You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apps won't launch on Win10 after Upgrade to 1.9

• Staff

It was originally in your thread, I split it on purpose! I have no plan to merge it is unlikely to help you or them

1. They are french and may need native support 
  2. Their problem may not be the same and should have it's own investigation.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, simono said:

Don't really understand. Nicolas can obviously understand technical english. I speak english, french, german, esperanto and can read in a few other languages. He probably simply does not feel comfortable writing in english.

His problem is in the installer, which is different to your problem. We try to have 1 thread per problem, else it quickly gets difficult to manage.

22 minutes ago, simono said:

Has the information that Wondershare is using two utilities gpuTest.exe and oclTest.exe to test the graphics system prior to launching Filmora and in my specific case blocking all hw acceleration options been passed on to the Affinity developers?

Yes, I am the lead engineer on Windows.

Can you try this beta build, and see if it let's you open the application. It will crash the first time you run it, but then it will block the hardware on the next run, preventing the crash and allowing you to run the application. After the first run (after the first crash), can you upload the file:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\cl.dat

That will contain a log of the crash for us to investigate further. As I say, on the second run, it should work fine.

17 minutes ago, simono said:

Please give me a proper URL for the beta build. All the "click here"s within this tool don't download anything. I just land in other threads.

Though there seems to be still some problem with toggling on/off the OpenCL setting here then for this beta, as some people report so far.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, simono said:

Dong, dong, dong, dong!

I ran the beta again after copying the Settings directory into the beta area.

Reacted the same, no apparent difference, no cl.dat file.

Your PerformancePreferences.xml file still didn't contain the entry for UseHardwareAcceleration. Paste the following into the file and try again:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Settings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xsi:type="Serif.Interop.Persona.Settings.PerformanceSettings">
    <RAMUsageLimit>
        <UnitType>Megabyte</UnitType>
        <Value>8192</Value>
    </RAMUsageLimit>
    <DiskWarningLimit>
        <UnitType>Megabyte</UnitType>
        <Value>32768</Value>
    </DiskWarningLimit>
    <UndoLimit>1024</UndoLimit>
    <ViewQuality>1</ViewQuality>
    <AutoSaveInterval>
        <UnitType>Number</UnitType>
        <Value>300</Value>
    </AutoSaveInterval>
    <UsePerfectClipping>False</UsePerfectClipping>
    <UseDithering>False</UseDithering>
    <RetinaPassIndex>0</RetinaPassIndex>
    <UseHardwareAcceleration>True</UseHardwareAcceleration>
</Settings>

I suppose that's what you call defensive programming. 🙂

I do think the test should take place on every Affinity launch. Who knows? Maybe my machine might somehow get into a state in which openCL actually works.

Please inform me when I can download an official non-beta version.

Who is actually responsible for this nasty compatibility issue?

If you want to test anything on my machine you are welcome to fire up TeamViewer.

2 hours ago, simono said:

I suppose that's what you call defensive programming. 🙂

I do think the test should take place on every Affinity launch. Who knows? Maybe my machine might somehow get into a state in which openCL actually works.

Please inform me when I can download an official non-beta version.

Who is actually responsible for this nasty compatibility issue?

If you want to test anything on my machine you are welcome to fire up TeamViewer.

Thanks for trying again. Looking at that log, your OpenCL driver is crashing in the following function clGetPlatformIDs. This is part of a driver that is installed by Windows I believe. I would be interested in comparing the OpenCL.dll you have on your system, to the one I have. Could you zip up the file C:\Windows\System32\OpenCL.dll and attach it here for me to try please?

I'm glad the app finally starts for you!