You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Usability request] Add New fill layer to layers panel and more

Do it for the children, at least:

1. Add New fill layer to the layers panel - it makes no sense to isolate it in the layers menu.
  2. When the fill layer is created - it would be a good idea to pop up a colour picker like Photoshop does - chances are... that will be your next step in your workflow. It simply speeds up the workflow and saves you time and swear words.

image.png.e81b95e3ca0fdfc9f40234942c98871f.png 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

5 hours ago, Jowday said:

Add New fill layer to the layers panel - it makes no sense to isolate it in the layers menu.

Agreed...  and same goes with pattern layers.

5 hours ago, Jowday said:

it would be a good idea to pop up a colour picker

You can use the color panel or the swatches panel for this.  Most users are likely to have one of those visible already.

Suggest instead that double-clicking on the layer in the Layers panel should pop up a color picker.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Agreed...  and same goes with pattern layers.

You can use the color panel or the swatches panel for this.  Most users are likely to have one of those visible already.

Suggest instead that double-clicking on the layer in the Layers panel should pop up a color picker.

I prefer that Designer spare me these clicks and activate the color picker directly - the more the better. There are so many required extra clicks and actions in Affinity.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

44 minutes ago, RNKLN said:

unless it isn't, in which case you have to click away the just popped-up panel.

But that is extremely rare. 

6 hours ago, RNKLN said:

unless it isn't, in which case you have to click away the just popped-up panel.

The general idea here is that when you create an adjustmemt layer, you are presented with a dialog with its options. 

3 hours ago, anon2 said:

😢😢😢😭🤮

You asked for the word. Yes?

6 hours ago, anon2 said:

I think the intention of my post wasn't clear. It was making fun of the stream of "sad" emoticons that was being posted by a particular member of the forum.

I thought so. 🙂

A stream of nothing.

13 hours ago, anon2 said:

I think the intention of my post wasn't clear. It was making fun of the stream of "sad" emoticons that was being posted by a particular member of the forum.

This is what the member is saying with the emoticons:

4nd2n5.jpg

29 minutes ago, IPv6 said:

Sorry, use fill layers frequently... never used popup
New fill layer -> Swatch color click (panel already opened) -> Done

You and I are two individuals - thats why these decisions ultimatively should be made by a professional with responsibility for the the whole user interface across all apps. Workflows included. And a professional with extensive knowledge about users and workflows. User testing etc.

The point though - about the studio - and other settings popping up when you create adjustment layers is that if you do not have the studio open - or if you are working in full screen view - you can create these adjustment layers and not have to look for settings. In those scenarios it is easier to hit ESC than to look for something.

In a program like Photo I would personally have the color studio closed/hidden and in Photo the color picker is removed from the tools toolbar when it is set to one column view (Photoshops shows a smaller one).

Many variables - and lots and lots of work for a user experience designer.