You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tablet Setup for Designer

Hello all,

I have a wireless Huion Q11K pen and tablet and I am trying to get it up and running, I am a complete novice when it comes to tablets; never used one before, so I'm waving my arms about in the dark right now! I'm assuming it can be used with AD so correct me if I'm wrong.

I have charged it, installed it and fired it up, and I get the initial config stuff as to screen size uses, which screen to use etc, etc, but I can't see or figure out how I get it to work in AD. Can anyone help me out here? 

Much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Gort said:

Been a while now, and no response to this at all. Have I posted it in the wrong place?

On 3/29/2021 at 10:56 AM, Gort said:

I have a wireless Huion Q11K pen and tablet

Okay, I haven't replied because I do not have any experience with these products.

Plus you haven't said what OS you are using Mac or Windows. There are usually (Don't know for certain about the Huion) drivers and control panels in the OS which may need to be set up properly.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:56 PM, Gort said:

but I can't see or figure out how I get it to work in AD.

Does it work, outside of AD?

e.g. just moving and clicking the pen on the Desktop?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Can't add much about the model used here, but I found out that the current Huion tablet drivers in general do an awesome job in conjunction with Affinity apps. No matter if I use low or high precision or windows ink mode settings in Affinity, no matter if I use windows ink, mouse mode, game mode in the driver's setup, it "just works". Even in all weird combinations (windows ink mode in Affinity, but disabled in the driver and vice versa).

So, unless they did something weird to your model's driver, you might have to check for @carl123's advice and see if the tablet works for other apps at all.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Hi Carl123 & Andy05,

You both make a good point. I hadn't actually looked to see if the tablet worked elsewhere, I was just looking to get it running in Affinity. As I said, I've never used one before and know very little about them, let alone setting them up. I wasn't aware that it should work in Windows in general. 

I'll look at that again, maybe I've installed something incorrectly, something I haven't activated somewhere. <sigh> whatever happened to plug n play? 😁

Have Huion H610 that I would really like to use as it fits my desk and my hands well.

It has the latest Huion drivers installed, latest firmware installed, and while it works even with Corel's Paint Shop Pro (I am the guy in the Corel forums who solved the pen and tablet problem for all the folks who were having the same problems with different tablets) but I cannot make it work in Affinity Photo come he** or high water. As far as Affinity Photo is concerned, I'm still using my mouse. All the shortcut keys work, the movement is tracked but Affinity completely ignores pressure. Makes it nearly impossible to do some of the touch up (read dodging and burning) I need to do.

Is this something that is going to be addressed, or do I need to go out and buy another tablet? If so, when will you forward the cash?

Hello @Smee Again,

I think the Huion H610 should work fine in all Affinity software.

The pressure properties are set in the menu bar.
Another tip: activate Windows INK in both Affinity and Huion drivers.

Cheers

Pressure.png

Tablet.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

12 hours ago, Gnobelix said:

Hello @Smee Again,

I think the Huion H610 should work fine in all Affinity software.

The pressure properties are set in the menu bar.
Another tip: activate Windows INK in both Affinity and Huion drivers.

Cheers

It does work perfectly when the user isn't dealing with effects of chemo.

I had not made adjustments with the brush. Chose pressure to moderate both size and fill . . .  then left both sliders set to "Zero" which isn't going to do anyone any good.

No defect in software, only in this end user.

On 4/8/2021 at 5:42 AM, carl123 said:

Does it work, outside of AD?

e.g. just moving and clicking the pen on the Desktop?

I've been messing around with this thing for 2 hours now. I can't get it to do a damned thing, anywhere.

I uninstalled it, grabbed updated driver, re-installed and set up again. Still nothing, in AD or out. At a loss as to what I can do next.

Just a random shot - did you connect the table via an USB hub? Because that might cause trouble (been there, done that), if you don't plug it directly to your PC/Laptop/whatever. Can you see it in your device manager (it should be under input devices, HUION HID).

Other than that, I suppose the only issue might be Windows 7, which isn't officially supported any longer. Though the HUION website doesn't mention anything like this, it actually gives even a guide of how-to uninstall the driver correctly on Windows 7.

What's with the driver's setup panel? Can you use the pen there (in the testing area to setup pressure tolerance etc.). That'd be the most native location to test the functionality I could think of.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)