My bad, sorry for misunderstanding.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.3 | Affinity Photo 1.9.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 hours ago, Edmund DelSol said:

Your video applies to text styles (TSt). I was referring to those other graphic styles in the specialty/decorative styles panels (Styles). Here is a another problem with the use of the term 'styles' that needs cleaning up in the Aff Design UI. See attached image. If you know how to clear these easily---other than History--would love to get that tip.

It's easy to see why @Old Bruce was confused, when you said that you wanted to select some Text and have it reset to its normal appearance.

Your screenshot of the Styles panel  helps show what Styles you were talking about, but in what context do you apply those to Text? Can you show us a screenshot of what you've done, and what you want it to look like instead?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

On 1/29/2019 at 1:59 PM, walt.farrell said:

Good description of the behavior.

And we have such a menu item: Edit > Defaults > Revert

If applied when an object is selected, it affects just that object. If applied with no object selected, it reverts all the defaults.

You also have an icon that does the same thing: image.png.4b8065d72cfd06d3293d4adf772d4672.png

OK. This works. You can ignore my video. I will take some blame but I will harp on UI intuitiveness needing a boost. I bought the books and I have to keep going back to them too often.

3 minutes ago, Edmund DelSol said:

OK. This works. You can ignore my video. I will take some blame but I will harp on UI intuitiveness needing a boost. I bought the books and I have to keep going back to them too often.

@walt.farrell I made a video before this but hid it since you presented the solution. Thank you.

Part of my video comment is still valid:

Since Affinity is a UK Company, home of the English dictionary no less, I'm thinking that they should have above normal facility with words.

How about 'Styles' for TSt and 'Patterns' for the styles that we are discussing here. Just a thought.

As a programmer... I certainly understand that "reverting" to an unknown state  - is problematic.

As a use-case  --  If I draw out a detailed shape with the pen tool, it may or may not have a stroke / but it might!

I guess there's no agreed upon "default" - but undo is not really a solution. I might set a style to the shape and do 400 things - and then decide that set of effects isn't working. I'd want to set it to some raw/default. Instead, I can go and uncheck all of the effects in the style.

Could we then - decide for ourselves what a "Default" style was / create a style with those attributes and values - and name it "default" - and then have a go-to to strip your average applied style?

1 hour ago, Edmund DelSol said:

OK. This works. You can ignore my video.

Alternatively, you can make a "default" style.

Create a shape (say, a rectangle), with no Fill and no Stroke. Create a Style from it.

Now, if you need to reset some fancy text, select the text and click on your "default" Style. You will notice that the text seems to disappear, but that's because it has lost its font color. That is easily recovered by setting it from the Font Color pulldown on the Context Toolbar with the text selected. You can pick whatever color you want, but for black use the one I show below:

image.png.c35b76dc0db410ede8d5d7d03a274d84.png

This has the advantage over Revert Defaults in that it does not change the font size. You still need the extra step of setting the font color again, but I think in general that might be simpler than resetting the font size, especially if the affected  text had multiple sizes.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

Nice idea Walt, I will try this. It is still a workaround though. I hope that the Affinity folks who designed this feature did so from meaningful use cases. Maybe I am employing these (patterns/stylistic styles :) ) oddly, but they seem to need a little more through on usability.