You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to save any more ...

Serious Bug in latest Beta - file will fail on save and leave corrupted data. FIle can't be loaded any more. Bug is reproducable.
File was generated from scratch including imported JPGs

Cheers, Timo

Photo_OXyc1lYV4k.jpg.5e2e86927ce9e9dc64e316e1b05388ed.jpg

Just realised that the problem seems to be bigger ... this is what the error message for the same process looks in the productive version ...:-(

Photo_OfwnNYdsES.jpg.7f8ec245392a1194ad05ac64521857a5.jpg

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

This looks exactly like the Error I had some time ago, but it seemed to be fixed for me. Did you find a repeatable scenario to reproduce this? I just had this happen randomly, but it was long gone since I last had this issue.

Also, try the methods described here to fix this file, maybe they will work:

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

I could narrow the problem down. It is reproducable. Seems to be related to the customer file in JPG format. It can be imported without issues ... but you can't save it without error. The saved file exists but can't be opened any more. Of course all work is lost.

Now I also get 2 errors ...

B44vNFRbKd.jpg.b9b06069e82a285caedbe411e4cb4634.jpg

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

I have made some visuals in the productive version today, but have no problems at all. Have this with  AF files and jpg. 
After this openend a jpg in to the leatest beta,  export it  and reloaded without errors.  The same with the save of this file.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

Looks like the JPG format I'm importing causes the problem. When I load the JPG in PS and save it as JPG again the problem does not occur in AP any more.
Still I would expect AP to determine a faulty file format that can't be processed by the application - or deal with the errors and save it in an improved version - as PS does it.. In this case the faulty JPG seems to be imported correctly and you can work with it. But there's no way to save the file again.

2 hours ago, DarkClown said:

Looks like the JPG format I'm importing causes the problem. When I load the JPG in PS and save it as JPG again the problem does not occur in AP any more.
Still I would expect AP to determine a faulty file format that can't be processed by the application - or deal with the errors and save it in an improved version - as PS does it.. In this case the faulty JPG seems to be imported correctly and you can work with it. But there's no way to save the file again.

Indeed sounds like the source file format is challenging Affinity - doesn't have to be an error. Just something... unexpected.

Perhaps opening it in Photoshop and looking at File -> File info -> RAW data reveals some clues? Fx what program saved the jpg.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Well, it ends up beeing an serious error. Would be acceptable if the file import would come up with an error - but you can work with the file. Only on saving the file everything fails. It says 8BIM Header (Mac). I need to check, how the file was generated.

Does the file work properly in 1.8?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, DarkClown said:

Well, it ends up being an serious error. Would be acceptable if the file import would come up with an error - but you can work with the file. Only on saving the file everything fails. It says 8BIM Header (Mac). I need to check, how the file was generated.

Sure, the error in Photo is real and serious. And possibly a bug in Affinity Photo. The file though could be ok - it smells like there is a chunk of data in that jpg that Affinity doesn't yet recognize and filter out or handle.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21743418/adding-8bim-profile-metadata-to-a-tiff-image-file

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

45 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I cant recreate this - I do wonder if the afphoto file you are saving over is important. Also is here anything unusual about the drive it is stored on ?

I'm saving over a file that was created from scratch from a previous recording - showing the same error when it was saved for the first time ... I uploaded you the file that was generated and ended up with the error. As well as all files required to reproduce the error as shown in the video ... I'm saving on a external NAS ...

• Staff

Could you let me know make the make of Nas and how you connect to it (USB/Network). I've logged the corrupt file to see if we can gather any information from it. If you have the time could you also try to recreate teh issue on a local drive - I dont have access to a NAS due to working from home sadly

It's a Synology DS1618+ connected via WLAN ...
I'll check if there's a difference If I work on a local drive.

Edit: Just checked and the error does not seem to appear on a local SSD ...

2 hours ago, DarkClown said:

It's a Synology DS1618+ connected via WLAN ...
I'll check if there's a difference If I work on a local drive.

Edit: Just checked and the error does not seem to appear on a local SSD ...

Serif generally does not recommend working directly from a NAS drive. And there have been specific reports in these forums about issues using Synology:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=Synology

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Bummer ... (thanks Walt!)

In this case I guess the behaviour is "by Design" and I better not follow up on it.
Or should I blame Synology for not adapting to WAFS "Worldwide Affinity File Standards"? ;-) I think that sounds better 🙂

I guess case closed. Need to hurry to get another internal drive before christmas  ...
Cheers, Timo

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.