Affinity Designer's fault per se.

"But it works in Adobe's apps" might be true, but that's only because they are leader in the industry and don't care for official standards. They do what they want with their own formats like EPS, PDF, "extending" them with additional streams, which often only Adobe apps can handle as they—of course—don't publish how to handle them in order to make users having to stay with Adobe.

You can't blame other software developers for this behaviour.

Other applications I use daily, Adobe or not, can either convert text to curves at import or export. This issue has nothing to do with "Adobe, blah blah blah..."

This issue has to do with Serif Affinity applications not yet being capable of interpreting embedded fonts. They will eventually, the library they use can handle it.

20 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

... I haven't tested this, but what happens when you place the PDF (passthrough) and then export the layout with the embedded PDF as a (new) PDF, with "convert text to curves" activated? Or, if that doesn't work, place the PDF (passthrough) onto a blank document, export this in a raster format like @Joachim_L suggested. Latter should create a placeable image for your layouts.

Due to the above issue (i.e., not handling embedded fonts) means a placed pdf will not, cannot, convert a placed pdf's fonts to curves.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Due to the above issue (i.e., not handling embedded fonts) means a placed pdf will not, cannot, convert a placed pdf's fonts to curves.

True, but they should display correctly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

True, but they should display correctly.

Yes, they should. Many/most of the print establishments I have used for large format printing, including vehicle wraps, require my pdfs to have outlined fonts. 

Which is why I cannot depend upon a single application/suite to handle everything. I'll likely continue  to use Acrobat or pdfToolbox to always outline the type prior to placement or opening a pdf. That way I don't have to think about it as much. 

Every! other software can convert fonts to curves if they are not available.

Even OpenSource software. This has nothing to do with Adobe. I can place PDF´S, but how do I select passthrough? there is no option when placing the Pdf.

A great and easy way of converting fonts in a PDF to paths is to use the super handy PDF Output Preview, an app created by forum member Lagarto which runs as a native Mac/Win frontend to ghostscript (which will need to be installed first) I've only recently become aware of the apps life saving feature, works great and saves a identical flattened copy in the same folder tagged with "file name_nofonts.pdf " brilliant, perfect for your problem.  See download links below 

On 10/14/2021 at 11:40 PM, Kal said:

An incredibly useful thread, but yes, it takes a bit of work to sift through 11 pages of discussion! So, if you’ve just tuned in, and you’re wanting to check your print separations in a post-Adobe world (without breaking the bank), here are the highlights:

1. PACKZVIEW: a free app to preview and inspect production PDF files. This seems to be the best option out there. The only catch is, you need to register, and registrations are reserved for ‘labels/packaging’ companies. If you’re a graphic designer with a commercial website, you should qualify. Otherwise, you might want to try one of the other options. (Thanks to @leob, developer of PDF Checkpoint.)
  2. PDFTRON WebViewer Demo: This isn't a standalone product; it's a JavaScript-based SDK that developers can license for their own apps. But if all you need to do is check print separations, the online demo may very well suit your needs. It finds all the spots and CMYK inks, and lists them with checkboxes that you can turn off and on, just like Acrobat Pro. You can move your cursor over the preview image and see ink coverage percentages. (Original comment)
  3. PDF Output Preview: This useful little app was created by fellow forum member @Lagarto in response to this very thread. It uses Ghostscript, a free command-line tool for working with PostScript and PDF, so you’ll need to install this too. I believe the current versions (as of 15 October 2021) of PDF Output Preview are 1.0.0.16 for Windows and 1.0.0.10 for macOS. (I don't think there's currently a single web page where you can find and download the latest versions, but Lagarto can update us if that happens.)

We can update or repost this as necessary to keep the information fresh.

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.4.3 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.4.0 Betas 2.5.0(2430)

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Sorry I meant to use a screen grab to illustrate how simple it is to flatten your fonts to paths:

Just works👍 

Screen Grab 2022-01-20 at 14.09.17.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.4.3 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.4.0 Betas 2.5.0(2430)

www.bingercreative.co.uk