aymanzone

Pandagm game publisher wants me to use their joboptions file - AP

hi

Pandagm.com Publisher have asked me to export their "Panda_FOGRA 39_Export_Profile.joboptions" to InDesign. Is there way I can the same for Affinity Publisher?
I've attached the steps they gave for InDesign via website https://pandagm.com/tools. I don't know what/why this file is.
I'm using Windows OS.

Also, the process is very complicated unless you guys can recommend another publisher lol. I'm making a card game.

Panda_export_profile-Instructions-v1.pdf

hi @v_kyr

The pandagm design document says "... use the color profile FOGRA 39 (ISO12647-2) to match our factory’s color calibration." Is that same as Coated FOGRA 39 (ISO12647-2:2004) in Affinity Photo? 

My project manager at pandagm has not been much help because perhaps she is very busy. 

1. Are these two FOGRA39s the same thing? (I think yes)

2. Would you know a course or workshop/resource I can look at to sort of help get my bearings? Thank you.

I really don't want go back to Adobe products and blindly follow directions, so just bought Affinity 😛

Thanks

Edited by aymanzone

The PANDA job options do not have anything specific defined in them. You  basically just need to have Coated Fogra 39 as the document profile in a CMYK/8 document and then export using the PDF (press ready) settings with a couple of modifications.

So when you create  a new document, do this:

newdoc_color.jpg.c1a1f7aa9aadd3e8d14436be03b9f5b7.jpg 

...and when you export, do this (select PDF 1.6 compatibility -- this is not a big deal but nevertheless meets the specs by the PANDA joboptions -- and uncheck embed ICC profile):

exportsettings_mod.jpg.327fe541bc9f4465ca5a6db4f620a008.jpg

When you work with your document, see that your black text objects have CMY values set to 0 and only use black ink (this is especially important if you need to change the document color profile since if you change by converting from one CMYK profile to another rather than assigning, which is the other option when changing a profile and one that would be used in most situations where a minor profile change is made, the current color assignments change, and especially the K100 objects change to four-color blacks, so if this happens, you need to change back the K100 objects to K100). You should preferably assign all native objects CMYK color values, and place all your images using RGB color space. This way your PDF export will go smoothly and without surprises.

hi @Lagarto

Thanks for reply but I'm confused on a few things

1) 

In your first screenshot, I'm assuming Page Width and Page Height will be different for me because I'm making poker sized cards? 

2)

Where did you get "Create Artboard" option in your first screenshot? I've never seen that before.

3)

In you second screenshot (which I'm assuming is from Affinity Publisher) how did you get the Preset field to be empty?

4)

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

You should preferably assign all native objects CMYK color values, and place all your images using RGB color space.

I've converted RGB color space to CMYK FOAGRA39 color space in Affinity Photo.

In Affinity Photo I also made CMYK text = 0, 0, 0, 100. And made border of my poker size cards CMYK = 40, 0, 0, 100 (as per pandagm design document) and made sure to not use rich black i.e. CMYK (total) < 298%.

Thank you

For Q1. and Q2. Lagarto has used Affinity Designer to screenshot the New Document settings, in Affinity Publisher artboards aren’t an option for new documents and the size option is just the default for an A4 sheet so, yes, your size will be different. 

Affinity Publisher new document settings, the size in the page width & page height are for "poker size cards.”
Ignore the margins option I forgot to uncheck that.
image.png.ed1265d1bc1030144e46b0c73ae2a1d4.png

These are the Affinity Photo new document options, added for clarity
image.png.7b621e0b16ad1bd4bac4d397bd8fccd1.png

Just to clarify which app are you designing these cards in?

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

hi @firstdefence

40 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Just to clarify which app are you designing these cards in?

1) I've designed and created these cards in Affinity Photo because they are raster images. File extensions  .afphoto. I have create a .afphoto file for each card. I have 60 cards. They are converted and properly done in CMYK FOGRA39.

2) I will then open these .afphoto files in Affinity publisher and print them as a .pdf. 

That's it.

From your question I feel I may be doing something wrong? I'm assuming I should avoid using .png because it's not good for CMYK (I think?). Therefore I'm assuming it's safer to just use .afphoto files.

No one told me, I just assume it's these two steps as correct.

Thanks

A bit history: I initially designed these in GIMP 2.10 in sRGB and finalized the prototype on TheGameCrafter.com. But recently I found out about CMYK. This was an amazing video about CMYK ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZc9TjRZjrA ) but I saw other videos as well. 

Edited by aymanzone

On 10/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, aymanzone said:

3)

In you second screenshot (which I'm assuming is from Affinity Publisher) how did you get the Preset field to be empty?

It will automatically be emptied if you in any way modify an existing preset.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, aymanzone said:

In Affinity Photo I also made CMYK text = 0, 0, 0, 100. And made border of my poker size cards CMYK = 40, 0, 0, 100 (as per pandagm design document) and made sure to not use rich black i.e. CMYK (total) < 298%.

Sorry, I did not reallize that you create this in Affinity Photo (rather than Publisher). But to avoid four-color black (if this is wanted) in certain specific elements (e.g. the border) then the same applies to Photo: you should design the file in CMYK color mode using the Coated Fogra 39 profile so that unexpected conversions do not happen at export time. So just ignore what I mentioned about RGB images (that is a common workflow when you work with Publisher, getting e.g. photos in in RGB color mode and defining text and native Publisher objects like vector graphics in CMYK mode). But if there are elements in bitmaps where keeping black as K only is critical, then those bitmaps should also be in CMYK format and use the same color profile as the Publisher document (in case you intend to create the final print PDF there).

Note that "rich black" means creating black color with more inks than just black (that is, you also have C, M and Y values) -- it does not mean using more color than the total area coverage of the profile allows (though it is clear that such a color value within a Coated Fogra 39 kind of high-ink tolerant profile is always a "rich black"). 

5 hours ago, aymanzone said:

2)

Where did you get "Create Artboard" option in your first screenshot? I've never seen that before.

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Lagarto has used Affinity Designer to screenshot the New Document settings, in Affinity Publisher artboards aren’t an option for new documents

It must have been a screenshot from Publisher as it included the "Default Master" option.

But as you say, firstdefence, usually the "Create Artboard" option is not present in Publisher. However, it is present if you do the File > New operation from the Designer Persona in Publisher. That will give you both options ("Default Master" and "Create Artboard").

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.891 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.891 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.887 Beta.

5 hours ago, aymanzone said:

From your question I feel I may be doing something wrong? I'm assuming I should avoid using .png because it's not good for CMYK (I think?). Therefore I'm assuming it's safer to just use .afphoto files.

PNG does not support CMYK or color profiles so if it is important to specify color values in CMYK in a raster image and have them untranslated to the print PDF, you should have them in Photo format using the same CMYK color profile (Coated Fogra 39) that you are going to use in Publisher to produce the print PDFs

Wow thank you to everyone! 

Thank you @Lagarto, @firstdefence, @walt.farrell and @v_kyr for taking the time. I don't know what I have would done without it.

@Lagarto, how were you able to translate the .joboptions file? It's 300+ lines of text. Thank you.

I think @Affinity Support  might want to translate .jopoptions files from common publishers like (Pandagm, etc) and maybe stick it somewhere on the site. I'm sure there are a lot of users who have had to go back to adobe just because of that - although I'm newbie so I might not know what I'm talking about. Perhaps maybe @Affinity Support can put up a page on how to read .jopoptions? I don't know. This sounds like a complicated thing. 

Cheers and Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, aymanzone said:

@Lagarto, how were you able to translate the .joboptions file? It's 300+ lines of text. Thank you.

I opened it in InDesign and just checked whether it used any custom settings worth noting. Things to check are the profile, whether specific PDF standard / compatibility mode is applied, the recommended compression rate and downsampling trigger and method, and possibly usage of bleeds and other printer marks (no bleeds or printer marks were specified but this may be job specific so always best to check separately). But the PANDA profile is more or less "plain vanilla" press ready profile so the mentioned minor modifications are the only ones to make the basic Affinity press ready profile fully compatible.

2 hours ago, aymanzone said:

...might want to translate .jopoptions files from common publishers...

Those are just Adobe related Options-settings files (/KEY value), you can also open them with any text editor and inspect their contents and the made settings inside there. From the Adobe options key names there it's mostly obvious what these options stand for and the values indicate the made settings (numeric values, or booleans ... aka if something is set/unset etc.) and what profiles are associated for the PDF export process that joboption file handles.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.8.4 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.8.4 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Hi, @aymanzone There is a feedback section for each app and affinity in general here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-feedback/ you can post a feature request there. 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions