Jump to content

1.9.0 seems very buggy and keeps crashing


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, biomed32uk said:

Is it me or is the new version quite unstable?, 1.8 was pretty solid but 1.9 is very very prone to crashing. So much so that I'm about to go back to 1.8. I can't say it's one particular thing that causes the crash, anywhere in the program and it will lock up and crash out with no warning which is very annoying.

This may be due to the hardware acceleration that is activated by default.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
16 hours ago, biomed32uk said:

I have tried enabled and disabled, disabling improves matters, but if I want to play with HDR tone mapping it will then crash when this is disabled. Really not a good build, seems very buggy. Almost as if its still a Beta version.

Does it always happen in HDR Tone Mapping? Is it with a particular preset, or change that you apply? Do you have any crash reports in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
45 minutes ago, biomed32uk said:

Yes, with the acceleration off when I go into the Tone Mapping Persona, when the image is being analysed it will crash at what seems to be around the 30% mark. I can generate some crashes and see if there is any data where you mention.

Any crash reports from that crash will be very useful, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had a crash when clicked "Develop" - Crash Report attached.
Have had crash when using a Topaz Plugin with no crash report generated.
Have had many crashes using Nik Viveza 2 - reported on a different post.

Thom

Windows 10 pro
i7 with 32 gig of board memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Hardware Acceleration is not enabled.

b2dc68cc-b5d4-4fa6-9b43-54b9f4df765e.dmp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not know anything about computers . . . .  Affinity photo is causing problems with my computer overheating, I'm afraid it will crash so turn it off before this.  It is extremely slow and unresponsive.  I will go to Best Buy and see if their geek squad can help me.  Please tell me how fix this problem (or what to tell the technician) as to what to do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, biomed32uk said:

here are some crash reports ...

Always crashes in libraster.dll due to a write access violation ...

Quote

Operating system: Windows NT
                  6.2.19041 804
CPU: amd64
     family 6 model 158 stepping 11
     4 CPUs

GPU: UNKNOWN

Crash reason:  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION_WRITE
Crash address: 0x0

Process uptime: 1175 seconds

Thread 19 (crashed)
 0  libraster.dll + 0x16c09c0

    rax = 0x0000000000000000   rdx = 0x0000000000000000
    rcx = 0x0000000000000000   rbx = 0x000001d9458dac50
    rsi = 0x0000000000000000   rdi = 0x000001d943028890
    rbp = 0x00007ffbc94208c0   rsp = 0x0000005bbf5ff3e0
     r8 = 0x0000000000000008    r9 = 0x0000005bbf5ff358
    r10 = 0x0000000000000019   r11 = 0x0000000000000246
    r12 = 0x0000000000000600   r13 = 0x000000000000022c
    r14 = 0x0000000000000000   r15 = 0x0000005bc3dfe720
    rip = 0x00007ffbc7d509c0

...

...

 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.5 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.5 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Roar said:

Just had a crash when clicked "Develop" - Crash Report attached.
Have had crash when using a Topaz Plugin with no crash report generated.
Have had many crashes using Nik Viveza 2 - reported on a different post.

Thom

Windows 10 pro
i7 with 32 gig of board memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Hardware Acceleration is not enabled.

Yours crashed due to nvwgf2umx.dll which is a Nvidia driver issue ...

Quote

Operating system: Windows NT
                  6.2.18362 1350
CPU: amd64
     family 6 model 158 stepping 10
     12 CPUs

GPU: UNKNOWN

Crash reason:  EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW
Crash address: 0x7ffe62590b3c
Process uptime: 87163 seconds

Thread 202 (crashed)
 0  nvwgf2umx.dll + 0x230b3c

    rax = 0x0000618ca21f2500   rdx = 0x0000026c3b19d8a0
    rcx = 0x0000612e965e8500   rbx = 0x0000026be32e3748
    rsi = 0x0000026c3b19d8a0   rdi = 0x0000026c3b19d8a0
    rbp = 0x000000a23441a100   rsp = 0x000000a23441a000
     r8 = 0x0000026be32e3748    r9 = 0x0000000000000040
    r10 = 0x0000000000000000   r11 = 0x000000a23441f728
    r12 = 0x0000026db1b51d80   r13 = 0x0000000000000000
    r14 = 0x0000026db1b51d80   r15 = 0x0000026be42ac9c0
    rip = 0x00007ffe62590b3c
    Found by: given as instruction pointer in context

You may have to see if there is a newer or alternate working Nvidia driver (a try & error procedure), uninstall the actual one completely (wipe it out from disk) and reinstall the maybe newer Nvidia driver freshly new.

See also related here the thread ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.5 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.5 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
13 hours ago, biomed32uk said:

Thanks for the crash reports. It's showing that your system has ran out of memory. The crash occurs when we're requesting 64K of memory, which is a tiny amount. This generally only happens when the drive with the Windows page file on is full up.

How much RAM do you have? How much spare disk space do you have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nita Reed said:

Two things...

People are told to uninstall drivers..."completely...wiped from disk...then install the newer driver".

Also, generate crash reports.

Can someone translate lol?  Instructions for the barely-functional over here, please.

Ok, let's try to explain in short what that overall means.

The Affinity software is build in a manner that during it's execution, in case some some crash happens with the software, it catches and writes back a so called crash dump file (a crash report), which contains a memory image of the last state of it's executed instructions in memory (so a sort of momentary memory image state during a crashing). For Windows systems Affinity Photo for example would write such a dmp crash file then into the "%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports\*.dmp" file path. Meaning here, if a dump file has been generated by Affinity Photo during a crash, the file would reside and can be found under that file system location.

Such crash dump files can give the developers a backtrace indication of where (during what execution state) and so hopefully the reason why the software crashed. Depending on the reason for a crash (note that there are a bunch different reasons possible) the developers can fix the problem, if it occurs to be some bug in their own code. In case the crash reason is due to some other third party code library, or some system driver component etc., they can at least identify this cause.

So for the above advice here ("to uninstall drivers...completely...wiped from disk...then install the newer driver") it's in this case only relevant, if the indicated cause of the crash (in the crash report) is associated to the graphics card driver. - As said before, there can be different reasons for crashes, thus it always highly depends on what an individual crash report finally yields as the cause of all evil here.

 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.5 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.5 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks for the crash reports. It's showing that your system has ran out of memory. The crash occurs when we're requesting 64K of memory, which is a tiny amount. This generally only happens when the drive with the Windows page file on is full up.

How much RAM do you have? How much spare disk space do you have?

Thaks for the feedback - interesting, I have 16gb RAM and try to keep whats running at a minimum. I did see the memory usage going right up when Affinity was running. I have 2tb primary HDD drive with plenty of space. Let me check into the paging file settings and see whats happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
48 minutes ago, Edwin de Kuiper said:

Total crach all the time after a couple of minutes. I need to go back to 1.8

32Gb of memory, a lot of space, no time to create crach reports because I have to hard reboot

The crash reports should be saved in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Ok, let's try to explain in short what that overall means.

The Affinity software is build in a manner that during it's execution, in case some some crash happens with the software, it catches and writes back a so called crash dump file (a crash report), which contains a memory image of the last state of it's executed instructions in memory (so a sort of momentary memory image state during a crashing). For Windows systems Affinity Photo for example would write such a dmp crash file then into the "%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports\*.dmp" file path. Meaning here, if a dump file has been generated by Affinity Photo during a crash, the file would reside and can be found under that file system location.

Such crash dump files can give the developers a backtrace indication of where (during what execution state) and so hopefully the reason why the software crashed. Depending on the reason for a crash (note that there are a bunch different reasons possible) the developers can fix the problem, if it occurs to be some bug in their own code. In case the crash reason is due to some other third party code library, or some system driver component etc., they can at least identify this cause.

So for the above advice here ("to uninstall drivers...completely...wiped from disk...then install the newer driver") it's in this case only relevant, if the indicated cause of the crash (in the crash report) is associated to the graphics card driver. - As said before, there can be different reasons for crashes, thus it always highly depends on what an individual crash report finally yields as the cause of all evil here.

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nita Reed said:

here's the last one:

It crashed in file KernelBase.dll, which is a DLL file stored in the system folder of the Windows operating system. This library (DLL) is created automatically during the installation of the Windows operating system. KernelBase.dll is usually used to launch .exe applications. When it is corrupt, you will get .dll missing or not found errors when you start the programs.

Do other applications than Affinity Photo start and run under your Windows user account normally without crashes?

Quote

Operating system: Windows NT
                  6.2.19041 804
CPU: amd64
     family 23 model 24 stepping 1
     4 CPUs

GPU: UNKNOWN

Crash reason:  0xc0020001 / 0x00000001
Crash address: 0x7ff9505cd759
Process uptime: 126073 seconds

Thread 0 (crashed)
 0  KERNELBASE.dll + 0x2d759

    rax = 0x0000000000000000   rdx = 0xffffffffffffffff
    rcx = 0x0000000000000070   rbx = 0x00000257e299e570
    rsi = 0x0000000000000000   rdi = 0x0000025799b0ec00
    rbp = 0x000000d4309fea80   rsp = 0x000000d4309fe950
     r8 = 0x0000000000000000    r9 = 0x0000000000000000
    r10 = 0x0000000000000000   r11 = 0x0000000000000000
    r12 = 0x00000257e299e570   r13 = 0x000000000000001d
    r14 = 0x0000000000000000   r15 = 0x0000000000000000
    rip = 0x00007ff9505cd759
    Found by: given as instruction pointer in context
 1  KERNELBASE.dll + 0x2d759
    rbp = 0x000000d4309fea80   rsp = 0x000000d4309fe988
    rip = 0x00007ff9505cd759
    Found by: stack scanning
 2  CoreMessaging.dll + 0x1a6e1
    rbp = 0x000000d4309fea80   rsp = 0x000000d4309fe9a0
    rip = 0x00007ff94d75a6e1
    Found by: stack scanning
 3  clr.dll + 0x156d65
    rbp = 0x000000d4309fea80   rsp = 0x000000d4309fe9d0
    rip = 0x00007ff925f16d65
    Found by: stack scanning
 4  ntdll.dll + 0x37c77
    rbp = 0x000000d4309fea80   rsp = 0x000000d4309fe9e0
    rip = 0x00007ff952a87c77
    Found by: stack scanning
 5  clr.dll + 0x14ab75
    rbp = 0x000000d4309fea80   rsp = 0x000000d4309fea00
    rip = 0x00007ff925f0ab75
    Found by: stack scanning
 6  ntdll.dll + 0x37d93
    rbp = 0x000000d4309fea80   rsp = 0x000000d4309fea10
    rip = 0x00007ff952a87d93
    Found by: stack scanning

 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.5 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.5 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

It crashed in file KernelBase.dll, which is a DLL file stored in the system folder of the Windows operating system. This library (DLL) is created automatically during the installation of the Windows operating system. KernelBase.dll is usually used to launch .exe applications. When it is corrupt, you will get .dll missing or not found errors when you start the programs.

Do other applications than Affinity Photo start and run under your Windows user account normally without crashes?

 

I have no crashes in any other instances...

And, AP 1.8.5 never crashed either...

So that shows a problem with windows 10?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nita Reed said:

So that shows a problem with windows 10?

Usually since it crashes somewhere there around KernelBase.dll and it seems to be dependent (at least according to your crash dump output). - Though @Mark Ingram can tell you here much more concrete the exact cause/reason, since he is able to pass that crash dump output into appropriate Windows tools for debugging the whole (Dumpchk.exe, WinDbg.exe, VS etc.) in order to examine any APh dependencies then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.5 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.5 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.