You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Thanks I have made an FAQ and pinned links to it in every bugs/questions forum. We will mitigate this crash but I understand Unsplash need to revert their recent change to fix the functionality.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks I have made an FAQ and pinned links to it in every bugs/questions forum. We will mitigate this crash but I understand Unsplash need to revert their recent change to fix the functionality.

FWIW, while it does not work on my Mac, neither does trying crash the app. Maybe update the FAQ about that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

Clicking on Stock, inputting a keyword in the Search field, and clicking on the Search icon immediately crashes Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher and Affinity Photo 1.9.3.

Pexels and Pixabay work fine, so far.

-----------------
Mac Mini M1 16gb

MacOS Big Sur 11.3
LG 34-inch 4k monitor
Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher and Affinity Photo 1.9.3.

9 hours ago, selhasone said:

Pexels and Pixabay work fine, so far.

That’s entirely as expected. The problem is was specific to Unsplash, having been caused by changes they made at their end.

Edited by Alfred
Forgot about the 1.9.3 fix!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
9 hours ago, selhasone said:

Clicking on Stock, inputting a keyword in the Search field, and clicking on the Search icon immediately crashes

That is entirely unexpected. Please can you check you are definitely running 1.9.3 as a fix for this was already released and yours is the first report since 1.9.2 was released

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the reply.

I checked and double-checked. Absolutely same behavior for all three applications. I am attaching a couple of screenshots -- Welcome screen and the MacOS popup.

Please advise if you think I should uninstall, do a deep clean and then re-install the suite. Time-consuming but I am willing to do that.

Btw, I am in Bangkok, hence the 8 hour delay (it's morning here now).

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 10.06.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 10.07.36 AM.png

On 5/1/2021 at 7:49 PM, Patrick Connor said:

That is entirely unexpected. Please can you check you are definitely running 1.9.3 as a fix for this was already released and yours is the first report since 1.9.2 was released

Sorry @Patrick Connor, no - it's not the first.  I'm confident that there are actually two Unsplash bugs.  You've fixed the widely experienced recent one, but that has been masking another one that a small minority of us have been experiencing.  If I remember correctly, your fixed bug sorted a problem where a user dragged a thumbnail from the Unsplash search results on to their document.  This crash occurs before that: it happens when you search Unsplash - it crashes immediately before the results are displayed.

I've documented my attempts here.

To that I can now add that it's neither an Apple Silicon problem, nor a Big Sur problem.  The video below illustrates the problem and the exact point of the crash.  It was recorded on my Intel MacBook Pro, running the very latest version of Catalina.  The laptop was Safe Booted and [shift] was held down as I logged in.  This would have blocked pretty much all third-party software, reducing the chances that this was a simple conflict.

(Although the video is very lightly embellished, nothing has been added or removed from the timeline - this shows a live run.)

I've attached the corresponding crash log:  Affinity Designer_2021-05-02-154120_Garys-MacBook-Pro.crash

Each time I've looked at one of these, I can't help but think the lines near the start must refer to the process of displaying the thumbnails for the search results…

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[__NSPlaceholderDictionary initWithObjects:forKeys:count:]: attempt to insert nil object from objects[10]'

ie search results have been provided but they're somehow being held back, causing a small void to open up in the space-time continuum. 🙂

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release